Cancellations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaydoc3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we are into the interview season now (not that I have actually done any yet!), I thought it might be interesting to see where people have cancelled interviews at. I'll start off...

Personally, I have 14 offers, and have decided that 12 interviews would be my max, so I cancelled an interview at Christiana Care today, and will be cancelling one at UConn.

Members don't see this ad.

Keeping UCLA-Harbor, Arizona, New Mexico, Hennepin, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Maine, UCDavis, Loma Linda, UCIrvine, Stanford, Oregon, Maricopa, Regions, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Wright State.

Cancelled at Carolinas, Geisinger, UMASS, CWRU, Summa (Akron), Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Ohio State.

Rejected by UNC

Waiting on Madigan....but I can't really afford to go anyway. I would probably cancel more if I didn't have them lined up in such a way that the ones I really want are interspersed on a road trip with the ones I don't.

Cancelled at Peoria, Kalamazoo, Wright State, Geisinger, and York.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cancelled at Lansing, Wisconsin, Christiana care, St. John's detroit

Already cancelled UCLA-Olive View and Regions. Probably going to cancel Madigan, UCSD/Scripps, Stanford, Northwestern and USC-LAC.

SAMMO-THOSE ARE GREAT PROGRAMS. WHAT INTERVIEWS WILL YOU KEEP?

I cancelled or declined outright at Wright State, Missouri-Kansas City, Hennepin County, Maryland, Eastern Virginia, Arkansas, UT-Southwestern, Scott and White, Michigan State-Kalamazoo, York (PA), and Medical College of Virginia. I have been declined outright by Duke and Emory, waitlisted by Virginia, and have not heard from UNC, Carolinas, Indiana, Maine, Medical College of Georgia, Christiana, UConn, or Wisconsin. I kept East Carolina, Baton Rouge, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Orlando, Mayo, Jacksonville, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Wake Forest, Palmetto, and Ohio State.

EMEDPA-
Keeping Christ (Chicago), Indy, Hennepin, Oregon, Cook County, UC Davis, Cinci, Denver, Univ. Chicago, Maricopa and Harbor (and UCSF-Fresno if they decide to invite me). I would keep UCSD but they don't fit in my California week so I have to make two more trips out there just to interview at one program (Scripps can't interview me at the same time as UCSD). Plus, I don't think I have a good chance there anyway...only 6 spots, 4 of which are pretty certain to go to CA students. What d'ya think...am I stupid for dropping some of these??

SAMMO-NO WORRIES, YOU KEPT A LOT OF GREAT PROGRAMS, ALTHOUGH I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE KEPT STANFORD AND LAC/USC AS WELL. SEE MY RANT ABOUT THE OHSU PROGRAM AT THE THREAD "TOP TEN EM RESIDENCIES" on this forum FOR A LOCAL PRACTITIONERS TAKE ON THEIR PROGRAM(ACADEMIC EM, WEAK TRAUMA, FIGHT FOR PROCEDURES DAILY BASICALLY). BEST OF LUCK-E

I'm considering cancelling UC-Davis, Christ (chicago), Oregon and/orWake Forest.

I'm keeping UMKC, Hennepin, Mayo, U of I Peoria, Arizona, Vandy, U of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, South Carolina.

Would also keep UNC and Carolinas if offered.

I was rejected by Maricopa and U of Chicago.

Keeping:
Geisenger, Thomas Jefferson, U. Michigan, Kalamazoo, St. Vincent/Mercy (Toledo), Case-Western, Palmetto (South Carolina), Louisville, Wake Forest, Christiana, Beth Israel, U. Mass, Northwestern, U. Chicago, Regions, Mayo

Declining:
UT-Southwestern, Eastern Virginia, Ohio State, Baystate, UC-Davis

Rejected:
UC-San Diego, Maricopa, U. Arizona, U. New Mexico, Indiana

Wait list:
U. Virginia

Just dropped the bomb on NY Beth Israel and U. Mich. Still have 18 other interviews to pair down. Boy its weird rejecting an interview. I kind of feel ungreatful for doing it, but I hope the other applicants waiting for a spot will benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping for now (may cancel more later):
NYU, Jacobi, MGH/BW, BIDMC, BMC, U chicago, Fresno, UCD, UCLA-OV, Highland, Stanford, UCI

Cancelled/declined:
Mt Sinai, Kings County, UIC

May never hear from:
SLR, NYP, OHSU

Rejectedx3:
UCLA-Harbor

7 prelim/transitional, too--pain in the ass for three 234's.

