Cannot shadow oral surgeon due to new HIPAA regulations 2019?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebadkabob

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shadowed my oral surgeon once in 2017 and continuously shadowed my dentist until now. I recently reached out to my oral surgeon again to see if I can shadow him before I start dental school in July 2019. He responded back saying that HIPAA has updated regulations that prohibit me from observing. Is this his subtle way of telling me he doesn’t want me shadowing him? Haha

Does anyone else know the details on this and has anyone else run into this issue recently?

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask this in the practicing dentists forum

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed my oral surgeon once in 2017 and continuously shadowed my dentist until now. I recently reached out to my oral surgeon again to see if I can shadow him before I start dental school in July 2019. He responded back saying that HIPAA has updated regulations that prohibit me from observing. Is this his subtle way of telling me he doesn’t want me shadowing him? Haha

Does anyone else know the details on this and has anyone else run into this issue recently?

Yeap! It is the polite way of saying "I got bored of you". Besides, observing is forbidden due to regulations? Ha. Very unlikely.

By the way, something similar happen to me once when I was in my last year, and shadowing two surgeons. One of the Professor who I respected academically, but not personally, got bored of me (mutual sentiment), and I moved on. The other faculty, who was actually very good friends with the mentioned Professor, didn't mind and keep helping me until the last day.

More importantly, I would spend too much time "shadowing". Papers/certificates is what it counts in the end.

Yeap! It is the polite way of saying "I got bored of you". Besides, observing is forbidden due to regulations? Ha. Very unlikely.

By the way, something similar happen to me once when I was in my last year, and shadowing two surgeons. One of the Professor who I respected academically, but not personally, got bored of me (mutual sentiment), and I moved on. The other faculty, who was actually very good friends with the mentioned Professor, didn't mind and keep helping me until the last day.

More importantly, I would spend too much time "shadowing". Papers/certificates is what it counts in the end.
Sheesh... It's kind of upsetting to see how he thought this was "polite". Would've rather him say he was super busy or something instead haha

Regardless, thanks for the response! Will just have to find another oral surgeon to shadow :)

I doubt if you are getting the brush off exactly.
The HIPAA laws have not changed. HOWEVER interpretations of those laws are very fluid. Somebody probably asked the oral surgeon about HIPAA certifications for his staff and others. That posed a question he could not answer about your status and not worth the effort to find an answer. So the easy way to deal with that question was to bump you out of the picture.

Reactions: 2 users
This isn't really a big deal at all.

Focus on doing extremely well in dental school before staking your prospective OMFS career on being able to shadow.