Cancer survivor applicant??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:clap:

OP, just curious, why would you ask that?

It's complicated, but basically over winter break this semester I was diagnosed with cancer. However, the doctors are not certain, so I get tests every month to check up on it.... As I said it's complicated.

1. I'm trying to think as positively about this situation as I can.

2. Curious about when I apply to med school if I should talk about my situation or not, and how much it will benefit me.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it only really helps if you rid yourself of an "incurable" disease, so cancer doesn't really count since it's often curable.

Now, if you're one of those lucky people who are immune to HIV or miraculously fought it off, now THAT'S a story to tell, of how you overcame your IV drug addiction, being sex trafficed as a prostitute and the HIV you got from it to become a doctor.

Way cooler.

but it's way cooler if you contracted HIV from a doctor at the med school you're applying to and he writes you a LOR

Members don't see this ad :)
It's complicated, but basically over winter break this semester I was diagnosed with cancer. However, the doctors are not certain, so I get tests every month to check up on it.... As I said it's complicated.

2. Curious about when I apply to med school if I should talk about my situation or not, and how much it will benefit me.

Oh good god!! You were actually being serious???

Now that's pathetic that you'd ask how your cancer can help benefit your application. News flash: People don't award pity points. They may look at adversities you faced but they don't award pity points and you would still need the grades and the good ECs and letters and other stuff that goes with applications.

A lot of people have had some sort of sickness they've dealt with at some point. I know a couple on SDN that dealt with some sort of terminal illness and quite a few others in real life. Did it serve as a motivation to go into medidicine or a medically related field? yes. Did it help their admissions? Probably not.

If it really bothered you that much, then you wouldn't continue to read and respond to this thread. Organisms avoid noxious stimuli, but you're still here.

I'm thinking you're just more interested in being the "nice person" or playing the martyr, rather than actually taking any person offence to this thread.

you're exactly right!

Woah I think everyone needs to calm down. What i said wasn't meant to come with attitude. I was simply stating an opinion, some people take things a bit lighter than others... I just recently lost a few people to cancer within these past months and its a touchy subject. I didn't ask for you guys to list the cancer patients that you've known... all i was saying was for people to have a certain sense of respect, i'm not preaching... and i'm definitely not here to have my opinion ripped apart.

wow, I can't believe so many people are giving you are hard time. I can see people having a sense of humor, but not knowing if the OP really has cancer or not, to minimize his ordeal is heartless. And I agree, cancer patients, and all patients deserve dignity and respect. I sincerely hope that those who are making jokes and laughing never do it in the presence of patients.

Oh and to the OP: I'd be more concerned about finding real answers to your diagnosis and get the proper treatment before you start worrying about whether to put it on your application.

Honestly, I find this slightly offensive, I went through a hellish battle with brain cancer and never did I EVER think "how is this going to benefit me," Im sorry If I am out of line.

It is ALWAYS good to think positive in those types of situations, my parents ALWAYS did and it helped me, but honestly you can't be too worried or really scared about cancer if you come to SDN and post about how it might benefit you for medical school. Just my two cents as a cancer survivor.

wow, I can't believe so many people are giving you are hard time. I can see people having a sense of humor, but not knowing if the OP really has cancer or not, to minimize his ordeal is heartless. And I agree, cancer patients, and all patients deserve dignity and respect. I sincerely hope that those who are making jokes and laughing never do it in the presence of patients.

Oh and to the OP: I'd be more concerned about finding real answers to your diagnosis and get the proper treatment before you start worrying about whether to put it on your application.

Yes we do deserve dignity and respect. And yes I am sure that the future doctors would laugh if their pre-diagnosed cancer patient was on SDN finding out how his maybe diagnosis will benefit his application.

"You know you're a pre-med if...you're diagnosed with a terminal illness and your first thought is how you're going to work it into your personal statement."

I know you're not a med student, so maybe you haven't learned this yet, but...people can actually die from cancer. Therefore, cancer is a pretty serious illness.

