Candidate Officers Training Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to that wonderful place called Alabama this summer (July) ?

Members don't see this ad.

Going right before you -- just got booked for the June COT session.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will hit 90 degrees by 9am and it is humid too...but OTS for incoming med professionals is a joke...won't be bad at all...how many weeks is it for you guys?

I'll be there in June

It will hit 90 degrees by 9am and it is humid too...but OTS for incoming med professionals is a joke...won't be bad at all...how many weeks is it for you guys?

About 32 days....

Hello, I'll be in August 2007 COT.

I'll be there in July.

hey guys,
I am at COT now -- if you have any questions, post & I will try to reply in the next day or two.

hey guys,
I am at COT now -- if you have any questions, post & I will try to reply in the next day or two.
How if the morale there, and how are the instructors? Are you learning anything new?

hey guys,

Did you have your uniforms and boots before you went to COT? Or did you have a chance to purchase them there before you started the training?

If you can get some or all of your uniform together (&washed/ironed/boots polished) before you arrive it will save you some hassle in the first day or two, but definitely don't stress if you can't -- most people arrive without anything.

The instructors are excellent. To me the course material has varied from very useful and interesting (leadership) to dull but necessary (military law, unprofessional relationships, etc). The time here is short and they are not going to waste it. If you got into D school you don't need to stress about being able to handle the academic load at COT.

As far as morale, just realize that some people found the first few days to be harsh but that soon changes to challenging/fun. For the first few days, starting the moment you arrive, you will be in a "boot camp" atmosphere and need to have thick skin. Very soon you will start learning the ropes and your interactions with the staff will take a big turn for the better. If you start to learn the Operating Instructions NOW, with a focus on military customs and courtesies, you will minimize the flak you catch in those first few days.

Overall a very positive experience. You will learn and gain a lot from your 4 weeks at Maxwell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very nice of you to share with us, Thanks :D

I'm down here now at COT as well..and I definitely agree. Know your OI's down..it will save you a lot of hassle. The MTI's will get in your face initially but its their job to get you used to it. If you can get your reporting procedures, customs and courtesies, and dining procedures down ASAP..you'll be way ahead of the game. and as was stated earlier, if you can get uniforms prior..do it...it'll save you the hassle of fighting w/ people at the clothing store. We have a pretty big class here now..and the next one (july) is supposed to be bigger. Oh, and bring plenty of cash...much more than the website says..they are going to hit you up for all kinds of things while you are here. Dont think that you are packing too much...bring as much as you can think of. Bring stuff to do laundry, toiletries, snacks (pre-packaged...you'll thank me for this later), sunscreen..and anything else you can think of. Be prepared to be overwhelmed for the first few days...once you get acclamated its not so bad. It's a lot of book work and the PT in the morning isn't "too" bad...its just really early in the morning and when you have to sit in class all day...you tend to want to pass out. FYI..dont fall asleep in the auditorium. ... Come in w/ an open mind...if you are willing to put forth the effort you will learn a lot about the air force, and about yourself.

Thanks for all the advise!!!

Congratulations on almost finishing!!! :clap:

June 29th, right? :bow:

Can you detail about the PT? Like what is a usual day like? do you know if it differs for the women? I'm assuming the girls and guys are separated?

Can you detail about the PT? Like what is a usual day like? do you know if it differs for the women? I'm assuming the girls and guys are separated?

It's same for both sexes and everybody does PT together. You do a set of stretches; then either some sort of running drill or on alterate days an upper body strength workout (emphasis on various kinds of situps and pushups); finally some cooldown stretches. You're looking at about an hour overall. Definitely strenuous if you do each exercize properly, but not anything to fear.

I'm down here now at COT as well..and I definitely agree. Know your OI's down..it will save you a lot of hassle. The MTI's will get in your face initially but its their job to get you used to it. If you can get your reporting procedures, customs and courtesies, and dining procedures down ASAP..you'll be way ahead of the game. and as was stated earlier, if you can get uniforms prior..do it...it'll save you the hassle of fighting w/ people at the clothing store. We have a pretty big class here now..and the next one (july) is supposed to be bigger. Oh, and bring plenty of cash...much more than the website says..they are going to hit you up for all kinds of things while you are here. Dont think that you are packing too much...bring as much as you can think of. Bring stuff to do laundry, toiletries, snacks (pre-packaged...you'll thank me for this later), sunscreen..and anything else you can think of. Be prepared to be overwhelmed for the first few days...once you get acclamated its not so bad. It's a lot of book work and the PT in the morning isn't "too" bad...its just really early in the morning and when you have to sit in class all day...you tend to want to pass out. FYI..dont fall asleep in the auditorium. ... Come in w/ an open mind...if you are willing to put forth the effort you will learn a lot about the air force, and about yourself.

I'm getting the COT nightmares all over again!

I wonder if Capt. Rich, Maj Ladd, SSgt. Kearny, are still there?

Some MTI's are really good and knowledgeable. and some are there because they have an excuse to abuse a high ranking officer. There's this a*hole DI who i called Sgt. Taps (cuz his metal heels caused him to tap when he walks), that loves to abuse this 50yo dentist Lt Col. It was sad, funny and pathetic at the same time. He chewed me out once because i had put 3 glasses water and not 4 on my lunch tray. Believe you me you don't want to piss Sgt. Taps off.

