Cannabis use in practice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A career in medicine doesn't offer you a time to be "...free and clear and able to smoke..." Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

So vacations don't exist for doctors huh?

Members don't see this ad.

You switched gears on me so please explain. How do vaccines have anything to do with smoking marijuana?

Uhhhh. That says "vacations," not "vaccinations."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't see on my crap screen, but same logic still stands. You have a vacation for a week or two, does that make it ok to participate in the recreational use of an illegal substance?

I'm like most here, personally I could give a crap whether it's illegal or not, but it just seems that a physician (or anyone for that matter) would not jeopardize a career for it.

Uhhhh. That says "vacations," not "vaccinations."

Reactions: 1 user
On the topic at RVU & UC and their affiliated hospitals, are they allowed to take action against someone who is using marijuana? Since it's rec legal, I am sincerely curious.

Yes, they are. I lived in Colorado during legalization. I personally don't smoke, but my employer at the time (a healthcare facility) made it abundantly clear that the drug-free workplace policy still applied, still included marijuana and we could still be fired for any positive tests.

Didn't see on my crap screen, but same logic still stands. You have a vacation for a week or two, does that make it ok to participate in the recreational use of an illegal substance?

I'm like most here, personally I could give a crap whether it's illegal or not, but it just seems that a physician (or anyone for that matter) would not jeopardize a career for it.

You're the one who changed gears here. We went from whether or not a doctor's job has the capacity to allow for use of marijuana to whether or not the legality of it has pertinence. I won't be surprised if it's legal across the country within a few years however.

On the topic at RVU & UC and their affiliated hospitals, are they allowed to take action against someone who is using marijuana? Since it's rec legal, I am sincerely curious.
They are allowed to because it's still a federal crime.

As original as this thread may sound, it has been discussed to death multiple times. Do a search.

There is an inherent incompatibility with mind altering drug use and practicing medicine. Even in states that legalize recreational use of MJ, they also have laws and statutes that directly address its use by medical professionals (not even allowed for medicinal purposes - supposedly DE passed a law last year allowing it for medical professionals with certain conditions - only instance that I know of where that's the case).

Now obviously people still drink, and some people still take drugs as physicians and DUIs happen. That said, that sort of activity, if identified by your colleagues/employer has a high risk of causing a ton of problems in your life whether its affecting your licensure (varies by state) or more likely, whether it affects your ability to be covered by your school's insurance when on rotations, the costs of your malpractice insurance, or your eligibility for certain residencies.

OP, with regards to your current situation, AT LEAST stop smoking prior to starting medical school. Many if not most medical schools require a background check and drug test (urine) prior to matriculation. Some may require blood, but that's probably rare.

Now as far as what happens after you start med school, you are always susceptible to random drug tests, but this usually only happens if you or someone in the school is suspected of illegal drug use. I also don't think I need to say that you should never have drugs on campus or even alcohol for that matter. People have been dismissed for such offenses.

In addition, many hospitals may require a drug test and will require background checks for 3rd and 4th year rotations. It's honestly not too common, but it's certainly possible.

Starting residency, you may also be required to submit to random drug tests. The same applies at your place of employment.

Now its very possible you could avoid most of the random tests along the way. That said, I recommend not using drugs during your medical training (med school and residency). The consequences of having a positive drug test are so great during that time (could jeopardize your degree, training, etc.), that its just too much to risk.

Also, something to think about: you could be in a vehicular accident at any time. Whether its your fault or not, if anyone (cops) suspects that you were driving under the influence of MJ (whether or not you personally believe you were impaired - there is no legal level for driving under the influence of an illegal substance), that will negatively affect your future. It will be something you will have to explain on your applications to med school, when you go on rotations in 3rd year, when you want to sign a contract with a hospital for residency, when you apply for licensure, etc. Drug (and alcohol) use/abuse by medical professionals is a big deal and is taken very seriously by pretty much everyone in the field.

really though...you see docs with DUI's and other issues all the time who don't lose their medical license. I highly doubt an attending would lose his license if caught with a joint or failing a (random?) drug test..

He wouldn't lose it for a 1 time offense, but people do lose it for repeated offenses. Additionally, he'll have a hell of a time getting malpractice coverage and it may affect his employment or practice rights depending on the policies of the hospital he works at or has privileges in.