Seriously, though - your priorities seem to be a little off. Your first thought at this point should be "Oh my G-d, I need to find a good oncologist," and not, "Oh my G-d, this could totally help me to become an oncologist."

Don't worry about applying now. Get your health in order first, then apply. Med school will still be there a few years from now. Your health, on the other hand, is obviously less certain. I know you're trying to find a silver lining right now, but the possibility that this will benefit your med school app is not it.

"You know you're a pre-med if...you're diagnosed with a terminal illness and your first thought is how you're going to work it into your personal statement."

I know you're not a med student, so maybe you haven't learned this yet, but...people can actually die from cancer. Therefore, cancer is a pretty serious illness.

Seriously, though - your priorities seem to be a little off. Your first thought at this point should be "Oh my G-d, I need to find a good oncologist," and not, "Oh my G-d, this could totally help me to become an oncologist."

Don't worry about applying now. Get your health in order first, then apply. Med school will still be there a few years from now. Your health, on the other hand, is obviously less certain. I know you're trying to find a silver lining right now, but the possibility that this will benefit your med school app is not it.

:clap:

its not about having a sense of humor... It's about respect.
maybe i'm being harsh, but i've seen too many people pass away from cancer.

And I agree, cancer patients, and all patients deserve dignity and respect.

Patients deserve dignity and respect, but not only are we not his doctor in this case, he's asking about how he can exploit his illness to boost his chances of getting into medical school. Are you seriously suggesting that we respect that? :confused:

If he were asking about his illness and what he should do, that's a whole other story, because it'd be out of line to joke around, but when he's treating it as something that'll be his ticket into medical school, you can't really expect us to respect that and not mock the absurdity of his thinking.

Anyways, OP should obviously focus on his treatment, and hopefully figure out whether he even has cancer or not, before hoping to exploit cancer to get into medical school (and does this mean that he would have been hoping to actually have cancer if we had told him it would help him get into medical school?!).

Patients are also a lot of other things in this world, and while we should respect them as patients that doesn't mean they get a free pass for everything else in life. Seriously what if someone asked "Would it be ok to murder my longtime rival if I was about to die of cancer and thus wouldn't serve jailtime?" It's related to the fact that they have cancer, but it's not actually anything we'd have to respect.

Members don't see this ad :)

OK, I agree the OP is a little "unusual" in his/her thinking, but telling someone else what their first thought should be at receiving a diagnosis like cancer is extremely judgmental and patronizing. When people receive such a devastating diagnosis, some seek treatment, but others drop everything and sail around the world. Some look for the best doctor around, but others wonder how they can milk it to win back an ex. Some research the best treatment options, but others become suicidal.

Everyone has a different way of dealing with these things. I don't think any of us have the right to tell the OP how he/she *should* be acting. I know what I *would* be doing, but that doesn't mean I have any right to tell the OP that he should too.

OK, I agree the OP is a little "unusual" in his/her thinking, but telling someone else what their first thought should be at receiving a diagnosis like cancer is extremely judgmental and patronizing. When people receive such a devastating diagnosis, some seek treatment, but others drop everything and sail around the world. Some look for the best doctor around, but others wonder how they can milk it to win back an ex. Some research the best treatment options, but others become suicidal.

Everyone has a different way of dealing with these things. I don't think any of us have the right to tell the OP how he/she *should* be acting. I know what I *would* be doing, but that doesn't mean I have any right to tell the OP that he should too.

:thumbup:
Personall, I'm shocked at the callous way people have been treating the OP. It's amazing how internet forums change the rules of conduct. We find out that s/he might have cancer, and are we interested in showing sympathy? No. Sympathy on an internet forum is a sign of weakness, and our virtual selves, as impotent as they are, just won't let us do that.

OP, I don't know you, but I am sorry to hear that you might have cancer. I hope you don't. Good luck.

Umm...he ASKED if we thought that being a cancer patient would help him in the admissions process. And I'm returning my opinion that, if he's thinking about applying to med school NOW, that he should be thinking of other things.

