Can't Decide between DO and MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elfman5150

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone, I know this might seem a bit like a ridiculous question, but it's truly been bothering me quite a bit. I have had 2 interviews so far (with several more in the works over the next few months), and they are all spread between D.O. and M.D. programs. I have already been accepted to VCOM on the D.O. side, and it looks like I have a good shot at VCU after nailing my interview a couple of weeks ago (the interviewer told me I have nothing to worry about, and he'll advocate for me - definitely a good feeling). I received a follow up email confirming that I was on the 'good' hold list after my interview, meaning that when they send out invitations there's a good shot I'll get one. I don't want to be overconfident though....

So if I happen to get accepted into VCU for M.D., or other DO and MD schools over the next months, do you all think that there is a better decision? I mean, it seems that the stigma attached to DO doesn't really exist anymore; I even noticed that last year VCOM had a higher match rate (for preferred choice) for their graduates than VCU did. I am honestly interested in osteopathic manipulation, but if there is any chance that I might be more limited if I choose DO, then I feel like I should go the MD route. I know this question has been asked numerous times, but I think that each year the times are changing more and more, and the overlap is becoming much more apparent between the two schools.

Thanks for any advice. And if possible, do any of you have a good method for ranking schools on your list? Something like:
1.) Residency Match
2.) Cost
3.) Location
4.) Class size.......etc.

Thanks again, and best of luck to everyone! When I got my call from VCOM yesterday saying I was accepted, it was a like a weight being lifting off my shoulders.

Members don't see this ad.

Go MD unless you're really into OMM. You will be more limited in your potions as a DO and certain doors will be closed to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I would take any consideration of match statistics out of your decision-making process, mainly because schools tend to manipulate statistics in whatever way makes them look best.

How many students got their "preferred" choice sounds like a good metric, but you have to get an interview at a program in order to rank it (i.e. make it your "preferred" choice).

So it's quite possible that VCU students had more of the high-end interviews and just didn't match there as often. While the VCOM students may not have gotten those interviews at all. Of course this is all speculation, but you see how it can be confusing.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you get in to VCU you should definitely go there. VCU is 10K cheaper. Why would you pay more to go to a DO school and immediately limit your options, plus live in a middle of nowhere as opposed to living near Richmond and closer to DC.?

Re: Osteo manipulation. Check out the thread "OMM Blues" on the Osteopathic forum to really get a good perspective how many DO students view Osteo manipulation.

Reactions: 3 users
If you get in to VCU you should definitely go there. VCU is 10K cheaper. Why would you pay more to go to a DO school and immediately limit your options, plus live in a middle of nowhere as opposed to living near Richmond and closer to DC.?

Re: Osteo manipulation. Check out the thread "OMM Blues" on the Osteopathic forum to really get a good perspective how many DO students view Osteo manipulation.
The ones who don't like it are typically the ones that wanted to go MD from the beginning with DO as a backup. The people who wanted the OMM training as a part of their medical education seem to like it. Personally, I think there are a few good techniques and a few that likely don't work, but the ones that do work can be quite effective and I'm glad to have them in my toolkit. That being said, MDs are free to learn OMM post-residency at a DO school of they'd like- we have a couple MDs at my school that are learning OMM. So go MD, and if you're really dying to learn OMM after the fact, do so.

Reactions: 1 users
The ones who don't like it are typically the ones that wanted to go MD from the beginning with DO as a backup. The people who wanted the OMM training as a part of their medical education seem to like it. Personally, I think there are a few good techniques and a few that likely don't work, but the ones that do work can be quite effective and I'm glad to have them in my toolkit. That being said, MDs are free to learn OMM post-residency at a DO school of they'd like- we have a couple MDs at my school that are learning OMM. So go MD, and if you're really dying to learn OMM after the fact, do so.

Yea, this was actually what I was hoping for. I am interested in learning OMM because I do believe it can be useful in certain situations; I've had family members swear that it has helped them, especially with migraines and with sinus problems. From my interview/tour experiences at both schools, it seems that VCOM was a more tight-knit community which I liked. I'm sure that VCU is as well, but it really came through with the students at VCOM. Perhaps there really is a bit of a different mentality with DO students vs. MD which I tend to identify with. I don't know. I'm sure everyone here is correct in saying that MD would OVERALL be a better choice, and heck, if I want to learn OMM I'll find a way to.

