Huskie14

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone else had a terribly difficult time managing to sit down and put in productive studying hours? I feel as though my study sessions are unproductive and I am making little progress. I have tried studying at home, work, and the library, nothing seems to help. I have already graduated college and never had a problem putting in solid 5-6 hr sessions. Now I get home from work and can't seem to get 1 hr of productivity. I have all of the Kaplan online materials, have done the content reviews and am at the point where I am just taking full-lengths. I think the problem is I do not know what I should be doing the days I am not taking full-lengths and I get overwhelmed with all of the material. I would really appreciate some advice, thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone else had a terribly difficult time managing to sit down and put in productive studying hours? I feel as though my study sessions are unproductive and I am making little progress. I have tried studying at home, work, and the library, nothing seems to help. I have already graduated college and never had a problem putting in solid 5-6 hr sessions. Now I get home from work and can't seem to get 1 hr of productivity. I have all of the Kaplan online materials, have done the content reviews and am at the point where I am just taking full-lengths. I think the problem is I do not know what I should be doing the days I am not taking full-lengths and I get overwhelmed with all of the material. I would really appreciate some advice, thanks in advance.
I can totally empathize with you about coming back from work and not feeling like picking up a pencil. Do you have a group of friends/peers that you can study with? Try to relate the stuff you're reading about to real life things..lame but sometimes it works to enhance the learning experience.

Moose A Moose

7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
I feel you. I pull forty a week and have to put in after-hour sessions. Work runs you down, and a lot of the time if you try and take a nap, you wake up just not wanting anything but to close your eyes again. What works for me is getting into a schedule.. go every day/every other day and put in three hours. It adds up in the end.

Silverfalcon

Do It
Oct 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
1) Are you eating well? If not, focus on getting a lot of carbs and vitamins.
2) Are you exercising? If not, try to do it to get your body moving and increase concentration.
3) Do you just feel too tired to do anything? Then, take a break for about 15-25 min when you get home and do nothing. I mean, just sit somewhere and do nothing. And when you have rested a little bit, pick up MCAT book and study.

It sounds like you are just too tired to concentrate, and that's natural for human being. We can't work work work like robots.

Jan 18, 2010
Status
Medical Student
wow I just created another thread just like yours! Didn't see yours! I am not working right now but I just have hard time looking at ochem and physics over and over again

Vanguard23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I am having the same problems and am also post grad. I used to not have problems with studying for 5-6hrs at a time. Now it's like I'm restless with ADD on overdrive. It's really weird. Or I have to hop from one study location to another, with studying for maybe an hour at each.

dohlo

7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2010
SoCal
Status
Medical Student
First of all, it has helped me to realize that you can't be ON all the time. sometimes you are going to have a hard time focusing, sometimes you are going to be in the zone. I work 40+ hours a week, and study on top of that. The things that helped me most are:

1) Location. I go to the library, but mostly to borders/starbucks/ barnes and noble. It helps me a lot when I see other people sitting down and reading or studying also to remind me that I'm not alone toiling away with my nose in the books.

2) Schedule/routine. There are certain hours of my day where I allow myself to do nothing but study. Lost is on? catch it on hulu later. Lakers game? highlights tomorrow. Every day at this hour you can find me studying. If you take away the thought that you could be somewhere else, doing something more fun, focus will come. You might sit there for a couple days and get 0 done, but soon your mind will be set that its time for studying at X o'clock

3) Small Goals. Instead of looking at your whole Bio Book and thinking, man how am I ever going to get through all of this. Tell yourself that in the next half hour, you want to get to page X or answer X amount of practice problems. Its much easier to sit still for a half hour than it is for 6 hours. at the end of the half hour, get up, breathe, crack your knuckles, make a little eye contact with the cute girl across the room, and then sit back down and set some more goals.

4) COFFEE. So i feel that there are enough hours in the day to accomplish 3 things. Work, study and sleep. If I don't work, i don't eat. And the MCAT is really important, so sleep loses. luckily there are drugs out there that can help with this.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Reactions: namesthegame21