Furthermore - yes, the OP deserves sympathy and compassion. But it doesn't mean that we need to validate every thought that runs through his head. By your thinking, a patient with a fatal cancer should be excused for beating up the doctor who diagnosed him - he was angry, and that's a valid emotion. Or someone who had AIDS should be excused for killing the person who gave it to him - he was upset, and that's his response to it, so that's valid.

Personall, I'm shocked at the callous way people have been treating the OP. It's amazing how internet forums change the rules of conduct. We find out that s/he might have cancer, and are we interested in showing sympathy? No. Sympathy on an internet forum is a sign of weakness, and our virtual selves, as impotent as they are, just won't let us do that.

Wait a minute.

So, both of you are saying that you think that the OP's initial reaction was "okay" because, hey - he's the one with the diagnosis. I'm a big believer in patient sympathy and empathy and compassion. This is going too far.

1) He was hoping to, basically, exploit his disease to help him in the admissions process. While, yes, he has this perogative, it's shocking and disturbing to see how little regard he has for his own health, and how little regard he has for a serious illness. For those of us who are dealing with the loss of a friend to a terminal disease, it's a little offensive too.

2) If he doesn't focus all of his energies on his treatment, he doesn't just hurt himself - he hurts his family, his friends, his coworkers, and his loved ones. Did either of you think about them? They deserve just as much consideration in this process as he does.

3) If he doesn't get a concrete diagnosis and treatment plan, then applying to med school might be a moot point. I know that that's blunt and harsh (and you'll probably give me flack for this too), but it is true. Did you guys ever think about that?

OP - I'm sorry if it came across as judgemental. In YOUR best interest, though - please, please, drop the idea of applying to med school for right now. Focus all of your energy on your diagnosis - for once in your pre-med life, think about the present, and not just the future. Once you get your health in order, you can think about med school again later. Good luck.

its not about having a sense of humor... It's about respect.
maybe i'm being harsh, but i've seen too many people pass away from cancer.
Your thin skin isn't going to last long when you're out on the wards....and trust me, the rest of us know people with cancer as well.

Umm...he ASKED if we thought that being a cancer patient would help him in the admissions process. And I'm returning my opinion that, if he's thinking about applying to med school NOW, that he should be thinking of other things.

That's right. He asked if we thought that being a cancer patient would help him in the admissions process. He didn't ask what YOU think he should be worried about.

So, both of you are saying that you think that the OP's initial reaction was "okay" because, hey - he's the one with the diagnosis. I'm a big believer in patient sympathy and empathy and compassion. This is going too far.

I'm saying that unsolicited advice is patronizing and judgmental. Let me play you for a minute and say something just as judgmental: you should have just answered his question instead of telling him how he should have reacted.

While, yes, he has this perogative, it's shocking and disturbing to see how little regard he has for his own health, and how little regard he has for a serious illness.

Um, he's not the first nor is he the last to have little regard for his own health. I dare say you'll run into hundreds of patients who have little regard for their own health as a physician and while it is your responsibility give them advice as their doctor, being judgmental will only alienate most of them.

2) If he doesn't focus all of his energies on his treatment, he doesn't just hurt himself - he hurts his family, his friends, his coworkers, and his loved ones. Did either of you think about them?

It's none of your business, nor is it mine. His family didn't come on here to ask our advice. You know nothing about this guy and you're talking about intervening on behalf of his family? Surely I'm not the only one who finds that argument laughable.

Had the OP come here to ask what he/she should do, that's one thing. But he/she simply asked one
question. Answer it or not, but don't expect to editorialize without a dissenting opinion from someone else (in this case, me).

3) If he doesn't get a concrete diagnosis and treatment plan, then applying to med school might be a moot point. I know that that's blunt and harsh (and you'll probably give me flack for this too), but it is true. Did you guys ever think about that?

Of course we did. If it was me, med school would be the last thing on my mind right now. But at the same time, as someone who has been diagnosed with a serious illness, I get so sick and tired of people assuming how I should react. When I was first diagnosed, all I heard is "oh, you should be doing this, you should be doing that" and all I want to say is back off! Unless you've lived my life, you have no right to tell me what I should be doing.

