1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Can't decided among: SUNY Stony Brook vs Alabany vs Buffalo vs Rutgers

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by yubjun, Apr 22, 2007.

1. yubjun

yubjun New Member

Pre-Dental
    My sister has been accepted to the 3 Sunys(Stony Brook, Alabny, Buffalo) and Rutgers. She plans on going to Dental school after graduating from college.

Which one prepares you the best to be admitted to dental schools?
    Which school would you recommend?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gqman

Pre-Dental
    I would go to Albany, all my friends at stony brook say that the sciences are way too difficult there.

4. yeabuddy

Pre-Dental
    Each of these schools are very good but there are several other factors you may want to consider ex(cost, location, class size, etc.). I recently graduated from Stony Brook undergrad in May 06 with a degree in Biology. Although the school has a great reputation there were some things I disliked about the school.

1. The sciences are very difficult and competative (most of the people there are trying to be doctors, dentists, or nurses).

2. Sciences classes are very large. All my general chemistry and organic chemistry classes had an average of about 700 students.

3. I felt there was not much of a social atmosphere at Stony Brook. You really have to be active and get involved if you wanna have a good time and meet people.

4. Your classmates in these science classes are extremely competative and have almost no personality except on how to do better than you in the class even if they arent interested in the same profession.

5. cptdemorgan

Pre-Dental
    I'm graduating from albany this semester and will be in dental school in the fall. My advise is that you look closely at these schools and the amount of students who get into medical/dental school from them. I know that here at albany, some 70 students a year get accepted into such programs but thats probably not a lot compared to other schools. The biology classes at albany are exceedingly easy but the chemistry department is highly focused on research and these classes are as hard as at any other program. (so hard in fact, that many students take orgo at other institutions over the summer). My advise would be to go to sony brook, or bighampton ( i know that wasn't listed but it would be equally easy to be accepted at). These schools have a slightly better reputation in my opinion.

6. DDSY

DDSY Bright Lights at Night

Pre-Dental
    www.usnews.com: ranking of national universities

60. Rutgers New Brunswick (from what I've heard, Rutgers is formerly an IVY league)
    86. SUNY Binghamton
    98. SUNY StonyBrook
    120. SUNY Buffalo
    120++ SUNY Albany

7. Regmata

Regmata Member
    Dentist

Resident [Any Field]
    Going to an undergraduate school that has a dental school can be a big advantage as far as experience and classes are concerned

8. DDSY

DDSY Bright Lights at Night

Pre-Dental
    True. However, I think that it is more true for private universities that have dental schools as opposed to public universities with dental schools. I believe state dental schools tend to accept students with the highest stats (gpa, DAT) and prefer residents, disregarding other factors.

9. Regmata

Regmata Member
    Dentist

Resident [Any Field]
    Although I doubt that is completely true, if two students have the same stats, but one of them observed in the clinics all year long...the student who has been seen working around the school and knows the faculty will have a distinct advantage come interview time. Apart from the advantage at the home school, the experience gained will also be advantageous at other universities. Additionally, UB offers classes in perio, endo, pedo and a few other dentistry specialties, to undergraduates. The courses are taken with dental school faculty, yet another advantage offered by a university that has a dental school.

10. license2drill

Dental Student
    100% True....Go to Albany, party and get good grades.

11. muz

muz Member

im from jersey....i went to RU newark/NJIT however i know rutgers NB really really well...its pretty damn hard, but HUGE name!

stony brook dental i interviewed at...nice and small, doesnt seem too social

RUTGERS New BRunswick is mad fun! for sure, closer to NYC than stony brook, and mad close to philly too

u have mad opportunities at RU!