Cannot for the life of me find a DO to shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in a pretty large pop. area, so I thought it would be fairly doable to find a DO to shadow... but boy am I wrong right now.

I was able to shadow 2 MD physicians, and even work for one, but I cannot for the life of me cannot find a DO physician to shadow. They're all either too busy, not taking any students due to COVID, or are working for large hospital systems that do not accept shadowing.

Would my AACOMAS applications be harmed if I can't find DO shadowing/LoR? I see that it is "recommended" for some schools, and I don't know if that means it's actually recommended but not required, or if it's a soft requirement disguised as a recommendation.

I have 50 hours PCP/sports medicine shadowing with an MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I live in a pretty large pop. area, so I thought it would be fairly doable to find a DO to shadow... but boy am I wrong right now.

I was able to shadow 2 MD physicians, and even work for one, but I cannot for the life of me cannot find a DO physician to shadow. They're all either too busy, not taking any students due to COVID, or are working for large hospital systems that do not accept shadowing.

Would my AACOMAS applications be harmed if I can't find DO shadowing/LoR? I see that it is "recommended" for some schools, and I don't know if that means it's actually recommended but not required, or if it's a soft requirement disguised as a recommendation.

Not having DO shadowing won't hurt, but having it will help.

Recommendation means exactly that.

Is there a DO school in driving distance?

Not having DO shadowing won't hurt, but having it will help.

Recommendation means exactly that.

Is there a DO school in driving distance?

Hi Goro, yes I live ~30 miles away from Western COMP. Should I reach out to the school for shadowing opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)

Things are weird with Covid. Take any shadowing you can get. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting a DO specifically because hospitals and groups can have more strict rules now and patients don’t like lots of people in the room. If you can shadow a DO, that’s great but I wouldn’t worry too much if you can’t

I think that in some parts of the country they are more rare. I have never seen one at any of the hospitals near me. But my brother who is living in the Midwest sees one right now and says they’re more common there:

Here's a website for finding DOs near you: doctorsthatdo.com.

Got it from the office of admissions of the DO med school that rejected me post-ii.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users