It's like when my uncle passed away and my aunt grieved by traveling to all the places they wanted to travel together but never could because he was sick. The whole family was telling her she shouldn't be doing this, that she should be at home, grieving, that she should have been a hysterical wreck at the funeral, that she should be thinking of her future. It's so judgmental. Why does everyone have to handle everything the same way? Some people shut down when a loved ones dies. Others travel. In cases like cancer, the same thing applies.

2) If he doesn't focus all of his energies on his treatment, he doesn't just hurt himself - he hurts his family, his friends, his coworkers, and his loved ones. Did either of you think about them? They deserve just as much consideration in this process as he does.

There is a lot in your post that I don't agree with, but this one stands out the most. An individual with a serious disease will do better if they take an active role in treatment, but the idea that he shouldn't be thinking of anything else, let alone future personal goals, is really problematic.

I'm saying that unsolicited advice is patronizing and judgmental. Let me play you for a minute and say something just as judgmental: you should have just answered his question instead of telling him how he should have reacted.

Um, he's not the first nor is he the last to have little regard for his own health. I dare say you'll run into hundreds of patients who have little regard for their own health as a physician and while it is your responsibility give them advice as their doctor, being judgmental will only alienate most of them.

It's like when my uncle passed away and my aunt grieved by traveling to all the places they wanted to travel together but never could because he was sick. The whole family was telling her she shouldn't be doing this, that she should be at home, grieving, that she should have been a hysterical wreck at the funeral, that she should be thinking of her future. It's so judgmental. Why does everyone have to handle everything the same way? Some people shut down when a loved ones dies. Others travel. In cases like cancer, the same thing applies.

Actually, I think what your aunt did was a lovely thing to do. And I'm not saying that the OP should be a basketcase or roll up into a petrified ball and lie in bed all day. I'm not going to try and direct his emotions.

But look - we're all here on this website because we all have the same goal of becoming a physician. The OP obviously has that same goal. And I hope, sincerely, that he WILL achieve that goal some day. But, if he doesn't worry FIRST about getting healthy, he won't achieve that.

Was my reaction judgemental? Probably. And will I have patients who have zero regard for their health? Of course - already have had them.

But, first off, I'm not the OP's doctor. I'm just someone who, like him, shares the same dream of becoming a doctor someday. I'm just someone who, as a fellow student, wants to see him achieve that, and I'm just someone who, as a current med student, knows what he needs to do to achieve that. And I'm going to tell him, plainly and frankly, that med school can wait.

Let me put it this way - if someone posted here, and said "I will take the MCAT next week, but I haven't studied for it AT ALL. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me which extracurriculars I should be doing, and who I should be asking for an LOR right now?" what would you answer? Wouldn't you answer that there are some things that are more important than ECs? And that that person's priorities were mixed up? It's different (and more emotional) here because it's a disease, not just an MCAT, but in both cases it's a question of mixed priorities.

There is a lot in your post that I don't agree with, but this one stands out the most. An individual with a serious disease will do better if they take an active role in treatment, but the idea that he shouldn't be thinking of anything else, let alone future personal goals, is really problematic.

His future personal goal: become a doctor.

His current personal obstacle: he might have cancer.

Will this current personal obstacle possibly prevent him from reaching that future personal goal? Yes. Therefore, do I think he should tackle this current personal obstacle head on before even thinking about his future personal goal? Yes.

Neither of you seem to get it. I'm not telling him to NEVER think about med school again. I'm not telling him to forget med school and that he'll never be a doctor. I want him to achieve his goal. I can totally understand that. But I also want to see him take care of stuff that might prevent him from reaching that goal. And if that's judgemental, then, well, oh well.

Let me put it this way - if someone posted here, and said "I will take the MCAT next week, but I haven't studied for it AT ALL. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me which extracurriculars I should be doing, and who I should be asking for an LOR right now?" what would you answer? Wouldn't you answer that there are some things that are more important than ECs? And that that person's priorities were mixed up? It's different (and more emotional) here because it's a disease, not just an MCAT, but in both cases it's a question of mixed priorities.

