Can't decide which essay to use for challenge question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

I've written two essays that will answer this question and I really don't know which one is better.

essay 1: I was not very self-confident as kid, but with the support of a close friend I was able to become more accepting of myself and focus more on self improvement. I concluded describing how this has made me want to provide similar support for my patients as a physician. I think I wrote this one alittle better.

essay 2: Brother in hospital for over a month, I was very emotionally distraught about this. I found support from families of patients that I talked to while visiting the hospital and how they were going about support their loved ones. I had to miss class multiple times a week to continue visiting and supporting my brother, but I was able to keep motivating myself with the goal of helping my brother. I concluded with saying that I will a similar motivation in medical school from the goal of helping my future patients.

Which one do you guys think is better topic-wise? Would anyone be willing to read the two and tell me which they think is better? I'm having a real tough time choosing.

Members don't see this ad.

The second one shows compassion, empathy, self-sacrifice and care. What coping skills did you use to keep motivated during this hard time of your life?

Personally, the second sounds like an answer I would enjoy reading. Granted, you must bear in mind, these people probably read thousands of these short essays over a very brief time period, so you want to stand out. Be specific, be concise and be unforgettable. The more you can show that you have the qualities they want in future doctors, without saying the same old thing, the better.

This coming from someone who has not yet applied, so take it with a grain of salt. :D

The second one shows compassion, empathy, self-sacrifice and care. What coping skills did you use to keep motivated during this hard time of your life?

Personally, the second sounds like an answer I would enjoy reading. Granted, you must bear in mind, these people probably read thousands of these short essays over a very brief time period, so you want to stand out. Be specific, be concise and be unforgettable. The more you can show that you have the qualities they want in future doctors, without saying the same old thing, the better.

This coming from someone who has not yet applied, so take it with a grain of salt. :D

The coping skill I used was mainly having helping the patient (in this case my brother) through a terrible time. I mentioned how this motivated to manage my time better, focus more, and to give myself some time everyday to de-stress.

I guess I'm leaning towards the second one, but I've been told the first one is rly good too. I actually used it in my TMDSAs and everyone of my interviewers has been interested in it. So I don't know...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I would like to read them, in full if you would not mind. I have to head off to work for a big chunk of time, so I would not likely respond until tonight. However, I think that seeing the full content of your essay would paint a better picture on what we are discussing. It is likely that both are very good, but again, you want to stand out!

Bear that last part in mind, because I think, although this is no negative reflection on you, that many people struggle with confidence and getting over it is HUGE, but you want to show them what YOU did for someone else, more than likely. Again, not to undervalue your struggle, but I think it is safer to stay away from the sympathy stories and stick with ones that show you as a person, and how you are able to get through struggles.

My $0.02. Seriously, however, I would love to read them.

Well, I would like to read them, in full if you would not mind. I have to head off to work for a big chunk of time, so I would not likely respond until tonight. However, I think that seeing the full content of your essay would paint a better picture on what we are discussing. It is likely that both are very good, but again, you want to stand out!

Bear that last part in mind, because I think, although this is no negative reflection on you, that many people struggle with confidence and getting over it is HUGE, but you want to show them what YOU did for someone else, more than likely. Again, not to undervalue your struggle, but I think it is safer to stay away from the sympathy stories and stick with ones that show you as a person, and how you are able to get through struggles.

My $0.02. Seriously, however, I would love to read them.

Sounds great! Thanks, I sent them to you.