Can't decide which medical school to go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mats7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take weather into consideration. Sunny weather is great, but...

Medical schools in cold areas = snow days = random days off, which is AWESOME when it's on exam days and you get an extra day to study!!

Just FYI.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Basing which med school to attend on the chance you'll get an exam postponed due to weather that might happen seems like rock solid logic.

Reactions: 28 users
Basing which med school to attend on the chance you'll get an exam postponed due to weather that might happen seems like rock solid logic.

The poster also seems to favor sunnier weather conditions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Yep, I think we just figured out exactly why Caribbean students flunk out at such epic proportions; never get that one extra snow day to study!

Reactions: 31 users
Just wanna point out that universities are almost never closed for snow. The only time that happens is in very extreme conditions, or in warmer places that don't get snow often. Obviously both of those events are rare and I wouldn't expect that to happen more than once or twice in your four years at med school, if at all.

The only places that have snow days are the schools in the northern portion of the south. All the places in the north have the infrastructure to deal with snow and as such, rarely get shut down.

Just wanna point out that universities are almost never closed for snow. The only time that happens is in very extreme conditions, or in warmer places that don't get snow often. Obviously both of those events are rare and I wouldn't expect that to happen more than once or twice in your four years at med school, if at all.

The only places that have snow days are the schools in the northern portion of the south. All the places in the north have the infrastructure to deal with snow and as such, rarely get shut down.

I'm in NY and we get 2 on average per academic year. I've had up to 3 or 4 some years.

They even rescheduled the Jan. 23rd MCAT test date to Feb. 3rd due to a snowstorm. I would say snow days are not uncommon in the Northeast.

I'm in NY and we get 2 on average per academic year. I've had up to 3 or 4 some years.

They even rescheduled the Jan. 23rd MCAT test date to Feb. 3rd due to a snowstorm. I would say snow days are not uncommon in the Northeast.

Snow days, or extreme weather days? I'm in Cleveland and we've gotten a few off for extreme cold (below -20 F) but never for snow.

Snow days, or extreme weather days? I'm in Cleveland and we've gotten a few off for extreme cold (below -20 F) but never for snow.

I've only ever gotten off for snow days and like a few days off for Hurricane Sandy a few years ago. Never had an "extreme weather day" but -20 F sounds awful.

UBuffalo only had a snow day last year when the surrounding area had over 6 feet of snow so no commuters could physically get to school, that was the last time in 25 years. So not as common in some areas as you would think.

Yet it seems like the ice cream shop you work at is thriving... you Buckeyes are a tough bunch :laugh:
15405562-mmmain.jpg

We had about 10 inches a couple of weeks ago and classes were not cancelled. All our lectures are recorded, so most days you don't ever have to show up on campus if you don't want to or can't make it. If one of the lecturers can't make it in, they can record their presentation from home or else last years recording gets posted instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yet it seems like the ice cream shop you work at is thriving... you Buckeyes are a tough bunch :laugh:
15405562-mmmain.jpg

Lol omg it was in the single digits today while I was at work, and the place was PACKED. And I was working alone, too, I was out of breath by the end of my shift lol.

yeah, not so much with the snow days
4 years undergrad in northern MN= 0 snow days and 1 day off for extreme cold
2 years ND= 0 days off
5 years MN= 1 day had a late start due to blizzard, effectively canceling my 9 a.m. class, but those from 10 a.m. on were held

When I was in med school, a med student told me about a time where a snow storm closed the school, and then the students tried to weasel out of having to learn the missed material. The Dean's reaction as fast and furious: "What are you going to tell a patient, that you didn't learn about their condition because your classes were cancelled that day???"

He then instituted a policy that the school would never be closed on account of the weather!

Reactions: 2 users

ah yes the great blizzard of '16. saved my MCAT score tbh

My school had one snow day and the makes up day for it was the worst day ever.

Med school snow days are not as magical as elementary school ones.

I went to undergrad in two places: one in the north and one in the south. The northern university closed one time due to snow in my four years there. The southern university closed THREE times in the TWO years I was there, due to hurricanes.

Just saying.

I go to such a school. It's VERY uncommon for this to happen (it's happened only once in the past 6-8 years that I can remember and that was with 2 feet of snow on the ground)

The place you were thinking about when you wrote your post.. go to that one. Sometimes we ask questions to what we already know because we're scared of making the wrong choice.

The place you were thinking about when you wrote your post.. go to that one. Sometimes we ask questions to what we already know because we're scared of making the wrong choice.
Seeing as they already had to choose their school seven months ago, we can only hope they didn't choose poorly !

Take weather into consideration. Sunny weather is great, but...

Medical schools in cold areas = snow days = random days off, which is AWESOME when it's on exam days and you get an extra day to study!!

Just FYI.
You'll only get a cancelled/rescheduled exam if the government for your school's county declares a state of emergency. Otherwise, "be careful out there."

My UG is a public school in the northeast. Last year we had no snow days and maybe 2 delays. 2 years ago we had quite a few though - that was the winter that screwed over Boston (we got hit less). Snow storms kept hitting Sunday night, so Monday classes kept getting cancelled. I did have to watch lectures for my chemistry class when we had snow days, so it wasn't all rosy.

+1

Another veteran of that debacle. Nice. Did you feel thrown off rhythm when it was cancelled, though?
naw. if anything it saved me bc i was not ready to take tbh and they let me reschedule for another future test free of charge since i wasnt able to make it to the retake

I go to school in South Carolina and during my time here we've had ~5 days off for snow (it was like 1/8" lol) and ~10 off for hurricanes. My friends in NY and MA usually get 0-2 days per year from what I've heard. I'm sure if you tell the SC schools that you wanna go there for days off, they'll make an exception on their hatred for OOSers.