Cancer survivor applicant??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Santa333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you think it would help an applicant to get accepted to medical school if they are a cancer survivor?? No i'm not suggesting to lie on an application about being a cancer survivor, just curious.

Discuss

Members don't see this ad.

How much do you think it would help an applicant to get accepted to medical school if they are a cancer survivor?? No i'm not suggesting to lie on an application about being a cancer survivor, just curious.

Discuss

If you're really committed to getting into a top-25 school, you won't hesitate to get cancer so you have something interesting to talk about in your PS. Cancer kicks dead African baby butt every time.

If you're really committed to getting into a top-25 school, you won't hesitate to get cancer so you have something interesting to talk about in your PS. Cancer kicks dead African baby butt every time.

yeah, but cancer has nothing on dead grandmothers because nobody has those.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nah, I believe DABs are more valuable. I mean, saving 100 DABs vs. surviving cancer (=saving only yourself)...I think the math is easy on this one.

There's no reason why you can't have both cancer and DAB's.

... medical school admissions is just absurd...

Are your posts always this trollish?

I think it only really helps if you rid yourself of an "incurable" disease, so cancer doesn't really count since it's often curable.

Now, if you're one of those lucky people who are immune to HIV or miraculously fought it off, now THAT'S a story to tell, of how you overcame your IV drug addiction, being sex trafficed as a prostitute and the HIV you got from it to become a doctor.

Way cooler.

I think it only really helps if you rid yourself of an "incurable" disease, so cancer doesn't really count since it's often curable.

Now, if you're one of those lucky people who are immune to HIV or miraculously fought it off, now THAT'S a story to tell, of how you overcame your IV drug addiction, being sex trafficed as a prostitute and the HIV you got from it to become a doctor.

Way cooler.

Ah, yes. Deficiency of CCR5 co-receptors. I'd love to have me one of those.
(I'm taking Immunology and that was in one of the chapters...I'm excited I actually know this)

Discuss

I know you're eying that Polonium 210 thinking that it will get you into Harvard...

But it ain't so my friend. It ain't so.

Seriously, a friend of mine got lymphoma his sophomore year in college. He relapsed once, but after 2 rounds of chemo, he's in remission. He's currently getting his MD/PhD at UCSF. Did cancer help? Probably a little. But he was qualified to begin with.

If you are a cancer survivor, definitely put it on your app. It will let the adcoms know that you appreciate medical care from being on the receiving end.

Are your posts always this trollish?

Only when the thread is really stupid or (as in this case) obviously a joke.

Are your posts always this useless?

If you are qualified beforehand, then yes, it will definitely enhance your application because you get firsthand experience in all the emotions and fears a patient can have. But, let me just say, that if you have a difficult treatment, and decide to stay in school; then, your grades might plummet. Therefore, you're like everybody else, and you have to take extra courses, SMPs, and whatever else to show that you can handle med school coursework. Just saying you have cancer doesn't gaurantee acceptance. Nor, does it gaurantee that you'll be a good doctor. In short, I think you might want to bypass cancer altogether. Besides, these posts always piss me off.

p.s. this is a horrible thread. Cancer can and probably will affect all of us in one way or another. It doesn't discriminate; it effects people of every race, gender, and socioeconomic status. So lets not make up hypothetical what-ifs, its not nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
p.s. this is a horrible thread. Cancer can and probably will affect all of us in one way or another. It doesn't discriminate; it effects people of every race, gender, and socioeconomic status. So lets not make up hypothetical what-ifs, its not nice.

Yes, all humor must cease, unless pre-approved by the resident "niceness" monitors. :rolleyes:

You know, it's okay to joke about serious things. Making jokes about serious subjects doesn't undermine their seriousness, or imply a lack of respect for human tragedy. For some of us, it helps make horrible things easier to bear. I would imagine that most people here have had a loved one afflicted by cancer, so your little self-righteous instruction is pretty pointless.

