can't decide b/w drexel and nymc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finallyin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got accepted at NYMC recently and drexel as well. I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light as to which of the two would be better. I am having a tough time differentiating between them because they are very similar in every aspect as I see it. Has anyone interviewed at both schools? If so, I would really like to hear from you. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in this as well. I'm trying to decide between Penn St., NYMC, and Drexel....leaning towards NYMC. But not sure yet.

bbtbay said:
I'm interested in this as well. I'm trying to decide between Penn St., NYMC, and Drexel....leaning towards NYMC. But not sure yet.

mmm DREXEL ALL THE WAY!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please post reasons or pros/cons of either school? I'll start the comparison... Drexel is slightly more expensive than NYMC, however the difference is not really significant. The settings of the two are very similar, both are in suburbs. Both campuses have modern facilities and utilize technology to a good degree. Drexel offers two options for their curriculum, PBL and lecture-based, but I am wondering if that hurts the student body. In terms of research, I think NYMC has a slight edge over drexel. Any thoughts?

nymc is close to nyc. 'nuff said.

Which school is closer to you? Which school impressed you more when you visited?

I've heard things about NYMC which I will not post in an effort not to propagate anything that may be false. I would choose Drexel. Although, I don't know much about either of those institutions.

Choose NYMC because I haven't heard a peep from them and I'm waitlisted at Drexel. ;) I'm just kidding. I haven't been to NYMC so I'm obviously biased here, but I loved Drexel and everyone there seemed really happy.

nbanoonoo said:
mmm DREXEL ALL THE WAY!!

who the heck are you? why are you starting threads which violates the rules? What did i ever do to you? i don't even know who you are; and I have hardly been around in 4 days.

Psycho Doctor said:
who the heck are you? why are you starting threads which violates the rules? What did i ever do to you? i don't even know who you are; and I have hardly been around in 4 days.

:laugh: :laugh:

finallyin said:
So I got accepted at NYMC recently and drexel as well. I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light as to which of the two would be better. I am having a tough time differentiating between them because they are very similar in every aspect as I see it. Has anyone interviewed at both schools? If so, I would really like to hear from you. Thanks!
sorry, can't fairly answer since i did not see Drexel, but I really liked NYMC. I presume you saw both; which felt more "right" to you when you were there? It's really an individual preference between the two.

Blue Scrub said:
:D couldn't comment on the other one since it was already closed http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=186379 and I saw the OP of that thread only made a total of 4 posts, this thread being one of them. His title didn't even make sense of what he was trying to say...and obviously he is a troll who wants to be banned.

I interviewed at Drexel and NYMC. I would definitely pick NYMC. Drexel's only strong point is the technology. NYMC has great clinical experience and a hospital right on campus which is newly remodeled. I personally hated my experience at Drexel. It definitely wasn't what I thought it would be. The best thing to do is to go for a second visit and make your decision then.

Anyone know how many people interviewed and were accepted at NYMC last year or the year before? Any idea how many acceptances have been given out so far?

I'm a first year student at New York Med, and I can say that thus far, my experience here has been great. Classes are very organized, and we have a great scribe service that basically allows you to skip any classes you want without being screwed over come exam time, since the scribes follow the professors' lectures word by word. The administration is quite helpful and receptive to student needs, and professors are very accessible to students and student concerns. Our MEC building is brand new and awesome, and thats where you will be spending most of your time. Our library is nice and has ample study space, unlike many of the other crappy libraries I experienced when I was interviewing last year. Most first and second year students live on campus, either in Grasslands I or Grasslands II, and the cool thing is that they dont make you move out after your first year (which would prove to be quite the dick move for all the Californians) and they allow you to keep your same room for second year. The first year-class is pretty tight knit, and tend to organize many outings and events as a whole group. Although Valhalla leaves much to be desired in terms of things to do, most students have two options when it comes to night-life, one being what's referred to as "local," which involves White Plains and the surrounding areas, equipped with many bars, pubs, and restaurants to suit a wide variety of tastes and fancies, and "city," which well, needs no introduction. Our campus is georgeous in the summer-time, but can be a negative if you have bad allergies to pollen or ragweed, and the winter can be quite brutal, with snow sometimes as frequent as tri-weekly. If you're from California though, you will spend many of the winter months obsessing with the snow, to an extent that it will most probably interfere with your studies. The school has many and i mean MANY opportunites for its students to be involved with prjects at Westchester Medical Center, seeing as this is the only Level I trauma center that serves the entire Hudson Valley and regions north, in other words, its one kick-ass hospital, nothing that i think Drexel can even come close to. In fact, Bill Clinton initially came to West Med, and was about to have his surgery here, until he was referred to Columbia Prebyterian by one of our surgeons. In our first-year, we are able to do things such as scrub in on liver transplants or volunteer in the ER, if we like. Research opportunites here are ample, and our deans are very helpful in that they send out a 50 page booklet that lists all of the research projects in progress at either the college or the hospital, and will even pay students to do summer research. Furthermore, most students opt to spend only their first 2 years in Westchester, and then move to NYC for their 3rd and 4th years, seeing as we have St. Vincent's and Metropolitan Med, as our teachin affiliates. If moving to NYC after 2 years doesnt sell you, I don't know what will. Well i can go on and on, but i think i've given a good enough picture of our school.

