Canine Rehabilitation/PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoggySue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently a rising undergraduate, and I recently decided to take a year off before applying to veterinary school because I know my application is not nearly competitive enough in regards to my experience hours.

Because of my first hand experience seeing its benefits, I'm really interested in canine rehabilitation/sports medicine/physical therapy, such as the certification offered to DVMs and PTs through the Canine Rehabilitation Institute: http://www.caninerehabinstitute.com/CCRT.html.

Does anyone have an inside information on this field? Such as how much money DVMs or PTs in this practice make? I'm assuming it's not their sole income, and they take a slight salary cut to do what they enjoy. If that is the case, I've been debating whether the PT to CCRT route is a better option because (in my area at least), PTs have a higher salary and have more flexible schedules than DVMs. It seems like it would be easier financially and scheduling wise to pursue this specialty from the PT route.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a ton of experience with this. I only wanted to tell you about K9 Wellness Center here where I live and that is her ONLY job. She has a facility for clients to come to and she travels for consults on CCL repairs etc. (I know her because we work with her at my clinic and because she was amazing for PT with my back dachshund) So I don't know how feasible it is in every situation, but I think it's doable to make it your only "job" :)

Personally, I would go the PT route with a whole bunch of experience on handling.

I spent a few months this spring volunteering at a canine rehab center and LOVED it. There were several students there at the same time studying for there CCRP (rehab practitioner cert.) from different backgrounds. The practice owner is a vet, assisted by a tech. The students were a PT, a vet, and a few techs.

Personally, I think that the PT had the best foundation, but she was lacking in her animal handling skills. Restraint isn't taught in class and it's obviously really important.

Definitely a cool field and I think it will blossom in the next few years!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would go the PT route with a whole bunch of experience on handling.

I spent a few months this spring volunteering at a canine rehab center and LOVED it. There were several students there at the same time studying for there CCRP (rehab practitioner cert.) from different backgrounds. The practice owner is a vet, assisted by a tech. The students were a PT, a vet, and a few techs.

Personally, I think that the PT had the best foundation, but she was lacking in her animal handling skills. Restraint isn't taught in class and it's obviously really important.

Definitely a cool field and I think it will blossom in the next few years!
Ah yes. Agreed. I forgot to mention the O of K9 Wellness Center is NOT a DVM

I hope to prusue board certification in equine sports medicine and rehabilitation. I know they also off a canine track as well. Something to consider if you are going to Vet school.

Rehabilitation is one of my areas of interest as well. UTK has a 4th year clinical rotation in small animal rehabilitation. They also offer a certification in canine or equine rehab for vets, vet techs, physical therapists or physical therapist assistants. I'd loved to do it sometime after I've graduated. You can check it out here: http://www.vet.utk.edu/clinical/rehab/programs.php

I also know that in Chattanooga, TN the RIVER clinic offers physical therapy services from a PT and a vet tech who completed the course at UTK. As far as I know, it's their only job.