Dec 4, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys

Can anyone please explain to me how cancer occurs?

and what is the difference between cancer and tumor?

Do you guys think that cancer will be curable in 50 years?

thanks

JP2740

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
There are textbooks dedicated towards answering these questions. Basically a mutation occurs in a cell that makes it able to undergo proliferation (or lack of apoptosis) without any checks on it. Eventually, as the cancer cells keeps on dividing, they begin to stack on each other and make a tumor. That's as simplistic as I can make it.

No one knows when something will be cured. Somebody can accidentally discover a breakthrough tomorrow. It's such a highly funded area, so at the very least I would expect the treatments to be better and different, but can't say cure.

Etorphine

7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There isn't really one disease called "cancer." In real life, there are hundreds of "cancers" with unique etiologies, but that are all fairly independent of one another.

This is why for people in the field, it is increasingly difficult to "cure cancer." There are so many different diseases that fall under the umbrella of cancer.

OP
J
Dec 4, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you guys.

It just scares me when I think about it.

People die out everyday because of this unpredictable illness.

what type of cancer is considered as the most dangerous cancer nowadays?

Brain Cancer probably?

or Is there any way that we can prevent or protect ourselves from cancer?

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you guys.

It just scares me when I think about it.

People die out everyday because of this unpredictable illness.

what type of cancer is considered as the most dangerous cancer nowadays?

Brain Cancer probably?

or Is there any way that we can prevent or protect ourselves from cancer?
Well first let me also answer your question as to what's the difference between a cancer. Cancer is a general term for any disease that occurs because some cell in teh body has mutated and started to multiply nonstop and eventually becomes capable of spreading.

A tumor or a neoplasm is generally a big mass of cells. Some tumors are benign, meaning they don't become capable of spreading throughout the body. This also can mean in layman's terms that it's not a cancer and generally won't be capable of killing you (assuming it doesn't do something crazy like block a blood vessel or take up too much space. Most cancers do form tumors, but not all of them (such as leukemia, in this case all teh cancer cells are in the blood and bone marrow and can't form the solid masses that are called tumors. some people get super fancy and call these "liquid tumors", but I'm not a fan of that.

It's really hard to answer the question of what's the worst cancer because for each organ or other part of the body there are multiple types of cancer depending on which cell types are forming the cancer. Some cancers are common, others are extremely rare, some are deadly and some are easily curable. There are actually curative treatments for many types of cancers. Brain cancer has several types and there are some that are treatable and some that are horrible to get.

Of all cancers to get, I'd say many pancreatic cancers, many lung cancers, and many ovarian cancers are among the worst to get. Of the cancers that I wouldn't mind having, there are a couple skin cancers, most thyroid cancers, and testicular cancers that are easily treatable nowadays.

How to prevent cancer? depends on teh type, don't smoke to decrease the chances of developing lung Ca and pancreatic Ca, etc. wear sun screen and don't try to tan a lot to reduce your risk of skin cancers.

Lastly, you shouldn't think of cancer as some mysterious illness that strikes at random and is to be more feared than any other disease. Cancer is a disease, it sucks. There are other diseases that are also very bad to get. In the end, try to live as healthy a life as you reasonably can. You only get one, enjoy it while it's there instead of fearing when it's not going to be there.

OP
J
Dec 4, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
but can you explain what pancreatic cancer is?

haha I feel like I am stupid...

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
but can you explain what pancreatic cancer is?

haha I feel like I am stupid...
It's when certain cells in the pancreas mutate, and then begin multiplying uncontrollably, start forming a tumor and then spreading across the body.

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Look into p53.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Carincinoma pretty much make up the majority of cancers (cancers arising from epithelial cells). From my cancer class, I recall 80% of all cancers are adenocarcinomas. So any kind of epithelial cells that are secretory have a high chance of becoming cancerous.

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Look into p53.
Yep, p53 disfunction is a huge one and there are also others including p21 and p14. What I also found shocking was that PTEN loss was associated with 30-40% of all cancers.