Cannot slow/calm down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altamont850

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I've always had a Type-A personality but lately it has become an issue. The only thing I ever think about is academics and/or medical school. I'm not in school this semester (Summer) but all I've been able to think about is the upcoming Fall semester (i.e. EC's, coursework, volunteering, etc).

Someone recommended that I focus on only two activities in the Fall (courses and research) but, like many things, I do not feel this is sufficient. How do you "put up blinders" and take things one day at a time?

Members don't see this ad.

It comes with age. I'm the same way but sometimes it helps to just take a breath, step back, and take things as they come.

Try to get one of the mods to ban you from SDN, or do something ban-worthy.

Seriously though, find something that you enjoy that has nothing to do with school/medicine to take your mind off of things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can honestly say that I've always had a Type-A personality but lately it has become an issue. The only thing I ever think about is academics and/or medical school. I'm not in school this semester (Summer) but all I've been able to think about is the upcoming Fall semester (i.e. EC's, coursework, volunteering, etc).

Someone recommended that I focus on only two activities in the Fall (courses and research) but, like many things, I do not feel this is sufficient. How do you "put up blinders" and take things one day at a time?

Sometimes I am like that too. All I can think about is med school 24/7, MCAT, Research, etc... Literally. It can last for weeks. I'm on SDN 24/7 lol. Not good. Especially because I anticipate poor responses to my interview questions: "So what kind of hobbies do you have? What else do you do?" response:" :biglove::biglove::biglove: I JUST READ SCIENCE ALL DAY, DO RESEARCH ALL DAY, READ MORE SCIENCE, READ ABOUT MED SCHOOLS, AND THAT IS MY LIFE :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: "

You don't want to give that response - no matter how true it is. Seriously try to get your mind off of med school and this whole process. Focus on frisbees, UFO's, dogs, girls/guys, cars, politics, etc... Go read about meteorology. Fight your urge to think about medicine/med school. Trust me. Or you'll go nuts.

I find a bottle of wine and reasonably decent sex to be excellent stress relief.

I say "reasonably decent" because after three kids, that's about all I can hope for. :laugh:

Srsly, this is going to be the longest summer ever. I can't stop thinking about med school/mcat/research/browsing sdn. Hopfully in a couple years it will all be worth it.

I find a bottle of wine and reasonably decent sex to be excellent stress relief.

I say "reasonably decent" because after three kids, that's about all I can hope for. :laugh:

vaginoplasty not an option? serious question.

That kind of doesn't make sense though... if all you can think about is med school then clearly you want to get in.. does the research aspect because of genuine interest or partly due to the fact that you know it'll be helpful for application purposes?

The point I'm trying to make is that med schools probably want people that are personable, charismatic, leaders, etc so why not go work on those aspects of your application? Go OUT. Watch SPORTS. Hang out with FRIENDS. Because med school is going to get HARD and being a doctor is going to get HARD. What will you do to relieve the stress?

I don't know you, but you can at the very least be able to do research, coursework, and volunteer ALL WHILE HAVING A SOCIAL LIFE. With a little hard work and good time management skills, you can squeeze in a leadership position or two. The important thing is do things you genuinely care about and enjoy. It'll show and your application and during your interview.

:eek: I guess your significant other does not get on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek: I guess your significant other does not get on SDN.

Actually, he's looking over my shoulder right now. ;)

First, it was a joke. You know, funny. Laugh, hahaha!

No? Guess not. :oops:

After kids, things change. And private parts have little to do with it. Exhaustion, lack of time, etc. tend to be the limiting factors.

ETA: My husband thinks it's quite funny. He says, "You should tell them, 'But no, I don't get off on SDN.'"

Disregard females, Acquire MD.

ETA: My husband thinks it's quite funny. He says, "You should tell them, 'But no, I don't get off on SDN.'"

:thumbup::laugh:

Disregard females, Acquire MD.

hmm, i was going to burn you, but you edited your post. I wouldn't agree with that personally... it's good to have the love and support of a partner. You can better weather the storm. Of course there pros and cons, but the pros outweigh the cons IMO.

get some friends and go see a movie sometime, or y'know, watch television like a regular person.

First, it was a joke. You know, funny. Laugh, hahaha!

No? Guess not. :oops:

After kids, things change. And private parts have little to do with it. Exhaustion, lack of time, etc. tend to be the limiting factors.

Whew... that's good to know. And btw I have 5 boys so I understand.

And by the way you explained yourself, you seem quite the comedian indeed. :D

hmm, i was going to burn you, but you edited your post. I wouldn't agree with that personally... it's good to have the love and support of a partner. You can better weather the storm. Of course there pros and cons, but the pros outweigh the cons IMO.

I think you misinterpreted his comment. It was a joke, and a reference to the pop culture saying: "fu*k b!tches, get money"

I've actually been exactly the same way for the past couple days and its actually driving me insane. I signed up too late to volunteer anywhere but I'm going to try and find a research lab to get into over the summer or something. If you're just as type A as I am, the unproductive nature (major assumption, it might be extremely productive but I find I'm worrying about this stuff when I'm unproductive) of your summer might be a factor. Regardless, getting off SDN and enjoying your summer as best as you can will work wonders to relieve that stress!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

Find some hobby that's really fun for you. Something that you're good at or something that you enjoy. It might take some exploring and dabbling, but it's not going to be impossible.