Sure DrMcMom

Yes, all humor must cease, unless pre-approved by the resident "niceness" monitors. :rolleyes:

You know, it's okay to joke about serious things. Making jokes about serious subjects doesn't undermine their seriousness, or imply a lack of respect for human tragedy. For some of us, it helps make horrible things easier to bear. I would imagine that most people here have had a loved one afflicted by cancer, so your little self-righteous instruction is pretty pointless.

Damn it, beat me by a minute.

Discuss

Cough.

Just go to a lab, keep ingesting some known carcinogen and then milk the cancer thing as URMs milk their status. You know you want to.

**Santa's been bad for Christmas ...

Just go to a lab, keep ingesting some known carcinogen and then milk the cancer thing as URMs milk their status.

You just like having the words "Probationary Status" under your name, don't you?

You just like having the words "Probationary Status" under your name, don't you?

I'm surprised you didn't see the screaming sarcasm out of that. Go outside, laugh a little. Make sure it doesn't disrupt your neuronal connections while you're at it.

Discuss

I'm not sure how much it "helped" and actually could have "hurt" me in some cases...but it was part of the reason I decided to pursue medicine and was mentioned in my personal statement as well as by at least one of my LOR writers, if not more. Not a major part of my application, but it was part of it.

If it shaped you as a person (and it undoubtedly has), it's pertinent.

I'm not sure how much it "helped" and actually could have "hurt" me in some cases...but it was part of the reason I decided to pursue medicine and was mentioned in my personal statement as well as by at least one of my LOR writers, if not more. Not a major part of my application, but it was part of it.

There is more than one cancer survivor in medical school, and generally, yes, it makes things harder. The medical school doesn't want to invest a lot of money in you to have you die on them, so if you are a cancer survivor (and you put it on your app) expect a lot of questions about your current health status. If you are a marginal applicant I'd really suggest avoiding the topic entirely.

My younger brother had testicular cancer... he is now a proud member of the one ball club... and he got into undergradute basically because he had cancer... he was on a waiting list at a few schools... the principal at his school wrote letters to the college telling him how inspiring he was to still complete school with cancer bla bla... acceptance came a week later.. coincidence??? Also he got a lot of scholarships.

Not to suggest everyone going out and getting testicular cancer...

For me i used it sparingly and not a focus of my essays but it is hard to leave out since it is a part of who I am.

There is more than one cancer survivor in medical school, and generally, yes, it makes things harder. The medical school doesn't want to invest a lot of money in you to have you die on them, so if you are a cancer survivor (and you put it on your app) expect a lot of questions about your current health status. If you are a marginal applicant I'd really suggest avoiding the topic entirely.

Every interview I was "advised" to consider my health before i undertook medicine (I have been symptom free 16 years). I recieved acceptances everywhere I interviewed, but I think they were afraid I wouldnt be able to stress my body like other medical school students.

Discuss

No.

I figured I wasn't the only cancer survivor ever to get accepted...

I didn't really get asked about it much during interviews.

I'll be 5 years out in Dec. of '07.

It was not a major part of my application at all...but did kind of "kick start" me to start looking into medicine again...so was definitely mentioned.

Apparently, it didn't hurt me too much.

JonnyG, sounds like we took the same approach.

Err...right, I was just at my uncle's funeral last week (cancer finally got to him), and cancer is also what killed my grandfather, but that doesn't mean I suddenly have no sense of humor anymore. This thread is so ridiculous that it can only be responded to with sarcastic posts about getting cancer or beating HIV to get into medical school.

And your point that it effects all sorts of people is correct, but that also means many of the people in this thread probably have had a brush with cancer, and still think the sarcastic replies can be funny. It's not like anybody's attacking cancer patients :laugh:

BTW, a good number of people I know are cancer survivors and also doctors but they got into medical school first and THEN got cancer. So no need to rush the cancer part.

What is really ridiculous is that there are people applying who have truly HAD serious life altering experiences that brought them to medicine. No need to lie. Besides..anyone who works with people on a regular basis can smell a rat and smoke you out.

Alicia

Discuss

Only if you got cancer and then discovered the cure.

If you would like, I can help you get cancer. You are SOL on the cure though. :luck:

Does iraqi war amputee trump cancer survivor?

Indo..