Thanks for all of your input.

I would consider cost as a primary determining factor. If VCU is 10k cheaper (which is a lot), then absolutely go there.

Yea, this was actually what I was hoping for. I am interested in learning OMM because I do believe it can be useful in certain situations; I've had family members swear that it has helped them, especially with migraines and with sinus problems. From my interview/tour experiences at both schools, it seems that VCOM was a more tight-knit community which I liked. I'm sure that VCU is as well, but it really came through with the students at VCOM. Perhaps there really is a bit of a different mentality with DO students vs. MD which I tend to identify with. I don't know. I'm sure everyone here is correct in saying that MD would OVERALL be a better choice, and heck, if I want to learn OMM I'll find a way to.

Thanks for all of your input.

I think there is more to a school then the degree they offer. Both VCOM and VCU are good schools. If you are interested in research or something probably better to go allo. Location and cost are also two huge factors. If you like OMM and want DO I would suggest an OPP fellowship. Some schools will give you free tuition for two years for one year fellowship. And you will actually be proficient in OPP. DO schools can't devote enough hours to learn OMM. Using it clinically really requires an OPP fellowships which could be a good route if that is something you are interested in.

Man, I interviewed at VCU a few weeks ago, and it was amazing! I dunno about VCOM, but I really liked VCU's curriculum and the whole student atmosphere. The new med school building.....drool

Reactions: 1 user
Man, I interviewed at VCU a few weeks ago, and it was amazing! I dunno about VCOM, but I really liked VCU's curriculum and the whole student atmosphere. The new med school building.....drool

Oh yea, that building was beautiful! I wonder if we were at the same interview....

VCU is about $55k while vcom is $74k. Vcom lost me with mandatory attendance, cost, assigned seating, and a business casual dress code. The environment felt too controlled.

Reactions: 4 users
VCU is about $55k while vcom is $74k. Vcom lost me with mandatory attendance, cost, assigned seating, and a business casual dress code. The environment felt too controlled.
Wow, and I thought LECOM was bad. At least they're cheap and you can sit where you want...

VCU all the way.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lecom has alphabetical seating (i.e. assigned). You can sit wherever your heart desires at vcom.

It's irrelevant, though- VCU 100%.

No it's definitely assigned seating after you pick where you sit initially. After that they take a picture of the lecture hall to make sure you are sitting in the same seat for the sake of attendance.

So the students, director of admissions, and faculty that I spoke with at the interview, of which I specifically asked about this, all lied to me then?? Right..

It's mandatory attendance with $20K increase in the COA. Whether it's mandatory seating as well seems a bit irrelevant in the decision making for most folks. Both seem like dealbreakers for me if I have the option. 'Course I'm not the OP so they'll have to make that choice for themselves.

So the students, director of admissions, and faculty that I spoke with at the interview, of which I specifically asked about this, all lied to me then?? Right..

No need to be patronizing. We obviously were informed of different things. I am at work sitting opposite a VCOM resident and he is also telling me once you pick your initial seat, that's yours for the remainder of the class.

If you can get into both, I would definitely go MD even if all the factors were reverse and it were more the expensive school, the location was worse etc.

Yes, the stigma is decreasing, but it still there. I was working with a DO on my family medicine rotation when a patient he was seeing for a same-day appointment demanded to see "a real doctor." The stigma is there, especially among the older generation.

You also don't know what you're going to fall in love in medical school. While it's pretty easy to go into primary care with a DO degree, you may end up falling in love with surgery, for example, and then it will be much harder to match and get fellowships later on with a DO degree than with an MD degrees.

You have your whole career in front of you. The last thing you want to do is close off doors unnecessarily. Go with the degree that is going to give you the most options and the most flexibility in the long-run. An MD can do everything a DO can do. A DO may struggle to find the same opportunities an MD will have.

