Canine Steroid Burst

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dr. maybe

mongoose
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Veterinary Students,
Sorry for the dumb question. Every year around this time my dog begins to scratch like a madman. He gets a steroid burst and then he is fine. I have started to take matters into my own hands and get the prednisone without going to the vet. Previously his burst was 3 days of 5mg tabs and then a taper for 12 days. That seems like a really long taper to me. What do you think about this dosage? I am used to human medicine and this is not how I would taper steroids in a human. Is this typical for a canine steroid burst/taper?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Veterinary Students,
I am used to human medicine ...

Cats are not small, furry people, which is why you need to discuss this with your veterinarian. Just like in human medicine, the attending doctor is the best person to make specific recommendations about an individual patient. I would love to sit at home in my pajamas and diagnose and treat all my patients over the internet but that just doesn't work well.

In some cases of refractory skin disease, referral to a veterinary dermatologist may be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.