Mixed priorities, sure, but again, it's not your business to straighten out those priorities if you're asked strictly about EC's. I always assume others know what they're doing unless they ask me for advice. I have a friend who took the MCAT with only a week of off and on studying and got a 31. I thought he was nuts and I would have NEVER sat for the exam with only a week, but I didn't say anything because he never asked. If he had, I would have been honest with him, but since he didn't, it wasn't my place.

If you read his post, the OP said he's being tested every month. There's nothing to do now but wait. It isn't like he's just holed up at home and waiting for it to get better by itself. Maybe he's already spent weeks shedding tears over this and is in the process of being tested and is now twiddling his thumbs while waiting, which is extremely likely. And when that happens, you DO start to assess the future and how you can deal with this while reaching all your personal and professional goals.

When I was diagnosed, it took 8 months of tests before a definitive answer. Do you really think I lived my life in a constant state of "OH GOD, I have to do something to live! I must find another doctor! I must survive! I must survive!" Hell no. Life doesn't stop because of diagnosis, especially when there's still testing going on.

Thousands of lectures of how I should be reacting later, I was filled with resentment towards people like that.

Yes we do deserve dignity and respect. And yes I am sure that the future doctors would laugh if their pre-diagnosed cancer patient was on SDN finding out how his maybe diagnosis will benefit his application.

Perfectly put.

Mixed priorities, sure, but again, it's not your business to straighten out those priorities if you're asked strictly about EC's. I always assume others know what they're doing unless they ask me for advice. I have a friend who took the MCAT with only a week of off and on studying and got a 31. I thought he was nuts and I would have NEVER sat for the exam with only a week, but I didn't say anything because he never asked. If he had, I would have been honest with him, but since he didn't, it wasn't my place.

If you read his post, the OP said he's being tested every month. There's nothing to do now but wait. It isn't like he's just holed up at home and waiting for it to get better by itself. Maybe he's already spent weeks shedding tears over this and is in the process of being tested and is now twiddling his thumbs while waiting, which is extremely likely. And when that happens, you DO start to assess the future and how you can deal with this while reaching all your personal and professional goals.

When I was diagnosed, it took 8 months of tests before a definitive answer. Do you really think I lived my life in a constant state of "OH GOD, I have to do something to live! I must find another doctor! I must survive! I must survive!" Hell no. Life doesn't stop because of diagnosis, especially when there's still testing going on.

Thousands of lectures of how I should be reacting later, I was filled with resentment towards people like that.

He knows what he's talking about.

OMG people can we stop with the assumptions, I mean honestly heres what it seems all of you think.

I was potentially diagnosed with cancer and screamed HURRAY, THIS WELL HELP ME GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL. Are you kidding me???

Believe me I have been to 8 different Doctors, and spoken to even more. I have researched everything there is to about my illness. I've done everything I can. Thinking about my situation and what could happen is the last thing I want to do. Most of you people posting have no idea what it's like to go through a situation like this, and believe me if it were you I don't think you would like to have this on your mind at all time. I don't sit here and think about death, I know i'm going to over come this, and I don't want it to slow me down or put a damper on my future plans.

Im glad almost everyone on here assumes that I have done nothing about curing my illness, and the only thing I worry about is exploiting this. Honestly people enough with the assumptions, you don't know anything about me. I get tested every month to moniter for changes, THERE IS NOTHING MORE I CAN DO. SORRY FOR NOT CRYING OVER THIS EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE, I TRIED THAT FOR THE FIRST MONTH AND IT WASN'T VERY FUN.

I posted here hoping to get a simple answer.

Should I talk about this in my PS, and do you think this could help my chances of getting into medicine?

Oh, sorry, I was trying to think positive there out of all the negative that came along with it, let me just go read more about how many people die of cancer each year so my "priorities" are straightened out.

Should I talk about this in my PS, and do you think this could help my chances of getting into medicine?

I'll offer a simple answer.

