Can't Decide...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweet2th

ready to roll
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 23 years old and almost done with a master in public health. I was the classic pre-med student in high school and college.. though, towards the end of college I saw that I had C's in organic/physics/calc (3.3 cuml) in an undergrad program that "sought to be as difficult as med school". The first and only round of the MCATs my junior year and only a 23 :scared: - even after intense Kaplan preparation. I used these stats that I now had, and the fact that I wasn't totally sure if med school was what I wanted to do and decided on plan B - public health.

2 years later...I am married to my best friend and while he has a stable career up and coming...I am swaying back and forth with med school thoughts again. I don't feel like public health is my end all and be all and yet the thought of the rigors of med school scares me to death. Hubby is cheering for me in whatever direction I go but I am scared to dive into something without a 100% feeling of confidence. What if I commit to get into med school and don't get in- all the time I wasted that I could have applied towards a future in something else - and continue the cycle I'm on now.

I don't know if others had this sense of fear and self-doubt when it came to academics and maintaining relationships while in school? I would like to have kids at some point and I don't know how that will pan out either. Basically I have a hard time not knowing what each decision will lead to.

Would anyone please offer any advise? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I say go for it. You might wanna stroll over to the non trad board and read some amazing stories of people there. Furthermore, listen to yourself. If you really feel becoming a physician is something meaningful and worthwhile then go for it, having children and a family will work itself out, especially since it sounds like you have a very supportive husband. I'm a 2nd year undergrad, who is trying to salvage my GPA for med school because I have this burning desire to become a doctor, so I think if theres a will theres a way. Either way though, I'd be proud of what you have accomplished thus far and whatever your decision live with the knowledge that there are those in your life who love you no matter what. Good Luck!

Retake the MCAT and prepare to dive in again.

Members don't see this ad :)
sweet2th said:
What if I commit to get into med school and don't get in- all the time I wasted that I could have applied towards a future in something else - and continue the cycle I'm on now.

ask yourself this- what if you don't commit and never know?

It sounds like you're putting quite a bit of urgency on this decision. Couldn't you work for a few years, and get a better perspective on what you really want to do?

One of my classmates did this. He got his Master's in Public Health and worked for a few years (I don't know what he did exactly). Now that he's here, he is in a much better financial situation.

The rest of your life is a long time and 23 is still pretty young...

NS

Im rooting for you too! Never look at time spent going after you dream as time wasted; it is more like time spent learning. Any time you spend in school is just going to make you a more well rounded individual. Education is priceless and you should never view it in a negative light. OK, second, If you are entertaining ideas of attending medical school for the second time and this after attempting another possible career path, that should be a glaring sign. Go for it. Third, I am a non-traditional premed student now and I too am in a serious relationship. Althought we are not married, we will be soon. I am 25 and will not be entering med school (hopefully) until the age of 27. She is giving me all the support in the world which helps beyond belief. I was concerned about my age, doubtful about my chances of getting in, and unsure about the path I was on. It's called being in your twenties!! It happens to many of us. I guess the bottom line is, your young, you are already married so you dont need to worry about planning a wedding, and if you decide to have kids, thats something that you can incorporated into your medical school career which will be real tough or, being 23, wait until you graduate, but Im not one to tell you how you should live.
I feel for and I wish I could say more because in many ways, like others on this site as well, we are in the same boat. So go for it, if you're scared you should definitely go for it (you'll see why when you overcome these fears), and hang in there because it'll be a rough road but so worth it in the end. :thumbup: Best of luck. :)

AStudent said:
Retake the MCAT and prepare to dive in again.

Thank you for all the supportive advice! It is so nice to hear kind words. I am going to seriously consider the MS program at PCOM to get those nasty orgo and physics grade up and apply later on. The hubby's job kinda requires us to still in the Philly area....Now I just need to write a public health thesis! ;)

sweet2th said:
I don't feel like public health is my end all and be all and yet the thought of the rigors of med school scares me to death. Hubby is cheering for me in whatever direction I go but I am scared to dive into something without a 100% feeling of confidence. What if I commit to get into med school and don't get in

I don't know if others had this sense of fear and self-doubt when it came to academics and maintaining relationships while in school? I would like to have kids at some point and I don't know how that will pan out either. Basically I have a hard time not knowing what each decision will lead to.

Would anyone please offer any advise? :oops:

You sound like me! Only I split-up with my fiance 6 months ago, so I don't have to deal with the "relationship" factor. :) Lots of couples have survived, though -- it takes understanding and effort, but it can be done.

I have changed my mind about medical school (dropped classes) at least 3 times, but I keep coming back to it. I, too, am concerned with how I am going to have a family AND be a doctor. Life has a funny way of working out -- if you know what you're afraid of in the future, you can work toward not realizing those fears.

What is the worst that can happen? You put your heart into it, retake the MCAT and then away to medical school you go! You can't do any harm going for it even if you change your mind later.

Now go on... ;)