Canceling my UPITT Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh man I know I'm going to get heat for this one, but I'm considering canceling my interview next week.

Although I'm sure those who are waiting for UPITT interviews are swooning at another fellow applicant ready to withdraw so they have the opportunity to interview, can anyone give me an honest accessment about what they thought about the school, and if it is worth seeing. I've done a fair share of interviews now, and I'm getting pretty tired of doing the same song and dance. Was UPITT worth going to visit?

I know the curriculum is awesome, it's ranked really highly, and it is P/F; any other redeeming qualities about the school? Thanks (and for those waiting for UPITT interviews, please don't hate me!) :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

It's everything that you said, PLUS the area is easily accessible by public transportation, is very safe and affordable. I guess you need to think about whether you could LIVE in Pittsburgh. That, aside from its academic reputation, is why I'm all hung up on it. I think it's the only place I would leave Chicago for.

I had a pre-secondary interview invite a month ago but still have not booked the interview. I know Upitt is a great medical school, but I am just not excited about going there. As most people would agree, location is one of the most important selection criteria, and I just can't see myself being happy in Pittsburgh from what I have heard. From what I know, it is a blue-collar, small, limited young/nightlife/singles scene, narrow, not diverse (applies to me especially since I am a minority), provincial-steel mill town. Having gone to school in Boston and now working here in New York City, Pittsburgh would be a step down.

Better cities than Pittsburgh on the list are:

New York
Boston
Washington D.C.
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Philadelphia

The reason why Pittsburgh is so affordable is because no one wants to live there...

Members don't see this ad :)
true. and don't forget allegheny country has a huge geriatric population, second only to somewhere in FL.

Okay, well, somebody has to say it. I wish you luck in the application process, but heck, cancel your interview and open up another slot for me :p

Truthfully I only hear good things about Pitt. And people say Pittsburgh is actually a nice place to live, it just has a bad rep.

The other question is whether you have any acceptances. If not, I'd say go to all interviews available to you. If you do, and you really aren't interested in the school, there's no reason not to cancel the interview.

mbadoc said:

New York
Boston
Washington D.C.
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Philadelphia

The reason why Pittsburgh is so affordable is because no one wants to live there...

Having spent time in all the aforementioned cities and grown up near Pgh, for medical school Pittsburgh compares pretty favorably.

Basically I wouldn't take Pittsburgh over most of the cities on that list IF I HAD A JOB (Philly and Boston excluded), but when you're living on 20k a year you can afford to have a way higher quality of life in Pittsburgh.

The Oakland/Shadyside neighborhood is basically a college town inside Pittsburgh, with Pitt, CMU, Carlow, Duquesne, etc. students all over. Obviously there are a lot more non-whites there than in the city proper (CMU alone is like 25% Asian). A lot of students don't even leave that area much because it has everything they want.

MesoCompound said:
Oh man I know I'm going to get heat for this one, but I'm considering canceling my interview next week.

Although I'm sure those who are waiting for UPITT interviews are swooning at another fellow applicant ready to withdraw so they have the opportunity to interview, can anyone give me an honest accessment about what they thought about the school, and if it is worth seeing. I've done a fair share of interviews now, and I'm getting pretty tired of doing the same song and dance. Was UPITT worth going to visit?

I know the curriculum is awesome, it's ranked really highly, and it is P/F; any other redeeming qualities about the school? Thanks (and for those waiting for UPITT interviews, please don't hate me!) :oops:

So, I attend Pitt and therefore cannot give a completely unbiased opinion...that out of the way:

You would be missing out if you didn’t come see the school for yourself. I applied here almost on a whim (long story), but after my interview I was so impressed that Pitt became one of my top choices. Now that I attend here, I’m extremely glad I took the time to check it out - I couldn’t be happier with my decision to come here.

The students here are amazing – they are extremely intelligent and still know how to have a really good time (perhaps too much at times :laugh: .) There is no competitiveness; my classmates are always sharing notes and knowledge gained from previous courses/experiences that help everyone do better in their classes. We are a VERY tight class…best of friends.

The administration is simply amazing. They go out of their way to ensure that the students are happy and that we have access to the opportunities we want to participate in while in school. For instance: study abroad programs, the formation of special interest groups (complete with faculty advisors that are excited to be with students), research opportunities, etc. The school is VERY student/teaching oriented. (The admissions office was/is behind on interview invites…but give ‘em a break, they just started a new method for admissions.)

As far as impressive points: If you are into research, the school gets a ridiculous amount of funding from NIH (ranked 7 in the nation I think…putting it above some “top-ten” schools as far as funding goes.) I see the results of this every day and have a myriad of research opportunities to choose from when I start my summer research in a few months. Pitt is home of the Starzl Transplant Institute – Dr. Starzl was the first to perform a human liver transplantation and in the 80’s set up the Institute here. Pittsburgh was the world-wide mecca of transplantation during that decade and still has one of the best (if not the best) transplantation programs in the world. Many of the residency programs here are considered “top 20” if not “top ten.” Excellent peds program, 5 hospitals within walking distance (useful during rotations,) an awesome simulation lab, emergency medicine, orthopedics, etc. etc. etc.

The city, while not “New York”, has a lot to offer. The idea that it is a dirty steel-mill city is a reputation it carries from what life was like here over a decade ago. In my opinion, the city has more to offer than med students can take advantage of. Not that we don’t have time to go out…but we’re also not hitting the streets every night of the week. There are plenty of clubs, bars, museums, concerts, sport games, etc. to attend. If you are looking for a place to see a Broadway show every night…don’t come here…but you may also want to consider your decision to go into medicine (or hope that you learn everything that you need to know without studying at all.) I’ve heard no complaints about the city from my classmates…and I love the place.

