MD & DO Can't afford to apply now. How can I boost my app for next cycle?

K9419

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2014
Hi,

I can't afford to apply right now and, for some relationship reasons, it's probably better if I wait a cycle anyway. I'm disappointed, but it is what is is. I'd like to take advantage of this opportunity to improve my application because I have to wait awhile anyway.

Where I stand as of today:
Science GPA: 3.40
Overall GPA: 3.65
515 MCAT
J-shaped grade trend due to some personal, now-resolved stuff my freshman and sophomore years)

Clinical volunteering:
7 years hospice volunteering
3 years child life volunteering

Non-clinical volunteering:
5 years rape crisis crisis hotline staffer and medical advocate (accompanied new survivors to the ED and arranged follow-up care)
3 years domestic violence shelter childcare volunteer
1 year sorting diaper donations by size at a diaper bank. (Parents donate sleeves of diapies when their little one outgrows a size before running through the whole big box. You know how babies and toddlers seem to grow overnight!)
2 years math tutor at a medium-security prison for boys 12-21

Research:
1 summer Child & Adolescent Psych clinical research
1 semester Psychology research
1 semester lit review with a Neuroscience professor

Shadowing:
60 hours shadowing across a variety of inpatient and outpatient specialties. No primary care though.

The below is my plan. Please tell me if you have any additional suggestions for things I can do!

1. I plan to take about 20 credits of science classes to help boost up the science GPA a tad. I have been an A student the past couple years and, if I am able to keep up my streak, I should be up to about 3.5 on the BCPM GPA. Still not ideal, but better.

2. Much of my volunteering is with children, so I plan to add on some food bank volunteering.
Please give me all of your suggestions on ways I can improve! :) Thanks!

Last edited:

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think your plan is solid, you have lots of fantastic activities for years now - very service oriented and I’d make sure to apply to schools that value that. Your MCAT is great and your overall GPA is okay - if you can get that sGPA up even higher then it’ll be a bit better. Otherwise do what you enjoy. If finances are an issue maybe you can look for a clinical job of some sort and save up some cash?

I do think you’re probably fine to apply this current cycle. Is there no way you can get the funds? Unfortunate that it’s such a high barrier to entry into the field.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Reach out to schools on your wish list and connect with student leaders (AMSA, SNMA, etc.) to get any insights on student support and opportunities as much as possible.

About the Ads
Nov 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi,

I can't afford to apply right now and, for some relationship reasons, it's probably better if I wait a cycle anyway. I'm disappointed, but it is what is is. I'd like to take advantage of this opportunity to improve my application because I have to wait awhile anyway.

Where I stand as of today:
Science GPA: 3.40
Overall GPA: 3.65
515 MCAT

Clinical volunteering:
7 years hospice volunteering
3 years child life volunteering

Non-clinical volunteering:
5 years rape crisis crisis hotline staffer and medical advocate (accompanied new survivors to the ED and arranged follow-up care)
3 years domestic violence shelter childcare volunteer
1 year sorting diaper donations by size at a diaper bank. (Parents donate sleeves of diapies when their little one outgrows a size before running through the whole big box. You know how babies and toddlers seem to grow overnight!)
2 years math tutor at a medium-security prison for boys 12-21

Research:
1 summer Child & Adolescent Psych clinical research
1 semester Psychology research
1 semester lit review with a Neuroscience professor

Shadowing:
60 hours shadowing across a variety of inpatient and outpatient specialties. No primary care though.

The below is my plan. Please tell me if you have any additional suggestions for things I can do!

1. I plan to take about 20 credits of science classes to help boost up the science GPA a tad. I have been an A student the past couple years and, if I am able to keep up my streak, I should be up to about 3.5 on the BCPM GPA. Still not ideal, but better.

2. Much of my volunteering is with children, so I plan to add on some food bank volunteering.
Please give me all of your suggestions on ways I can improve! :) Thanks!
Can you get the fee assistance program? If you get it you can apply to 20 schools for free and most drop the secondary cost.

K9419

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2014
I missed the FAP cutoff by $200, @Evilsilence , although I still really appreciate the suggestion. I also lost my job. :( I was able to find another one thankfully - it's something - but now I am underemployed (10 hours a week when I am usually full time).

I would certainly consider getting a clinical job especially because staying employed full time seems to be a problem since the pandemic hit and economy tanked. That is a fantastic idea, @Banco and I greatly appreciate your time and feedback!

I will see what I can do with the GPAs with some math on my end. I can pretty easily get the cGPA up to 3.7. My *hope* is that I can get the science GPA up to 3.6 but I'll have to look into that more. I think there's a good chance 3.5 is the best I can do given my 100 earned credits, but I'll look into it!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I missed the FAP cutoff by $200, @Evilsilence , although I still really appreciate the suggestion. I also lost my job. :( I was able to find another one thankfully - it's something - but now I am underemployed (10 hours a week when I am usually full time).

I would certainly consider getting a clinical job especially because staying employed full time seems to be a problem since the pandemic hit and economy tanked. That is a fantastic idea, @Banco and I greatly appreciate your time and feedback!

I will see what I can do with the GPAs with some math on my end. I can pretty easily get the cGPA up to 3.7. My *hope* is that I can get the science GPA up to 3.6 but I'll have to look into that more. I think there's a good chance 3.5 is the best I can do given my 100 earned credits, but I'll look into it!
I don't super know how FAP works, but could you reapply for FAP now that you have lost your job? or apply to a couple, but not all schools on your list?

K9419

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2014
I don't super know how FAP works, but could you reapply for FAP now that you have lost your job? or apply to a couple, but not all schools on your list?

Thank you! I like your name too. Cows are my second favorite farm animal (behind goats). :)

Unfortunately, FAP eligibility is based off parental income regardless of age (I'm older - late 20s!) and independent FAFSA and tax filing status. I have a very low EFC right now for school because I'm over 24 and able to file the FAFSA based on my own income. I thought I would be a slam dunk for FAP eligibility until I learned it was parental income. My mama is just over the limit by $200. I'm way under based on my own income.

It could definitely work to reduce my school list, although I guess the con of that is a higher risk of being a reapplicant. I'll sleep on it.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.