Personally, if I got cancer and thought I could use it to get ahead in my career and life, I would so do it without a second thought. Hell, why not? It's your damn disease, and it comes with a lot of built-in downsides, so why not exploit it to get some good things?

Unfortunately, I doubt it will help you here. Clearly it had little to nothing to do with your decision to pursue medicine. As others have pointed out, adcoms are pretty good at sniffing out bull****, so no point trying to fake it. Maybe down the road if you decide you want to Heme/Onc, you can use it there and have sound more believable. In the meantime, I wouldn't tell the schools you apply to, because it's likely that it will be more of a bad thing than a good thing right now.

Oh, sorry, I was trying to think positive there out of all the negative that came along with it, let me just go read more about how many people die of cancer each year so my "priorities" are straightened out.

I'm sorry you had to deal with all the crappy responses in this thread. I hope you were able to get some usefull advice between the lines.

If you are a strong applicant, and you write well, you can communicate how your difficult situation has helped you understand the experience of disease. Just remember that it may bring questions about your ability to handle the physical rigors of medicine. If there are other question marks to your application, it may add up.

Also, when you write your personal statement, consider that it will often direct the interview conversation. Ask yourself if you want your difficult situation to monopolize your interviews.

In any event, it can be really helpful to journal some of the feelings that you're having right now--for many reasons. It might help you write about it in a personal statement. You may also find it gives you a lot of perspective later in life to go back and read about what you were feeling.

He knows what he's talking about.

OMG people can we stop with the assumptions, I mean honestly heres what it seems all of you think.

I was potentially diagnosed with cancer and screamed HURRAY, THIS WELL HELP ME GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL. Are you kidding me???

Believe me I have been to 8 different Doctors, and spoken to even more. I have researched everything there is to about my illness. I've done everything I can. Thinking about my situation and what could happen is the last thing I want to do. Most of you people posting have no idea what it's like to go through a situation like this, and believe me if it were you I don't think you would like to have this on your mind at all time. I don't sit here and think about death, I know i'm going to over come this, and I don't want it to slow me down or put a damper on my future plans.

Im glad almost everyone on here assumes that I have done nothing about curing my illness, and the only thing I worry about is exploiting this. Honestly people enough with the assumptions, you don't know anything about me. I get tested every month to moniter for changes, THERE IS NOTHING MORE I CAN DO. SORRY FOR NOT CRYING OVER THIS EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE, I TRIED THAT FOR THE FIRST MONTH AND IT WASN'T VERY FUN.

Well, I do apologize for what I said. Since you were talking about your PS, I assumed that you were applying within the next few months - i.e. in the upcoming cycle. If that were the case, then yes - I'd still think that your sense of priorities was pretty f!cked up. Sorry, but I would. Applying is hard enough even when you're totally healthy, but trying to apply while possibly undergoing cancer treatment is insane.

I saw from one of your other posts that you just finished your first year of pre-med. If so, then - I do apologize for what I said.

As a first year in pre-med, it's really early for anyone to be thinking about the PS or the application. It's also really early to wonder if XYZ will boost your application or not. Just use pre-med to figure out what kind of doctor you'd like to be (i.e. clinician or researcher) or even if you WANT to be a doctor at all. The "rules" for pre-med are simple: stay healthy, get as high a GPA as you can, prepare well for the MCAT, and keep a clean rap sheet - don't do anything stupid with alcohol, drugs, or prostitutes. (I wish I were kidding on this one, but I've heard horror stories.) If, a few years from now, you look back on this experience and you think it shaped your desire to be a doctor, then go ahead and use it in your PS. But, for now, just take it one step at a time.

I think it's brave that you're looking to find something positive in this experience. I just don't think that "having something to write about in my PS" is one of those silver linings that you're looking for - not yet, anyway.

One of my classmates was diagnosed with cancer a few years before he applied to med school. He said that, while he wishes that he'd never had cancer, he's "grateful" because the experience taught him to truly value the things that matter - his friends, his family, etc. It gave him a really great outlook on life, and I think that that's the positive aspect of the experience, for him, at least.

Good luck with everything.