This will be important if any interviewers ask if you have any hobbies. You don't want to sound like a study robot. You want to sound like a PERSON. For me, it's singing. For my friend, it's baseball. For you, it can be ANYTHING.

I have to say this is quite common... I have a couple of weeks off before summer school, and an internship, so I am truly not doing anything besides read, watch some of the medical documentaries Venom5 posted, be on SDN and hang out. Sometimes you want to stay away from the whole med school application thing (for one's own sanity).

I'm a rising sophomore and I am constantly thinking about medical school and residency and such as well. It's pretty much all I talk about; I'm lucky that my family and boyfriend are patient with me!! I don't know how to make myself stop. I've been this focused on it for about a year and a half. I do play games and hang out and do stuff, but I'm always still pondering this EC or that grade and which way to study for the MCAT and everything. It's kind of a problem, but I don't know if I want to do anything to stop it for fear of that stunting my chances of getting in... Irrational, I know, but what can ya do.

Gotta say, this thread is a relief. It's nice to see that some other people are obsessing about medicine as much as I am! That being said.. I have no useful information for OP. Just thought I'd chime in and say that I'm in the same boat :)

Wow, you guys seem like you'd be fun at parties...

I spend very little time thinking about residency and I'm starting in 3 weeks; you guys need to chill the f out and find something fun to do. We like well-rounded and fun people kn med school. When I interview people like that for med school they get a nice mediocre report from me (which = reject).

Wow, you guys seem like you'd be fun at parties...

I spend very little time thinking about residency and I'm starting in 3 weeks; you guys need to chill the f out and find something fun to do. We like well-rounded and fun people kn med school. When I interview people like that for med school they get a nice mediocre report from me (which = reject).

Yeah, well rounded people who can work 100+ hours a week doing the same damn thing every day with little sleep. :confused:

OP, what I think drizzt means is learn how to fake being "normal" until you're in residency. Then you can drop any semblance of a life and nail yourself on the cross for your residency. Well rounded people? :laugh:

Yeah, well rounded people who can work 100+ hours a week doing the same damn thing every day with little sleep. Well rounded people.

:confused:

Idk, maybe your med school is malignant or w/e but I never worked even close to 100 hours during a single week in med school. I think I hit 80 hours maybe once during OB.

I worked out at least 4 days a week throughout all of med school. I went out to the bars with friends at least one of fri/sat every weekend (2-4 times a week during m1 and 4), did 15-20 hours of research a week with double digit pubs, and was in multiple nice relationships.

Idk, maybe your med school is malignant or w/e but I never worked even close to 100 hours during a single week in med school. I think I hit 80 hours maybe once during OB.

I was referring to neurosurgery residency in particular. I'm sure there are plenty of other fields that are just as proudly malignant.

Hell no, in the first two years of medical school you get 8 hours of sleep every night, don't have to go to class, and might have to be on campus once a month. It's easier than college.

I was referring to neurosurgery residency in particular. I'm sure there are plenty of other fields that are just as proudly malignant.

Hell no, in the first two years of medical school you get 8 hours of sleep every night, don't have to go to class, and might have to be on campus once a month. It's easier than college.

Haha I'm doing rads; I'll be chilling throughout res.

Omg i feel the exact same way! Im even getting jaw pain from the stress,thinking i may have tmj!

Ill take others advice on here and try to relax & do other fun things.

-

Last edited:
Disregard everything, acquire 40+ MCAT.
40 MCAT at this point is low yield. Get a 34 MCAT and start studying for STEP 1. Since you're going to a low tier medical school, you'll get class rank #1 no problem and end up with a 285.

Does it really work like that in medical school? That's kinda how i picked my undergraduate school lol.

40 MCAT at this point is low yield. Get a 34 MCAT and start studying for STEP 1. Since you're going to a low tier medical school, you'll get class rank #1 no problem and end up with a 285.

Does it really work like that in medical school? That's kinda how i picked my undergraduate school lol.
Yup. Only naive gunners go to highly ranked medical schools. Oh wow, you got a 260 on your STEP 1? That is just so average. You're not going to get good letters of rec that way. Go to a school where a 285 will stand out. For max STEP 1 studying in first and second year you have to pick a low ranked school with audio/video lectures and no mandatory attendence beyond anatomy labs. Although honestly it's best to start this process in college. Annotate your copy of First Aid with information from your neurosciences, medical micro/immunology, human physiology, and medical biochemistry/genetics courses. You should be getting around a 220 on your first USMLEWorld self assessment a few days after orientation.

Yup. Only naive gunners go to highly ranked medical schools. Oh wow, you got a 260 on your STEP 1? That is just so average. You're not going to get good letters of rec that way. Go to a school where a 285 will stand out. For max STEP 1 studying in first and second year you have to pick a low ranked school with audio/video lectures and no mandatory attendence beyond anatomy labs. Although honestly it's best to start this process in college. Annotate your copy of First Aid with information from your neurosciences, medical micro/immunology, human physiology, and medical biochemistry/genetics courses. You should be getting around a 220 on your first USMLEWorld self assessment a few days after orientation.

:thumbup::thumbup:

All good advice.

285 step 1 is weak, what's that, a 94?

We all know real gunners don't settle for anything less than 99. Be like Leonidas, go for the 300.

I deal with it by letting myself browse med forums for a month or so at the beginning of summer and then walking away and making sure my friends know I need some help relaxing. After a few weeks of being dragged out of the house every other day, you forget all about school until the week before classes begin.