Only if you are a single parent of at least three. Sorry.

Med schools don't accept people out of pity.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth!!!!

I mean everyone has their share of sh1t they go through.

From cancer survivors to epilepsy survivors to people who survived living in abusive families at the extreme end to things like watching a loved one go through illness even if it wasn't directly you to a host of other things like living in poverty or disadvantaged areas, etc.

Med schools are not going to accept based on pity.

I had brain cancer when I was much younger. Okay now. Didn't think of putting this on my application....

Well..I don't think anything is worth mentioning unless it was what steered you towards medicine. I think if it had an impact regarding your career choice and motivation it would be highly worth mentioning. Isn't that what med schools are interested in knowing anyhow? To make sure your motives are genuine?

I had it as a kid and am now fully cured and it changed me as a person. It is a big reason as to why I took a serious look at medicine, and many other factors caused me to stick with it. In this case wouldn't it help a little to differentiate myself from all the other 3.8 30 something mcat applicants out there? I'm aware I'm not the only cancer survivor applying to med school and it should by no means substitute for grades and mcat, but it'd be nice if it helped!

I had it as a kid and am now fully cured and it changed me as a person. It is a big reason as to why I took a serious look at medicine, and many other factors caused me to stick with it. In this case wouldn't it help a little to differentiate myself from all the other 3.8 30 something mcat applicants out there? I'm aware I'm not the only cancer survivor applying to med school and it should by no means substitute for grades and mcat, but it'd be nice if it helped!

Yeah I knew a girl about 4 years ago who had ovarian cancer but it had been in remission for a long time. She was premed back then but ended up deciding on doing PA school after her MCAT score didn't come out that well.

Err...right, I was just at my uncle's funeral last week (cancer finally got to him), and cancer is also what killed my grandfather, but that doesn't mean I suddenly have no sense of humor anymore.

its not about having a sense of humor... It's about respect.
maybe i'm being harsh, but i've seen too many people pass away from cancer.

its not about having a sense of humor... It's about respect.
maybe i'm being harsh, but i've seen too many people pass away from cancer.

Please take a chill pill. Give us a break with the preaching. I know people who died of cancer but I don't think one can't find humor in this because of it. I had a grandfather who had 2 types of cancer: lung and bladder cancer. My father has a cousin who has cancer. I have other relativesi in India who've suffered as much. I work with cancer patients in one of the clinics where I volunteer. But yet, I don't think there's a need to preach about such if they were truly being sarcastic and joking. If they were serious then I stand by my original reply to the Prowler in that no one wants to hear someone begging for sympathy.

Please take a chill pill. Give us a break with the preaching. I know people who died of cancer but I don't think one can't find humor in this because of it. I had a grandfather who had 2 types of cancer: lung and bladder cancer. My father has a cousin who has cancer. I have other relativesi in India who've suffered as much. I work with cancer patients in one of the clinics where I volunteer. But yet, I don't think there's a need to preach about such if they were truly being sarcastic and joking. If they were serious then I stand by my original reply to the Prowler in that no one wants to hear someone begging for sympathy.

Woah I think everyone needs to calm down. What i said wasn't meant to come with attitude. I was simply stating an opinion, some people take things a bit lighter than others... I just recently lost a few people to cancer within these past months and its a touchy subject. I didn't ask for you guys to list the cancer patients that you've known... all i was saying was for people to have a certain sense of respect, i'm not preaching... and i'm definitely not here to have my opinion ripped apart.

Woah I think everyone needs to calm down. What i said wasn't meant to come with attitude. I was simply stating an opinion, some people take things a bit lighter than others... I just recently lost a few people to cancer within these past months and its a touchy subject. I didn't ask for you guys to list the cancer patients that you've known... all i was saying was for people to have a certain sense of respect, i'm not preaching... and i'm definitely not here to have my opinion ripped apart.

If it really bothered you that much, then you wouldn't continue to read and respond to this thread. Organisms avoid noxious stimuli, but you're still here.

I'm thinking you're just more interested in being the "nice person" or playing the martyr, rather than actually taking any person offence to this thread.