Ok everyone, I know this might seem a bit like a ridiculous question, but it's truly been bothering me quite a bit. I have had 2 interviews so far (with several more in the works over the next few months), and they are all spread between D.O. and M.D. programs. I have already been accepted to VCOM on the D.O. side, and it looks like I have a good shot at VCU after nailing my interview a couple of weeks ago (the interviewer told me I have nothing to worry about, and he'll advocate for me - definitely a good feeling). I received a follow up email confirming that I was on the 'good' hold list after my interview, meaning that when they send out invitations there's a good shot I'll get one. I don't want to be overconfident though....

So if I happen to get accepted into VCU for M.D., or other DO and MD schools over the next months, do you all think that there is a better decision? I mean, it seems that the stigma attached to DO doesn't really exist anymore; I even noticed that last year VCOM had a higher match rate (for preferred choice) for their graduates than VCU did. I am honestly interested in osteopathic manipulation, but if there is any chance that I might be more limited if I choose DO, then I feel like I should go the MD route. I know this question has been asked numerous times, but I think that each year the times are changing more and more, and the overlap is becoming much more apparent between the two schools.

Thanks for any advice. And if possible, do any of you have a good method for ranking schools on your list? Something like:
1.) Residency Match
2.) Cost
3.) Location
4.) Class size.......etc.

Thanks again, and best of luck to everyone! When I got my call from VCOM yesterday saying I was accepted, it was a like a weight being lifting off my shoulders.

Just wait till you apply for residency. There are still programs that refuse to take DOs.

In addition, having a higher preferred match rate means nothing besides the fact that most VCOM applicants probably decided to apply to primary care programs in less competitive locations. You will absolutely have an easier time matching from VCU.

Also this.

Another thing to think about - if you go DO and are planning on applying to an MD residency you will have to sit the boards twice.

I complain about assigned seating, but really, at UNECOM we've got assigned seating with our CBL groups. Which really isn't that bad, they're like family to me at this point. But lecture also isn't mandatory, so if you couldn't stand your CBL group or something, you could stay home I guess.

Pending acceptance, there's no reason other than a personal one to choose VCOM over VCU.

Wow, and I thought LECOM was bad. At least they're cheap and you can sit where you want...

VCU all the way.
Yeah, people complain about LECOM not treating them like adults, and I can see why. Why would they need assigned seating, along with mandatory attendance? Come on!

Yeah, people complain about LECOM not treating them like adults, and I can see why. Why would they need assigned seating, along with mandatory attendance? Come on!
There's literally no reason for it. It's like grooming physicians to be spineless employees that take orders and do what they're told- the last thing we need with political climates the way they are, both on the NP front and on the ACA side of things.

I haven't use this one in a while.
Porque-no-las-dos-o.gif

Okay, back to bed.

There's literally no reason for it. It's like grooming physicians to be spineless employees that take orders and do what they're told- the last thing we need with political climates the way they are, both on the NP front and on the ACA side of things.
That's an interesting take. Speaking of the NP and ACA issues, I feel like Osteopathic medicine being less well known gives DOs a reason to do good PR and put themselves and their interests out there and I think - looking at the AOA site and those of various schools - many are trying to take advantage of that opportunity. The more DOs who get involved with advocacy for the degree, the more the interests of physicians at large may be progressed both against the nursing lobby and regulatory clout. That's actually an attractive feature of DO; their self promotion.

:eek::eek::eek:

This should be the end of the discussion

Just wait till you apply for residency. There are still programs that refuse to take DOs.

In addition, having a higher preferred match rate means nothing besides the fact that most VCOM applicants probably decided to apply to primary care programs in less competitive locations. You will absolutely have an easier time matching from VCU.

There's a reason the AAMC moved to make schools stop reporting "preferred match" rates or "% of graduates getting their top match" or other similar statistics over a decade ago.

It created a competitive environment where schools would attempt to manipulate these statistics in their favor (i.e. giving students bad match advice like ranking a safety program in their top 3).

Never take DO if you can get MD

OK so it's a unanimous "choose MD" if I get into VCU/other MD programs.
Thanks for the responses.