Can't choose #1 - HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyBlueMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in going into Allergy & Immunolgy and I cannot decide between the following IM programs.
Olive View (aka San Fernando Valley-UCLA) vs Scripps Green

I know that they are two very different programs however, I find them both appealing. What I want to know is that which one would make me a more competitive applicant for A&I fellowships?

If anyone is familiar with these two programs and knows what their reputation is in the academic world, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
MD to BE

Members don't see this ad.

how about some place with an allergy fellowship. i don't think olive view or scripps has one in place so it is really a wash. oliveview does have that ucla affiliation so it might be easier to get involved in some a & i research during residency. research is pretty much key to landing a competitive residency. good luck.

LadyBlueMD said:
I am interested in going into Allergy & Immunolgy and I cannot decide between the following IM programs.

I know that they are two very different programs however, I find them both appealing. What I want to know is that which one would make me a more competitive applicant for A&I fellowships?

If anyone is familiar with these two programs and knows what their reputation is in the academic world, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
MD to BE

Sounds like you're interested in SoCal programs. What about programs inbetween SD and LA? I was interested in UCI for this one reason. I heard that they take their own residents for fellowship and they actually offer Allergy. Or, how about USC? :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice. I already know that I need research experience to get any fellowship, hence one of my reasons for confusion. OVH has UCLA ties while Scripps-Green has the Scripps Research Institute. So if I get a publication at either one I think it would look good on my CV.

Scripps Green also has A&I fellowship, however when I spoke to the PD there, he mentioned that the A&I department gives no preference to their own residents. One yr they actually chose an outside resident over their own.

As far as UCI goes, I did a rotation there and was not impressed with their program at all.

USC is on my rank list but not as my number one choice.
Out of curiosty I would like to know how anyone would rank the following programs
San Fernando Valley-UCLA, Scripps Green, Huntington, Cottage, USC, Kaiser Santa Clara, Kaiser SF, Santa Clara Valley, St Mary's Long Beach

Thanks Again

LadyBlueMD said:

Thanks
MD to BE

My residency program has an A & I fellowship. They just gave a position to one of our R2's. I don't know if you interviewed there or not.

the top program in your list is Olive View. my adivsor from UCSF states that OV is increasing in reputation. clinical training is great and PD very pro-resident. the ucla name certainly helps. scripps should be a distant second. the case load may not be as extensive as OV. if they can;t take care of their residents for their own fellowships, it bodes poorly about their level of resident support. enough said and good luck.

LadyBlue, why did you not like UCI? I am strongly considering ranking it near the top of my list. thanks in advance.

I've been under the impression that Scripps does take their own, at least with the other competitive subspecialties. I think OV has the better clinical experience. Bottom line is that you'll still need to do research during residency, whether at UCLA or Scripps in A/I, so pick the clinical environment which feels right.