monica949

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2007
Status
This thread has probably been covered a billion times but since I can't find it, I was wondering whether stafford loans are extended to students attending PharmD programs that have candidate status as far as accreditation goes. I hear different things, so I am still unclear about it. :confused:

Dec 19, 2009
Wisconsin
Status
Pharmacy Student
Yes, pharmacy schools cannot accept students until they have meet several requirements and achieved pre-candidate status from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). Pre-candidate school status demonstrates that the school has taken into account ACPE standards and guidelines, and suggests reasonable assurances of moving to the next step, that of candidate status.
The next level of accreditation occurs after the school is operating. It then becomes a new school “in candidate status.” Full accreditation requires another three years and can occur only after the first class of students graduates.

Once the school can accept students, those students are eligible for Stafford loans.

Hope this helps. I had a friend tell me the same thing. I thought, hmmm . . . . that would require any new school to recruit only people with tens of thousands of dollars in their bank accounts - then I realized she didn't know what she was talking about.

Apr 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Yes, pharmacy schools cannot accept students until they have meet several requirements and achieved pre-candidate status from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). Pre-candidate school status demonstrates that the school has taken into account ACPE standards and guidelines, and suggests reasonable assurances of moving to the next step, that of candidate status.
The next level of accreditation occurs after the school is operating. It then becomes a new school "in candidate status." Full accreditation requires another three years and can occur only after the first class of students graduates.

Once the school can accept students, those students are eligible for Stafford loans.

Hope this helps. I had a friend tell me the same thing. I thought, hmmm . . . . that would require any new school to recruit only people with tens of thousands of dollars in their bank accounts - then I realized she didn't know what she was talking about.
that's smart thinking on your part...