1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

cant decide..confused

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by crazydentist007, May 6, 2008.

1. crazydentist007

Dental Student
    hey all.. i have got accepted in both the One year certificate program in Clinical Research and The one year certificate program in Orthodontics for international dentists at New york university. I am confused as to which one I should go for. Which one will help me more to get into a DDS program eventually. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. njsmahal

njsmahal DDS here i come

Dental Student
    i think there would be more weight in your application if you go into ortho. but i am not sure and they have something like if you do this and go into faculty stay there for 2 yrs or so then i think you can get into DDS easily,.... not sure about that though... and moreover you know all the faculty as well so it should be easy. personally i would go for ortho if i have the finances but if a little crunch then clinical research if they pay a stipend...coz in the end i would be spending a lot of money on DDS too. so ..... well.

4. crazydentist007

Dental Student
    thanks njsmahal for ur opinion really appreciate it..

5. shashi

Dental Student
    Hi ,
    what was your scores in NBDE ? I wanted to get into MS programe like ortho . What are the bases of selection ? please guide me .

6. D D S

Dental Student
    his part 1 is 89.I have asked few questions like yours but he never replied:(

7. crazydentist007

Dental Student

Hi Shashi
    I hvnt joined a MS program its a one year certification program. All the requirements are there on the NYUCD website under advance program for international dentists. this is the link to it-

http://www.nyu.edu/dental/academicprograms/international/index.html

hope this helps.

crazydentist007

8. crazydentist007

Dental Student
    HI DDS

I never received any PM or thread stating ur questions. All your answers are in the link i sent Shashi. Even after that you have any questions feel free to ask me I will try my best to answer them.

crazydentist007

9. born2bdentist

Dentist
    hi reading this thread i think i can write my confusing!! situation here.
    m planning to stay here for 4-6 years n then go back to my home country. so doin DDS here will make difficult for me to pay off the loans in this time.so can u pls tell me that this 1yr certi program of nyu..do they take u as a faculty after that n for that is it a volunteer or do they pay u for the same?? cos if i can finishi the course in 1 yr n its just a volunteer its not good on the financing part to just volunteer for appx 4yrs.
    your suggestions wd be of great help to me..thanks.

10. crazydentist007

Dental Student
    Hi born2bdentist

I really am not sure what is the basis of selection as a faculty there but of what i have heard that you can become a TA (teacher assistant) once you are done with the program but getting selected as one is hard.

hope this helps

11. born2bdentist

Dentist
    thanks a lot crazydentist....
    the job opportunities..n probably how easily u get one is a concern its seems with every option!! i had a talk with a no. of people n here it is wht i found...the one who r presently doing DDS or MS, all say there r excellent opportunities....but a couple of people who hv already finished say now times r difficult n u dont get as per ur choice..ie ur choice of place...salary.....
    well with the nyu it wd be sure more difficult as u say..cos its just the nyu where u hv a chance to work as assitant after the course!!
    well presently m confused whether to do DDS or MS....how bout u..u joined the course?

12. crazydentist007

Dental Student

i know what u mean..its always a dilema. i start my program in august lets see how things shape up.. :)

13. born2bdentist

Dentist
    hey good luck to u..crazydentist!!

14. crazydentist007

Dental Student
    same to u

15. Ninja91

Ninja91 Ninja Dentist

Post Doc
    The Ortho program will be better but you spend less money in the clinical research program. Either way both will help you. If you have the money then go for the Ortho program.