I liked NYMC more than I liked Drexel.

NYMC

pros: love the area (i went to school in ugly baltimore, so i fell in love with the campus), on campus dorms for students, students do well on the boards, it's in NY, anantomy lab on the top floor (yay! sunlight!)
cons: students seemed really stressed

Drexel

pros: love the PIL track, love the focus on women's health
cons: no on campus housing, the campus consists of ONE building, the library is non-existent, people weren't as friendly as other places, have to take a shuttle to the hospital

Columbia22 said:
I'm a first year student at New York Med, and I can say that thus far, my experience here has been great. Classes are very organized, and we have a great scribe service that basically allows you to skip any classes you want without being screwed over come exam time, since the scribes follow the professors' lectures word by word. The administration is quite helpful and receptive to student needs, and professors are very accessible to students and student concerns. Our MEC building is brand new and awesome, and thats where you will be spending most of your time. Our library is nice and has ample study space, unlike many of the other crappy libraries I experienced when I was interviewing last year. Most first and second year students live on campus, either in Grasslands I or Grasslands II, and the cool thing is that they dont make you move out after your first year (which would prove to be quite the dick move for all the Californians) and they allow you to keep your same room for second year. The first year-class is pretty tight knit, and tend to organize many outings and events as a whole group. Although Valhalla leaves much to be desired in terms of things to do, most students have two options when it comes to night-life, one being what's referred to as "local," which involves White Plains and the surrounding areas, equipped with many bars, pubs, and restaurants to suit a wide variety of tastes and fancies, and "city," which well, needs no introduction. Our campus is georgeous in the summer-time, but can be a negative if you have bad allergies to pollen or ragweed, and the winter can be quite brutal, with snow sometimes as frequent as tri-weekly. If you're from California though, you will spend many of the winter months obsessing with the snow, to an extent that it will most probably interfere with your studies. The school has many and i mean MANY opportunites for its students to be involved with prjects at Westchester Medical Center, seeing as this is the only Level I trauma center that serves the entire Hudson Valley and regions north, in other words, its one kick-ass hospital, nothing that i think Drexel can even come close to. In fact, Bill Clinton initially came to West Med, and was about to have his surgery here, until he was referred to Columbia Prebyterian by one of our surgeons. In our first-year, we are able to do things such as scrub in on liver transplants or volunteer in the ER, if we like. Research opportunites here are ample, and our deans are very helpful in that they send out a 50 page booklet that lists all of the research projects in progress at either the college or the hospital, and will even pay students to do summer research. Furthermore, most students opt to spend only their first 2 years in Westchester, and then move to NYC for their 3rd and 4th years, seeing as we have St. Vincent's and Metropolitan Med, as our teachin affiliates. If moving to NYC after 2 years doesnt sell you, I don't know what will. Well i can go on and on, but i think i've given a good enough picture of our school.
It's great to hear from someone who goes to NYMC. I am very sick of hearing people bad mouth NYMC considering they don;t know much about the school and have probably never been to it. To the OP....I've never been to drexel so couldn't give a fair answer but I did like NYMC. Tinkerbelle has great reasons listed; as does columbia22.

eag said:
I interviewed at Drexel and NYMC. I would definitely pick NYMC. Drexel's only strong point is the technology. NYMC has great clinical experience and a hospital right on campus which is newly remodeled. I personally hated my experience at Drexel. It definitely wasn't what I thought it would be. The best thing to do is to go for a second visit and make your decision then.

I would guess Drexel's clinical training is good as well, being that the school is located nearby downtown philly...tons of hospitals and poor population around many parts of the city

Wow, you really like comparing med schools. First Drexel to Temple, now Drexel to NYMC. Does this mean Drexel won round 1? You should really just go to the school where you feel more comfortable.

Personally, I don't like the idea of living in a dorm after I had lived on my own in Philly for 3 years. I like having multiple libraries (queen lane campus, hahnemann campus, moore library at women's medical hospital (formerly MCP), drexel main campus, van pelt at penn, houston hall at penn) and the many coffee shops in philly. I like playing intramural sports at Drexel. I like people watching as I run on Kelly Drive. If you like cities, then you can live in Center City during your 1st and 2nd years.

I think a very big difference is the subtle overtone of a Catholic based med school (NYMC) vs a very liberal med school (Drexel). That is not to suggest Drexel doesn't have a very big and strong Christian Medical Society if that's what you're in to. I'm merely saying that I don't think NYMC will have many lectures specifically dealing with homosexual issues and abortion issues.

The reality is that both schools will provide you with the tools to learn the material that will be tested on step 1. No matter which med school you go to, you will be using supplemental books (Board Review Series, PreTest, Lippincott, Rediculously Simple....) to help you study. Again, go where you like, and not where other people tell you that they liked.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was only comparing these schools because I couldn't get a feel for which school I liked more. Each school had its pros/cons and in the end, didn't seem to edge out the other. In any case, I appreciate all the feedback and I have definitely taken note of some of the points brought up in this thread. Good luck to everyone!