Ok…I’m done. I think I wrote more here than I did for my personal statement back in the day.

Bottom line: if you already know what school you are going to attend next year and are dead-set on it, don’t come out for the interview. Otherwise, I think you will be pleasantly surprised during your visit…and afterwards will hope you get in.

Feebus said:
So, I attend Pitt and therefore cannot give a completely unbiased opinion...that out of the way:

You would be missing out if you didn’t come see the school for yourself. I applied here almost on a whim (long story), but after my interview I was so impressed that Pitt became one of my top choices. Now that I attend here, I’m extremely glad I took the time to check it out - I couldn’t be happier with my decision to come here.

The students here are amazing – they are extremely intelligent and still know how to have a really good time (perhaps too much at times :laugh: .) There is no competitiveness; my classmates are always sharing notes and knowledge gained from previous courses/experiences that help everyone do better in their classes. We are a VERY tight class…best of friends.

The administration is simply amazing. They go out of their way to ensure that the students are happy and that we have access to the opportunities we want to participate in while in school. For instance: study abroad programs, the formation of special interest groups (complete with faculty advisors that are excited to be with students), research opportunities, etc. The school is VERY student/teaching oriented. (The admissions office was/is behind on interview invites…but give ‘em a break, they just started a new method for admissions.)

As far as impressive points: If you are into research, the school gets a ridiculous amount of funding from NIH (ranked 7 in the nation I think…putting it above some “top-ten” schools as far as funding goes.) I see the results of this every day and have a myriad of research opportunities to choose from when I start my summer research in a few months. Pitt is home of the Starzl Transplant Institute – Dr. Starzl was the first to perform a human liver transplantation and in the 80’s set up the Institute here. Pittsburgh was the world-wide mecca of transplantation during that decade and still has one of the best (if not the best) transplantation programs in the world. Many of the residency programs here are considered “top 20” if not “top ten.” Excellent peds program, 5 hospitals within walking distance (useful during rotations,) an awesome simulation lab, emergency medicine, orthopedics, etc. etc. etc.

The city, while not “New York”, has a lot to offer. The idea that it is a dirty steel-mill city is a reputation it carries from what life was like here over a decade ago. In my opinion, the city has more to offer than med students can take advantage of. Not that we don’t have time to go out…but we’re also not hitting the streets every night of the week. There are plenty of clubs, bars, museums, concerts, sport games, etc. to attend. If you are looking for a place to see a Broadway show every night…don’t come here…but you may also want to consider your decision to go into medicine (or hope that you learn everything that you need to know without studying at all.) I’ve heard no complaints about the city from my classmates…and I love the place.

Ok…I’m done. I think I wrote more here than I did for my personal statement back in the day.

Bottom line: if you already know what school you are going to attend next year and are dead-set on it, don’t come out for the interview. Otherwise, I think you will be pleasantly surprised during your visit…and afterwards will hope you get in.

:love:
great post! i drafted my letter of interest yesterday, after having been placed on a waitlist. i loved Pitt and i'm so glad i applied there, also on a whim.

does anybody know about waitlist movement, or how it works? i'm pretty sure i have a snowball's chance in hell, but still...

Feebus said:

appreciate the response, and - if I didn't already have an acceptance under my belt - I would give Pitt strong consideration; however, I opted to withdraw my application. Pitt is a fantastic school, and one need not only consult US news to see that, but I just don't think the city would suit me well.

Hence, another interview slot should open up for another one of ya'all. Best of luck!

tigress said:
Okay, well, somebody has to say it. I wish you luck in the application process, but heck, cancel your interview and open up another slot for me :p

Truthfully I only hear good things about Pitt. And people say Pittsburgh is actually a nice place to live, it just has a bad rep.

The other question is whether you have any acceptances. If not, I'd say go to all interviews available to you. If you do, and you really aren't interested in the school, there's no reason not to cancel the interview.

Hey I'm back... :D :D

I second what you said about hearing nothing but good things about the school.
The Assistant Director of admissions spoke here at Penn today!!!! From what she told us I think that Pitt is awesome!!!!!!

She did say that they like non-traditional students b/c of the experience they bring...and she also said that their curriculum tends to attract mostly extroverts to their school (they have every MS1 take a personality test to determine what will be the best study method for them at their medical school)..

This poster is clearly speaking from rumors he/she has heard, and obviously left an uneducated, very negatively biased reponse. I grew up outside of Boston, and I love the city- I have family in New York and if you like a huge, fast-paced city, expensive city, it certainly is a good choice. However, I spent the summer working/living it Pittsburgh and I was blown away by the experience. In fact, Pittsburgh is intellectual, is diverse, is full of young professionals/students, has plenty to do, is relatively inexpensive to live in, and is one of the safest cities in the US. I CAN say this because I've lived in both Boston and Pittsburgh. Sorry, I realize that this poster is a troll, but I couldn't help myself (i'm also holding an acceptance to Pitt) :D

mbadoc said:
I had a pre-secondary interview invite a month ago but still have not booked the interview. I know Upitt is a great medical school, but I am just not excited about going there. As most people would agree, location is one of the most important selection criteria, and I just can't see myself being happy in Pittsburgh from what I have heard. From what I know, it is a blue-collar, small, limited young/nightlife/singles scene, narrow, not diverse (applies to me especially since I am a minority), provincial-steel mill town. Having gone to school in Boston and now working here in New York City, Pittsburgh would be a step down.

New York
Boston
Washington D.C.
Chicago
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Philadelphia