ALso another word of advice: DON'T VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING!! haha...j/k only if you're that type of person that wants to do this as a career. I volunteered to be squadron commander, boy was that a mistake. All your mistakes gets highlighted for the whole class to see. Felt like jr high all over again.

:eek: 4 glasses of water, not 3. :scared:Got it, Thanks.:p:laugh:

I'm getting the COT nightmares all over again!

I wonder if Capt. Rich, Maj Ladd, SSgt. Kearny, are still there?

Some MTI's are really good and knowledgeable. and some are there because they have an excuse to abuse a high ranking officer. There's this a*hole DI who i called Sgt. Taps (cuz his metal heels caused him to tap when he walks), that loves to abuse this 50yo dentist Lt Col. It was sad, funny and pathetic at the same time. He chewed me out once because i had put 3 glasses water and not 4 on my lunch tray. Believe you me you don't want to piss Sgt. Taps off.

ALso another word of advice: DON'T VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING!! haha...j/k only if you're that type of person that wants to do this as a career. I volunteered to be squadron commander, boy was that a mistake. All your mistakes gets highlighted for the whole class to see. Felt like jr high all over again.

Maj ladd is here..sgt kearny is here..and sgt taps as well..aka sgt garza. and Yes...try not to volunteer much unless you are someone who likes to stand out and wants an award at the end of the class.

So do you all think it would be possible to arrive to Maxwell either a day before or just early on our travel day in order to purchase some or all of our uniforms? Would we even be able to get clearance?

Maj ladd is here..sgt kearny is here..and sgt taps as well..aka sgt garza. and Yes...try not to volunteer much unless you are someone who likes to stand out and wants an award at the end of the class.

Haha...how do you like it? I hated COT, it was hot, humid and the people there are a-holes. But i did keep an open mind, made lots of friends, and learned alot about myself and the Air Force. And no....not everyone who volunteered got an award. I had the largest squadron (Falcon) in the group, and it took more work to get us do things the right way and the award ended up going to another squadron.

Who's your Flt/CC by the way? I wonder if Maj Kim is still there? he was hard, but he was fair.

So do you all think it would be possible to arrive to Maxwell either a day before or just early on our travel day in order to purchase some or all of our uniforms? Would we even be able to get clearance?

what does your orders say? If it allows you to travel at a certain time frame. Get there a day early and take a cab the following day.

feel free to PM me if you want more q's answered, tips and such. You can also email me when you get to your dorms.

Haha...how do you like it? I hated COT, it was hot, humid and the people there are a-holes. But i did keep an open mind, made lots of friends, and learned alot about myself and the Air Force. And no....not everyone who volunteered got an award. I had the largest squadron (Falcon) in the group, and it took more work to get us do things the right way and the award ended up going to another squadron.

Who's your Flt/CC by the way? I wonder if Maj Kim is still there? he was hard, but he was fair.

what does your orders say? If it allows you to travel at a certain time frame. Get there a day early and take a cab the following day.

feel free to PM me if you want more q's answered, tips and such. You can also email me when you get to your dorms.

I loved COT. I thought it was great. Maj Kim is still here too...he wasn't my flt/cc but he was cool w/ me..i talked to him a while. I was in the Falcon Squadron as well...but we were the smallest this time..the Griffins were the biggest..but I think in the next Class the Falcons will get 6 flights..making them the largest again. I really had an awesome at COT. You will be busy dont get me wrong...and there will be times that you will think "god this is SOO not worth it"..but all I will say..is wait until the last couple of days...it did for me

Looking back i didn't love COT, but i don't hate it. It made me the leader i am today and i made some lifelong friends.

The hardest part was being the squadron cc, because no matter what you did....it was wrong. And the squadron has you to blame. If i started off as the low-key OT then maybe i would have enjoyed it, but i wouldn't have gotten the experience.

my favorite instructors are SSgt Kearny, Maj Kim, Capt. Bearly, Capt Rich,

"Sir, Captain Snuffy requests permission to enter."

I don't miss that at all. How long are you guys "in the field" now?

COT wasn't too bad. Just don't get too drunk at the dinning in and pass out in the hallway on your cell phone with your wife who is nine months pregnant. A dude in my flight did this. He spent the last three days wondering if four and a half weeks at COT was worth the wrath of his wife.

Combat Casualty Care Course will be many of your next stop in professional development. This was a pretty cool week, but the Army facilities are quite a bit different from the Holiday Inn in Maxwell.

Good luck

"Sir, Captain Snuffy requests permission to enter."

I don't miss that at all. How long are you guys "in the field" now?

COT wasn't too bad. Just don't get too drunk at the dinning in and pass out in the hallway on your cell phone with your wife who is nine months pregnant. A dude in my flight did this. He spent the last three days wondering if four and a half weeks at COT was worth the wrath of his wife.

Combat Casualty Care Course will be many of your next stop in professional development. This was a pretty cool week, but the Army facilities are quite a bit different from the Holiday Inn in Maxwell.

Good luck

C4 was fun and the navy and airforce guys were hilarious. =)