Cancelled my MCAT test date due to car crash... when to take now? :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rexxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, a long story short, I was supposed to take the MCAT this past may and apply for med schools this summer.

However, in early april I was in a bad car crash (i'm fine now) and had to withdraw from all of my spring semester classes and my MCAT studying came to a complete halt. I ended up cancelling my may test date.

Now my application cycle is going to be delayed a year (next summer).

I was in a kaplan prep course but only have access to my online materials for that course through the end of september (will still have books though).

Should i start heavy-duty studying now and try to race to take it in september? Or should I spread out my studying a little and take it in January or something? Or maybe even just wait until next april or May all over again?

I just dont know which would be the best plan in my odd scenario to minimize burn out on studying or wasting my resources.

Members don't see this ad.

So, a long story short, I was supposed to take the MCAT this past may and apply for med schools this summer.

However, in early april I was in a bad car crash (i'm fine now) and had to withdraw from all of my spring semester classes and my MCAT studying came to a complete halt. I ended up cancelling my may test date.

Now my application cycle is going to be delayed a year (next summer).

I was in a kaplan prep course but only have access to my online materials for that course through the end of september (will still have books though).

Should i start heavy-duty studying now and try to race to take it in september? Or should I spread out my studying a little and take it in January or something? Or maybe even just wait until next april or May all over again?

I just dont know which would be the best plan in my odd scenario to minimize burn out on studying or wasting my resources.

Tough luck man, I'm glad you came out of it with your health... that being said, if it was me I would wait. Fate dealt you an unlucky hand and put your life on pause for a few months. Instead of rushing to play catch up, I would slow down and rebuild slowly, taking the test in maybe January or waiting even until May of next year. I myself had a choice whether to rush to apply last year or wait another year and slow down a bit to get myself better prepared to enter the application cycle. I chose to wait and don't regret it at all, I've learned a lot the past year and had many opportunities that I never would have gotten if I rushed.

Unless there is a huge reason where you absolutely have to apply this cycle, I would suggest against rushing to take the test in september.