Kept - U. of Illinois at Chicago, U. of Illinois at Peoria, Resurrection Medical Center, Indiana University, Grand Rapids, Hennepin, Mayo, Akron General, Wright State, St Vincent Mercy, and CWRU.

Will interview at if a spot opens on a day I can go (have been accepted for interview) - Saginaw and Kalamazoo.

Declined or cancelled - Wayne State/Detroit Med Ctr., Henry Ford, Wayne State/Sinai-Grace, William Beaumont, U. of Michigan, St John, Regions, U. of Cincinnati, Ohio State University, Allegheny General, and U. of Louisville.

Rejected by - U. of Pittsburgh.

Still haven't heard from (but now would likely reject just because of the late date!) - U. of Chicago, Northwestern, Christ, U. of Kentucky, Sparrow/MSU, and Akron/SUMMA.

Obviously, I applied geographically in Midwest. Leaning towards Ohio as have some family there, but I'm from Chicago.

- H

Keeping for now... Temple, Duke, Palmetto, Highland, E.Virginia, Univ. of Virginia, NYU, UNC, Carolinas, Vanderbelt, George Washington, Jacksonville, UT Southwestern, Univ. of Chicago, Cook County, Emory, Univ. of Maryland (may cancel a few depending on how the first 12 go)

Canceling: UT Houston, Northwestern, UCSF-Fresno(would liked to have gone but it was going to cost me a rental car or possibly an extra ticket since I couldn't coordinate it well with Highland), Drew,Univ. of Penn, W. Virginia, Jacobi, MCG, E. Carolina, Wake Forest, Drexel

FYI so far I've finished my first three interviews and was very impressed with Palmetto...didn't know much about it but applied only because it was in the southeast-they have great benefits(three meals a day, conferences, moving expenses,board exams all covered),cool electives,low cost of living(most interns owned new houses), very very nice facilities and overall pretty solid program-I would definitely suggest taking a look if you got an interview...

Keeping: Wash U, Vandy, Mayo, Hennepin , New Mexico, U Conn, U Mass, Cinci, Indy, Brown, Wake, Maryland, Hopkins, Maricopa

Declined or considering declining: Charity, Ohio state, East Carolina, Carolinas, MCG, West Virginia, Louisville, Emory

Rejected: Arizona, Pitt, UCSD

Waitlisted: UNC

Keeping: Orlando, Allegheny, Emory, Duke, PSU, Wash U, GW, Brown, Indiana, Mayo, Grand Rapids, Einstein

Cancelling/Declining: Detroit Receiving, Kings County, Beth-Israel, Synergy, Sparrow

Still waiting on +pissed+: UVA, MCV, UNC, Maine, U of Chicago, Buffalo

Rejected: Maricopa, USF:confused: Pitt, Hennepin, Carolinas, Arizona, Baystate

Keeping - Regions, Orlando, Scott&White, UT-Houston, E. Carolina, Duke, Palmetto, Med College Georgia, U of Arkansas, and U of Illinois-Peoria
Waitlisted - U of Kentucky and U Conn
Cancelled/Declined - WVU, Kalamazoo, Saginaw, York, Rochester, UMass, Baystate, UMKC
Rejected - Carolina, Wake, Maricopa, U of Ariz, Wisc, Indiana, and Grand Rapids
Nothing - UNM, UT-Southwest, U of Louisville, Vanderbilt, Tampa, Jacksonville, UNC, UVa, MCV, Christiana, U of Maine