Yes. Private entities and higher education can make whatever policies they want when it comes to non-protected classes/rights. MJ is delegalized in the state, that doesn't mean its a protected right. No med school is going to say, "yes feel free to toke up here". Does anyone say feel free to drink here?

On top of that certain rights (e.g. freedom of speech) only describes what a government entity is unable to censor/prosecute someone for, not what a private entity can limit (e.g. saying this company sucks, or F you to your boss can still get you fired).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yes. Private entities and higher education can make whatever policies they want when it comes to non-protected classes/rights. MJ is delegalized in the state, that doesn't mean its a protected right. No med school is going to say, "yes feel free to toke up here". Does anyone say feel free to drink here?

I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating using any type of intoxicating substance, legal or otherwise, while AT work or school. The question was whether or not you should be afraid of losing your position at work or school because you used marijuana at home, on your own time, and never let it interfere with your other responsibilities.

The answer is still yes, because even if you were to abstain, a frequent marijuana user can still test positive for over a month after the last time they used. And even in states where recreational or medical marijuana is legal, company policy can differ from state law and coincide with current federal law instead. Maybe someday marijuana will be treated like alcohol, but not yet. And no matter how much is seems like public sentiment around marijuana use is changing, the law is still the law. Sorry OP, maybe you should have been born about 20 years later.

Last edited:
The military scholarship would require a drug test as part of the physical before they decide to consider you for the scholarship. You would also be drug screened during your ADT that usually occurs between MS1 and MS2. You would be subject to any random drug screen while on ADT rotations in 3rd and forth year. Thats just the military, not even the school and hospital screenings.

It will be legalized in the majority of states in just a matter of a decade or two (at the most). I guess it's just hard for me to picture someone that has to use their brain in a very delicate way on an hallucinogen that has been shown to destroy synaptic communication.

You're the one who changed gears here. We went from whether or not a doctor's job has the capacity to allow for use of marijuana to whether or not the legality of it has pertinence. I won't be surprised if it's legal across the country within a few years however.

It will be legalized in the majority of states in just a matter of a decade or two (at the most). I guess it's just hard for me to picture someone that has to use their brain in a very delicate way on an hallucinogen that has been shown to destroy synaptic communication.

Touch your head.

Did you do it?

You just killed a few neurons.

Honestly i'm doubtful it destroys synaptic communication because biologically that makes no sense. Disrupts? Maybe, but genuinely speaking a lot of other substances do as well that we consider legal.

I'm personally of the persuasion that the drug in recreational low doses probably has little damage associated to it. And when they start to study it, they will probably find similarly.

You just did a great job detailing why its so stupid its illegal in the first place.

OP I recommend you go to school at RVU

Physicians who legally use medical marijuana to treat their own debilitating conditions such as chronic pain or nausea are considered unsafe to practice medicine in the state of Colorado until such time that they no longer need the treatment, according to a policy from the Colorado Physician Health Program.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/773544

Reactions: 2 users
I won't argue that other legal substances are better because they're not. I personally would prefer marijuana be legal over alcohol.

Touch your head.

Did you do it?

You just killed a few neurons.

Honestly i'm doubtful it destroys synaptic communication because biologically that makes no sense. Disrupts? Maybe, but genuinely speaking a lot of other substances do as well that we consider legal.

I'm personally of the persuasion that the drug in recreational low doses probably has little damage associated to it. And when they start to study it, they will probably find similarly.

Stopping at a red light when there is nobody in sight is also stupid. But people do it. Why? Because we are a nation of laws. Who cares if the rules are stupid and maybe even detrimental...they are still the laws. If I am a program I tend to have a problem with my students breaking the law. Authority is important. Doing the right thing even when nobody is looking is appreciated in medicine (and in this case, not doing pot is the right thing...because it is illegal almost everyone).

A career in medicine doesn't offer you a time to be "...free and clear and able to smoke..." Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

Even less likely in military medicine practice. The drug tests are much more frequent and random. Of all the units I was in, the one with the most frequent tests was definitely the hospital. It was pretty much monthly.

And I personally believe it should be that way.

Even less likely in military medicine practice. The drug tests are much more frequent and random. Of all the units I was in, the one with the most frequent tests was definitely the hospital. It was pretty much monthly.