Cannot attend medical school due to immigration status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ULTRON

No Food And Drinks in Lab
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has been accepted to Ross Med. Unfortunately, he cannot leave the country (and come back) because he doesn't have a US "green card".

Are there any med schools located in US Commonwealth (where they don't require visa to enter) , yet, still considered as Caribbean schools?

ULTRON

Members don't see this ad.

ULTRON said:
A friend of mine has been accepted to Ross Med. Unfortunately, he cannot leave the country (and come back) because he doesn't have a US "green card".

Are there any med schools located in US Commonwealth (where they don't require visa to enter) , yet, still considered as Caribbean schools?

ULTRON

I dont think there's any on any US territories but check GUAM or the Virgin Islands. The Puerto Rican ones are LCME accredited...sorry...

ULTRON said:

ULTRON

You do not need a greencard to leave or enter the country. Your friend needs to get a visitor's visa on his re-entry. Important facts are missing in this post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Actually, my friend is on "permanent residence pending" status, which means, he'll get his green card in 2008....but he doesn't want to wait till 2008 to enter med school.

By visitors visa, you mean to re-enter the US?

ULTRON

ULTRON said:
Thanks for the reply. Actually, my friend is on "permanent residence pending" status, which means, he'll get his green card in 2008....but he doesn't want to wait till 2008 to enter med school.

ULTRON

I knew there were important facts missing in the original post. It looks like your friend will have to defer for a year or more. So, even if he gets the provisional green card in the next few months (unlikely since they are super backed up, and are still processing 2003 apps), he'll have to spend a significant part of the year in the country to establish residence for the actual green card. Going out of the country for med school would mean he'll be out of the country for at least 9 months. You cannot do this while you're being processed. More immediately, he cannot leave the country without his provisional green card. That just ruins your case. I say your friend should totally forget a school outside the US. Besides, a greencard is only valuable here in the US. It makes med school application super easy. The cold truth is that your friend will likely have to decline the offer and try to get into a US med school.

What exactly do you mean by "pending"? Do you mean approved but pending?Like, he received the approval letter, but not the card itself? Or, his application hasn't been approved yet?

The problem is that when you greencard is "pending", it can last anywhere between a few weeks and a few months, or even years. I was an International student and applied for permanent residency about 3 years ago. My greencard got "approved" this year, in the Fall. Then, my status was "pending" for about 2 months, and I just got my card a couple of weeks ago. My brother applied at the same time I did, was "approved" before me (in the Spring of last year) and is still "pending"... meaning that he still does not have his greencard in hand. it's been almost a year for him!

It can be random and depends on a lot of things like gender (not kidding, if you are originally from the middle-east, like I am, you are much more likely to get your greencard approved if you are a female), country of origin, date when you applied (before or after sept 11, war, etc) and your original status (it's harder to try to change a student visa into a greencard, for example).

But, if he is in the process of getting his greencard and leaves the US, it'll be over for him. He won;t be able to come back here if he leaves the US now. He has to stay and get the greencard first. But, Ross is very understanding about that and will let him defer for a year. I applied there last year after not getting into US schools, was accepted, then ask for deferment because of the visa issue, and got the deferment.

I ended up using the year off to re-apply to US schools and will likely get in somehwere in the US this year (crossing fingers! :) )... But the point is: he has to ask for a derferment.

Hope this helps a little. Gluck, I know it sucks. :luck:

KiKat37 said:
But, if he is in the process of getting his greencard and leaves the US, it'll be over for him. He won;t be able to come back here if he leaves the US now. He has to stay and get the greencard first. But, Ross is very understanding about that and will let him defer for a year. I applied there last year after not getting into US schools, was accepted, then ask for deferment because of the visa issue, and got the deferment.

I ended up using the year off to re-apply to US schools and will likely get in somehwere in the US this year (crossing fingers! :) )... But the point is: he has to ask for a derferment.

Hope this helps a little. Gluck, I know it sucks. :luck:

I totally agree. However, if you have a greencard, you have to be in the country for a period of time (I believe it is 6 months) to maintain your status. Just because a greencard is also known as "permanent residency" doesn't mean it is exactly permanent. You have to maintain status as with all visa classes. Do not forget that a greencard is infact an immigrant visa. So, going to a med school - which will keep you out of the country for a period - will be a problem. Kikat, what do you think?

GuyLaroche said:
I totally agree. However, if you have a greencard, you have to be in the country for a period of time (I believe it is 6 months) to maintain your status. Just because a greencard is also known as "permanent residency" doesn't mean it is exactly permanent. You have to maintain status as with all visa classes. Do not forget that a greencard is infact an immigrant visa. So, going to a med school - which will keep you out of the country for a period - will be a problem. Kikat, what do you think?

Thats not entirely true. All you need to do is to NOT be outside the U.S contiuously for more than 6 months at a time. So if ur outside, u have to come back for at least one day every six months which would be easy to do with the nomal med school schedule (winter break, summer break). I had a friend who almost lost her status because she was on a mission trip so she had to fly back and spent 4 hours in JFK airport and flew right back just to maintain the status.

ULTRON said:

ULTRON
That is VERY shaky territory. I was once in the same status. If you leave the U.S., while PR status is pending, it HAS to be for a family emergency, a bonafide business reason or something similar and is HAS to be temporary. Your friend must obtain a special from from the BCIS (used to be the INS) and gain approval otherwise his temporary leave - for any reason - is considered an abandonment of your petition for permanent residency and you are subject to a two-year home requirement (in your country of citizenship). Attending medical school out of the country will obviously be more than temporary. The other issue is funding: for some of the governmental loans, you must have your green card in hand; they do not accept the pending status or even the "approved" status with an alien registration number while you are waiting on the card being printed. It's tough waiting in this category. :oops:

Once your friend has his green card, s/he will have to at least come back on US soil every 6 months. I asked the lady at immigration what that meant since I am thinking about going back to Montreal for med school. She told me that as long as I drove across the border and back, I would be fine.

In the meantime, your friend can file a I-131 (I think) which is called travel document - advanced parole. I don't know if this would work for med school since it's a long commitment, but it's worth a try. It's the only way you can get out of the US and be allowed to come back when your green card is pending.