1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't beleive that my prof said that?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by exigente chica, Oct 29, 2002.

1. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

x

#1 exigente chica, Oct 29, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoubleDoctor

DoubleDoctor Ceder Dog's Daddy
    7+ Year Member

I think that sometimes profs say stuff like that because they are just As*holes but other times I think that they are trying to tick you off so that you try harder. I can only speak for myself, but when someone tells me that I won't be able to do something I just get more resolved that I will prove them wrong.

4. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ec,

I met a LOT of discouragement when I began to tell people I was considering applying MD/PhD. Probably more negative feedback than positive feedback. However, I took it all with a grain of salt, and found more worth in the few positive pieces of advice I received.

The bottom line is, YOU know what you want and YOU know what you are capable of much more so than any one professor you have. Although it is always good to collect feedback and differing opinions, it's not always good to give them too much weight. If MSTP is what you want to do, please do not give up and be discouraged. MSTP applicants are often very self selecting because know (or have a good idea) whether or not they can cut it and whether or not it is what they really want. If it is your goal, stick with it, and look at this as an opportunity to show pessimists that they were wrong about you and that you will succeed! You'll do great. Good luck!

5. isidella

7+ Year Member

Not a chance! My genetics prof had a similar attitude problem. I figured out his MSTP phobia though. He had the delima of choosing PhD or MD when he was young, like most people in his generation. Because he is not an MD, he takes the sour grapes approach and likes to doctor bash. He discourages his students from "selling out" and going to med school. He especially hates MD/PhDs for doing both, (probably one of my subconscious reasons for pursuing it). He took great pleasure in flunking me for missing the his final exam when my mom died (his words when I handed him her obituary: "You are first-and foremost a student. I don't care about your personal problems.") Luckily, the dean removed the "F" and replaced it with a more appropriate grade. :D FU dillon!!

Your prof is just a hater, that's all. Prove her wrong, make it one of your goals to do so. Good luck.

6. jot

jot

sheeeit.

7. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

x

#6 exigente chica, Oct 29, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  8. surge

surge Medicinski Znanstvenik
    10+ Year Member

ec,

She may or may be not right - the bottom line is, at the end of the day, it is utterly irrelevant what SHE thinks (unles she's writing you a LOR :D ). The only thing that matters is what the MSTP committee feels - and the only way to find out is to apply. Don't ever give pathetic individuals the pleasure of stepping in the way of your dreams.
    I know that it hurt, but just remember that the only reason she said that is because she doesn't know you as a whole, well rounded person and future scientist. Believe me, if my attitude towards physics was any indicator of my interest and promise as a scientist, I'd already be flippin' burgers...

Good luck. S.

9. lumanyika

lumanyika Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey isidella,
    do you guys have a "teacher evaluation" deal at the end of the semester? if you do,.....I'd like to know what you wrote if it's ok with you.:D

To the original poster; I'd like to see the look on your proff's face when you attain you MSTP/MD-PhD. that'd be a true kodak moment:laugh:

10. isidella

7+ Year Member

There are no prof evals for those with tenure, so I did not have the pleasure. I did drop a line to the dept chair who expressed his frustration with the prof. for basically being a rotten bastard. Everyone hates him, but noone can fire him for being a rude ass.

So EC, can we get some follow up with your physics prof? How are you doin'? Better, I hope. :love:

11. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

I've been studyin all nite and week long for my quiz today. I was in her office for like 3 hours yesterday and the first one this morning at 8am. I think I did ok. Keep ur fingers crossed for me, thanx for caring everyone:love: