Can't decide between two classes for this fall.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intricateliar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this fall I will be a sophomore and I basically have my schedule set, except I am having trouble deciding between two classes. My original plan was to take o chem I, physics I (with lab), general bio (with lab), anthropology of the middle east (it is an upper division and writing intensive) and a two credit seminar course for pre med students. Looking at it, I felt like I would be very overwhelmed because in the past I have taken many difficult classes at the same time and the results weren't too great. I am trying to decide if I should take bio or anthro. Since I will be dropping one of them, I'm going to take a 2 credit medical terminology class.

I am really having a hard time on deciding between bio and anthro. The last time I took a bio class was in 10th grade so I honestly can't say how well I'd do. I feel like 3 science classes might be too much and I really can't afford to do bad. I used to think I was good at chemistry, but after two C- s in gen chem I feel like I should give myself some breathing room for o chem.

tl;dr can't decide between taking general bio or anthropology.

Members don't see this ad.

So this fall I will be a sophomore and I basically have my schedule set, except I am having trouble deciding between two classes. My original plan was to take o chem I, physics I (with lab), general bio (with lab), anthropology of the middle east (it is an upper division and writing intensive) and a two credit seminar course for pre med students. Looking at it, I felt like I would be very overwhelmed because in the past I have taken many difficult classes at the same time and the results weren't too great. I am trying to decide if I should take bio or anthro. Since I will be dropping one of them, I'm going to take a 2 credit medical terminology class.

I am really having a hard time on deciding between bio and anthro. The last time I took a bio class was in 10th grade so I honestly can't say how well I'd do. I feel like 3 science classes might be too much and I really can't afford to do bad. I used to think I was good at chemistry, but after two C- s in gen chem I feel like I should give myself some breathing room for o chem.

You know your own abilities better than anyone on this forum...

Just remember that, when it comes to this game, it's better to error on the side of scheduling "too easy" a semester (and acing everything) than "too hard" a semester (and screwing up your gpa).

Since you forgot all your background in both, and they are of approximately similar difficulties since they are intro classes, there is no practical difference unless we obtain more data.

And, honestly, general bio isn't even "science" to me (in the context of difficulty in undergraduate science courses). Anthropology is even a further deviate from that.

Do note that if your study skills / GPA aren't as high as they could be, it might be better to whet your teeth on anthro before bio since I do not think that anthro counts for your 1 year of bio requirement.

If you are going into med school, you need to get used to taking multiple, hard classes.

Members don't see this ad :)

Get the gen bio out of the way.

Anthro sounds cool. But it's not a pre-req at most schools. Plus writing intensive means... well... WRITING INTENSIVE... whyyyyyy? Hahaha, just do bio and then take anthro later.
:luck:

With Ochem and Physics, I would take anthro. Super easy, interesting class with minimal effort.

Remember that Ochem and Physics are on the MCAT. So, you might as well put in solid time now.

Edit: Don't take anthro of the middle east...take anth 100 or 101

I would ditch anthro and the medical terminology. The rest are pre-reqs that you have to take anyway. Bio 1 (ecology + evolution + some genetics) was mind-numbingly boring and easy, at least at my school - memorize a few things and you're all set. And the medical terminology at this stage seems rather useless to me.