Should have stopped at original 25 applied to but it's just too danged easy to point and click.+pissed+

Keeping: Hennepin, Regions, Jacobi, NYU, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, Alb Einstein Beth Israel, NY Methodist, NY Presbyterian, Beth Israel Deaconess, Hopkins, Maricopa, UCIrvine, Stanford, Oregon, LAC-USC

Declined: U of Maryland, Long Island Jewish, Loma Linda

Rejected: Highland, Madigan

Waiting: UCLA, B &W

I think I've reached my limit on how many interviews I'll go to--
energy-wise and money-wise.

Keeping: Vandy, Univ of Mich, Yale, Emory, Duke, Mayo, Univ of Cin, Orlando, Univ of FL, Allegheny, Case Western

Cancelling/Cancelled/Declined: LSU-New Orleans, MCG, Wake Forest, LSU-Baton Rouge, USF

Rejected: Univ of Pitt, Carolinas, UW/Madigan

Still Waiting: Brigham & Women's, Univ of Virginia, Univ of Chicago, Hopkins, UNC, UPenn

Keeping: Wake, UVA, MCV, Maine, St. Lukes, Allegheny, York, Duke, UNC, UMass, BMC.

Declined: Tampa, Orlando, UConn.

Rejected: Beth Israel, Baystate.

Still waiting: Brown, Christiana.

I'm pretty sure my schedule is set, I hope it's enough because I can't afford any more trips.
Good luck!

Did anyone apply to Texas Tech??

I don't see it on any of the lists noted here.

Have interviewed at: Hopkins, UMD, UVA, EVMS (12/2)
Will be interviewing at: Duke, SUNY DS, Jacobi, Mount Sinai, NY Methodist, Albert Einstein (Philly), Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, BMC, Charity/LSU
Interviews (surg Prelims): UVA, EVMS, Mount Sinai, BMC
Rejected from: Carolinas, Highland, UCSD, BIDMC HAEMR, Stanford/Kaiser, UCLA / Olive View, Beth Israel
I?ve Declined: LAC
Undecided about: Maimonides (would have to drop another NYC Program to go, thoughts?)
Waiting to hear either way from UNC (a little troubling that one person is sick and they cannot get things together for interviews-Is this what the rest of the time would be like there?) :(

If anyone is curious about my impressions of the places I?ve visited, feel free to message me.

B

Declined: UCSD, Stanford, UT Houston, Texas A&M, Arkansas

Frog4brooke,

I don't go to UNC but have done research there and know the place pretty well. Their main person initially was sick and I think will be out for awhile for personal reasons. It was pretty unexpected for everyone so they are doing the best they can, but I don't think that that has any reflection on the program. Haven't interviewed there yet but the PD and faculty are very nice and the residents seem happy...
-limabean

Hey Frog4brooke,

Are you planning to do a PGY1 _SURG_ prelim. instead of a medicine prelim. or transitional? Dude, you got balls. What's the rationale? I'm thinking about applying to some surg. prelims too but only if I get some OR time and get to participate on the traumas. Many people tell me that a surg. prelim year is a waste and I'll only end up doing floor scut and forget everything that I've learned in med. school (as if that hasn't already happened). What's your perspective?

Thanks

keeping:
Baystate, UVA, UCONN, SUNY Stony Brook, Albany, UPENN, Maine, Brigham & Women's, U Mass, Brown, Christiana, Morristown.

Cancelled:
SUNY Syracuse, Geisinger, West Virginia, Hopkins, Albert Einstein, York, Temple, Cooper, St. Lukes, Thomas Jefferson.

Thinking about cancelling:
Yale, Beth Israel Deconess.

Done: Beth Israel Deaconess, York, UConn, Rochester, Buffalo

Cancelled: Newark, Thomas Jefferson, Morristown.

Still considering Stony Brook, North Shore and Geissinger.

To do: Baystate, St. Lukes PA, UMass