Cancer pathlogy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bomikepa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any good links for website that teach how to identify cancer pathology slides? As usual our prof sucked and I'm a little lost.

The basics like carcinoma, sarcoma, carcinoma in situ, keratinized vs non keratin etc

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

youtube search for "shotgun histology"

In my first year of (pathology) residency it was a great way to get back the normal histology I'd lost or never picked up in the first place. I think he also has plenty of good pathology videos beyond the normal histology.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have looked at shotgun, but for the parts regarding inflammation and granulomas, and sarcomas and such. Is there a good histopathology book that explains things well? With good pictures? I have a histo book but it doesn't cover all these weird cancer presentations.

pathoma only touched the surface. Basically we are given histology slides and are to say whats going on.....
I can't even tell beyond the basic acute inflammation (neutrophils everywhere)

I need to be able to look at a pathology slide and know if its
sarcomas
carcinomas
carcinoma in situ (CIS)
Adenocarcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma
Fibroma
Carcinoma in-situ of the breast (dysplasia)
Benign fibroma.
Liposarcoma
Lipoma
Carcinoma
Adenoma
Lymphoma

my head is spinning
i am really struggling with this i need to broken down to the most basic level I'm trying to find some good material to help.

pathoma only touched the surface. Basically we are given histology slides and are to say whats going on.....

sarcomas
carcinomas
carcinoma in situ (CIS)
Adenocarcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma
Fibroma
Benign fibroma.
Liposarcoma
Lipoma
Carcinoma
Adenoma
Lymphoma

my head is spinning
i am really struggling with this i need to broken down to the most basic level I'm trying to find some good material to help.

We didn't learn how to differentiate between carcinoma and sarcoma based on histology, but the rest of them in that list shouldn't be that hard.
SCC - keratin pearls
Adenocarcinoma - glandular
Fibroma - lots of normal looking fibroblasts
DCIS - lots of information online about these
benign fibroma - same thing as "fibroma"
Liposarcoma - lipoblasts depending on how well differentiated it is.
Lipoma - looks exactly like normal fat
adenoma - way too many glands, but they look normal (vs adenocarcinoma)
Lymphoma - depends on what type, but I think all M2s are taught how to differentiate the main ones at some point in hematology.

Plus, we've been told that on USMLE the images are there to help you interpret the vignette. You would never need to answer a question based on histopath alone.

Reactions: 1 user
seminoma, thanks for the reply. I read those words and I'm still lost.....this is for class not USMLE for per say. I can't find any good sources that gives me a basic foundation.

I know that adenocarcinomas you are looking for crap filling in ducts? i can't even tell what ducts looks like. I am really really bad at looking at slides and trying to find things.

we were not taught anything in class, as usual

sarcomas
carcinomas
carcinoma in situ (CIS)
Adenocarcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma
Fibroma
Benign fibroma.
Liposarcoma
Lipoma
Carcinoma
Adenoma
Lymphoma

my head is spinning

Did you actually watch the Pathoma videos? It's a fairly simplified review course, but it definitely goes into enough detail to help you differentiate most of what's on that list. And if you aren't even sure what an adenocarcinoma is, it's probably exactly what you should be using at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 for pathoma, rapid review pathology, and robbins pathology
also the shotgun histology guy has a number of videos on those topics if you prefer a walk through video. all you do is search "washingtondeceit [insert term here]" in youtube.

also take a look at pathology atlases if you want a quick overview

Last edited:
Pathoma does talk about some of this
But he doesn't have pathlogy slides for all of them
He has some slides for granulomas from what I recall but not much for other stuff? I also could be looking in the wrong chapters
He touches on w bit of everything in the first three chapters. Are there are chapters I should be looking at?