can't be a pharmacist if getting a "B" in chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icantswallow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. i've recently just started having an interest in pharmacy. but what has been holding me back is that i have not always been really good at science. i have to do a lot of studying before i get the concept. i also am not really good at chemistry...based on my previous high school experience. but I read an interview by a pharmacist on getting into the career, he said that if you are not making A's in chemistry, you should not be become a pharmacist. for me, if i get a B in chemistry I would be soo happy. What do you guys think about his theory?

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be rude or anything but what kind of pharm is he/she? In my high school, I remember getting back my first couple of tests with a F or a D! High school chemistry is supposed to be easy but even then I just didn't get it. My first college chemistry class I got a C+ and after that I tried so hard to get Bz. However, when I came to organic chemistry I got an A even though it is suppose to be the hardest of them all. Don't give up just because you can't do one course. Keep trying and if you truly like this profession you will eventually get it. Being a pharmacist is not ALL about being good in Chemistry.

I got a C.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, thanks guys. it was from one of those career websites where they interview people in the career. although i didn't do too well in hs chem, i am eager to try it again.

It really depends on your functional knowledge of chemistry. In a PharmD program, you will be using chemistry, at some schools more than others. Some people retain as much functional knowledge from a C+ as some do from an A-. The key is whether or not what you remember from undergrad is a good enough foundation for the medicinal chemistry in pharmacy school. If you learn alot after the tests are done with and get C's, maybe you are okay. If you get A's and can't remember anything from the courses, maybe you won't be.

I think my high school GPA was under 2.0 my senior year and marginally better than that throughout. I got Ds in Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus. Sure I understood the concepts, I just didn't care enough to actually memorize a bunch of crap I wasn't sure I ever needed to actually know.

But for you...who cares....it's high school. The only people that should care about grades are the *****s who've bought into the whole "going to a good college is the only way to be successful" crap. If you want to get into pharmacy school or enter any other type of school that requires college prerequisites, you can dick off in high school as much as you want. Oh, you got a B in Chemistry...big whoop. That just means you have been exposed to it and you will be more likely to get an "A" when you take it and it counts in college.

But that's just my opinion and my opinion is typically frowned upon.

I got an A in my General Chem I class....all chemistry classes after that have been solid B's. Oh well.... I guess I am doing something right. Out of 5 schools I have applied to, I have had 4 interveiws, and am on 3 alternate lists. I know it's not an acceptance, but I have had to do something right in order to get interviews, right? So no, if you don't get an A in chemistry, it definately does NOT mean you should not be a pharmacist.

haha.. how is this for a laugh. when i started college, i took chem and bio courses and ended up with a sci 1.7 gpa for all 3 or 4 classes.
of course i didnt work hard that time, it was freshman year and i was really slacking. but highschool chem and college chem are quite different, not only in the material but also the way the material is taught. when i retook the classes, i didnt do so hot in general chem (Bs), but then i rocked in organic chem ebcause it was more interesting. and also, i worked harder than i ever did in my 4 years in college. so dont judge your potential in pharmacy based on a few classes. take it all and see how you fare.
just to let you know, some people (like me) did better in o-chem than g-chem or vice versa. ohh btw, even with the 1.7 in the beginning, i pulled my sci gpa from 1.7 to 3.3 in the end, but i applied when it was only 3.15 and i was interviewed for 6 schools (declined 1) and got accepted to 3 schools.

dont worry, i bet 80 percent of the students going to pharmacy school worked really really hard to get there. only a few are just gifted with the knack for science. so just work hard and join us in pharm school. good luck

Trust me not everyone gets into pharmacy school with straight As in chemistry. I can attest personally to not having all As and so can my fiancee that has been accepted along with a ton of people on this website.

I don't know who the pharmacist that said such an outragous claim is, but that is a bit arrogent sounding instead of trying to be helpful and encouraging.

I'm entering pharmacy in a situation like yours where I have Cs in biology....

...but that pharmacist would doubt my ability to be an effective pharmacist either if I have trouble with basic anatomy and microbiology.

Here's the thing, you can get into pharmacy school with Cs in gen chem if you do well in the other subjects. Once you start pharmacy school, your undergraduate performance no longer matters. Of course, you want to retain as much as possible, but having a 4.0 in college means squat if you don't comprehend the different pharmacy curriculum. It's a clean slate when you get to pharmacy school, and the stuff you learned in undergrad is only there as foundation knowledge.