Can't afford medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelullaby99

RIP
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Loans, they're your friends. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, while of course if you can spend less money its better. But in this case its nothing to worry about.

Loans, they're your friends. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, while of course if you can spend less money its better. But in this case its nothing to worry about.

I agree. Take out loans for med school like everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most loans for international students require US citizen/£resident cosigner and I believe they'll be private loans bco federal loans require borrower 2 be citizen/resident (I think).w. they a thread about getting loans as an foreign student, search the site. Definitely keep exploring cosigners ask relatives or family friends,, also apply for the greencard lottery (never know). Call med school finaid Offices and ask about banks the lend to F1 students, explore all options. Goodluck

Hi all, I'm a newcomer here. Please be kind.:p
Anyhow I'm an International Student (on F1 visa) currently attending a US University majoring in Chemical Engineering (minor in Math, Chem and Bio). So I basically have decided to go to medical school...

My cGPA is 3.4ish
My sGPA is 3.71 (using AMCAS calculator)
Planning to take MCAT after my Organic Chem next Spring

My question is, I need to know the cheapest school I can get into considering I'm out of state (obviously)? I see that most Texas schools are within my range, around $20K per year. And I want to apply to Case Western for their Cleveland Clinic Program that gives out full tuition scholarship (but I think it's impossible for me).

I come here to see if any of you guys more experienced members can guide me through selecting the appropriate school. Undergraduate school is kind of putting a pressure on my finances, so I don't think I can afford anything beyond that $20K-ish cost of attendance per year.

Advice.:)

edit: the other school I'm interested in is Virginia Commonwealth. I don't know how to find schools, so I come here to ask. The only schools I know are of big names, like Harvard (I know haha).

Your chances of getting into a medical school as an international student is very slim. Not saying impossible but very, very hard as most students get US government loans (Federal Perkins, subsidized and unsubsidized, etc) to pay for school so you being a non-citizen does not qualify you for those loans. That said you can apply to state schools since they're cheaper (don't know if they count foreign students as out of state) but they have a preference for their own in-state kids so you being a non-citizen might hurt your chances there too. The other option is to apply to private schools but those are quite expensive and you'll be competing against many many more qualified applicants than some state schools with nearly perfect academic qualifications. So this is why I am somewhat skeptical of your chances and trying to help you understand your situation. Again, not saying impossible just it's an uphill battle for you.

My family income wasn't enough for me to pay for the US or Uk medical universities even if my High school results were almost perfect. I had to accept the Chinese scholarship I was awarded, your grades don't seem to be that great but you can still start looking for universities elsewhere other than the US...

Anyhow I'm an International Student (on F1 visa) currently attending a US University majoring in Chemical Engineering (minor in Math, Chem and Bio). So I basically have decided to go to medical school...

My cGPA is 3.4ish

My question is, I need to know the cheapest school I can get into considering I'm out of state (obviously)? I see that most Texas schools are within my range, around $20K per year. And I want to apply to Case Western for their Cleveland Clinic Program that gives out full tuition scholarship (but I think it's impossible for me).

I come here to see if any of you guys more experienced members can guide me through selecting the appropriate school. Undergraduate school is kind of putting a pressure on my finances, so I don't think I can afford anything beyond that $20K-ish cost of attendance per year.

edit: the other school I'm interested in is Virginia Commonwealth. I don't know how to find schools, so I come here to ask. The only schools I know are of big names, like Harvard (I know haha).

If you really want to find schools, you should consider buying/borrowing a copy of the MSAR.

Also,

http://www2.fiu.edu/~preprofc/International_Students_School_Policies.htm

This is a bit outdated, but you'll probably find it useful. :)

Your chances of getting into a medical school as an international student is very slim. Not saying impossible but very, very hard as most students get US government loans (Federal Perkins, subsidized and unsubsidized, etc) to pay for school so you being a non-citizen does not qualify you for those loans. That said you can apply to state schools since they're cheaper (don't know if they count foreign students as out of state) but they have a preference for their own in-state kids so you being a non-citizen might hurt your chances there too. The other option is to apply to private schools but those are quite expensive and you'll be competing against many many more qualified applicants than some state schools with nearly perfect academic qualifications. So this is why I am somewhat skeptical of your chances and trying to help you understand your situation. Again, not saying impossible just it's an uphill battle for you.

I think private schools are generally more accepting of internationals than state schools, due to them not depending on the government for nearly as much funding and having to accept a ton of IS applicants.

Another problem is that he can't take out federal loans, and thus many schools will require you demonstrate that you have the funds to pay for the whole cost of attendance outright available. :(

This is a tough one. First off, it is possible to get into an MD school as an international student but you will have to knock their socks off in order for them to accept you and i am speaking from experience here. First off, the number of those schools who will even look at your application is very small and some have not accepted intl. students for the last 5-6 years.

Second, if you get accepted, some will require that you put the tuition for all 4years in an escrow account before hand otherwise they will not issue the I-20. Some want to see the funds for the 1st year only, so if your parents are well off, you might get away with it by showing the money for tuition + living expenses.

Third, you may have to go the student loan route and I can count the number the banks who will lend money to intl. students on one hand, because most of those programs have been discontinued due to the bad economy. If you plan to apply with a US co-signer, you and your co-signer will have to have a stellar credit score and possibly collaterals because they are not in the mood to lend right now.

So, you will have to make some decisions about what you want to do. Try to have a backup plan such as applying for a PhD program. Most med schools have a PhD program and you can always have a great career with that. By the way the Phd programs are tuition free and you get a monthly stipend.:cool:

My cGPA is 3.4ish

It is going to be hard for you gain admission to any US schools with the GPA you mentioned, especially since you are an international student. My advice would be to take a few years off after you graduate with Chem E. degree and work in the industry. You can try to find a company that provides sponsorship. That may open up and opportunity for you to apply for permanent residency. Also by working you will gain some financial security.