cant decide if to retake part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treattothetooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey SDN ppl.........how u guys doin???
I need some help..Should I be retakin part 1 o not????????????????:confused:

my stats r Nbde 1: 87
GPA: 2.8
TOEFL: 273
graduated from India in Aug'05...worked as a dentist in India from Aug till current

I had applied to UPENN,UMN, BU for aug'06 prog..Advanced Standing
Got rejections from them,,,dunnno what do i do...should I retake my part 1 just for 3 %( u never kno my efforts can go waste) or hold on to this score n strengthen my resume by workin there as an Observer or seriously think of taking up Part 2 which s toooo sarrrrry :scared:
Cant really judge what must ve gone wrong in my apps..my extra-curricular was pretty strong and so did I have some International presentations and a decent SOP!!!
waitin 4 guys to reply...
thanks ever1.
traettothetooth

Members don't see this ad.

treattothetooth said:
hey SDN ppl.........how u guys doin???
I need some help..Should I be retakin part 1 o not????????????????:confused:

my stats r Nbde 1: 87
GPA: 2.8
TOEFL: 273
graduated from India in Aug'05...worked as a dentist in India from Aug till current

I had applied to UPENN,UMN, BU for aug'06 prog..Advanced Standing
Got rejections from them,,,dunnno what do i do...should I retake my part 1 just for 3 %( u never kno my efforts can go waste) or hold on to this score n strengthen my resume by workin there as an Observer or seriously think of taking up Part 2 which s toooo sarrrrry :scared:
Cant really judge what must ve gone wrong in my apps..my extra-curricular was pretty strong and so did I have some International presentations and a decent SOP!!!
waitin 4 guys to reply...
thanks ever1.
traettothetooth

Why didn't you apply to NYU?

hiii........I did apply to NYU....I graduated last Aug..2005...our batch has not yet received a degree certi since our convocation has not yet taken place...scheduled to take place in April/May...
my appl package is not gettin reviewed unless they receive it!!!!
and now its passed the deadline....
....do u think sending the letter from the university iotself will help??just received it 2 days bac
hard cheese
:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
dont worry about the deadline...send it as soon u receive it! :thumbup: all the best!
treattothetooth said:
hiii........I did apply to NYU....I graduated last Aug..2005...our batch has not yet received a degree certi since our convocation has not yet taken place...scheduled to take place in April/May...
....do u think sending the letter from the university iotself will help??just received it 2 days bac
hard cheese

treattothetooth said:
hard cheese
Congrats on your score.I'm sure you must have put in hard work for this.I feel this is one of those cases where you cannot surely say that the score is too low.
If I were In your shoes, I would retake the boards even if it was just for that 3%.Getting a 90+ doesnt assure you a seat,but it sure gives you the confidence that if you got rejected it was not because of your score.

In the end its upto you.
Good luck :thumbup:

treattothetooth said:
hard cheese

Hey... I too got 87 in part 1. My GPA is 3.7. I too got rejections from Upenn and UMN. I called NYU and they said exactly what they said to you. I had exactly the same problem with my degree too. However my father back in India helped me get my degree. So now I sent my degree copy after the deadline was over. I too graduated in aug 2005. Govt college hadnt still conducted the convocation. They probably want only that number 90 or 90+. All the best anyways.
I think it is better first to give part2.

sirisara said:
Hey... I too got 87 in part 1. My GPA is 3.7. I too got rejections from Upenn and UMN. I called NYU and they said exactly what they said to you. I had exactly the same problem with my degree too. However my father back in India helped me get my degree. So now I sent my degree copy after the deadline was over. I too graduated in aug 2005. Govt college hadnt still conducted the convocation. They probably want only that number 90 or 90+. All the best anyways.
I think it is better first to give part2.

hey sirisara...u givin part2??? where r u put up..how did u manage to get the degree certi..lemme kno if I too can try to get it myself..lol but i know tats not workin out 4 me coz I don ve ne contacts!!!:(
u in the US now??? can i ve ur mail id so guess v can communicate better thru tat...also I would like to share my sorrows with some 1 sailin in the same boat :thumbdown:
u plannin to give part 1 again o part 2 1st??..but i thought retakin part 1 would be an earsier bet coz clinicals in India r absu way toooo different than the working styles in the US...tats very sacrrry..