• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Cancer Diagnosis and HPSP

goriku671

7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2012
La Jolla
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I am applying for Navy HPSP. Completed all the paperwork. Almost cleared MEPs, but got screened for an over-enlarged thyroid. Suspected of goiter. Military physicians recommended doing a full thyroid work-up with my primary care doc. Well, it came out positive for papillary thyroid cancer and have since gotten a thyroidectomy and radiation therapy. I am Stage 1 with 10 year survival >95%. 20-year survival is also great. My question is, how does the military look at applicants who are diagnosed with cancers with great prognosis? Do I have a shot of obtaining a waiver?

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
Do I have a shot of obtaining a waiver?

Yes, you certainly do. Apply for it if you want it. Pap thyroid CA is common enough, and very curable. No reason not to waive it.

Now if there's a flood of HPSP applicants in your year, you may have more difficulty getting the waiver, but it's still worth a shot.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.