ziffy 850

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
I am currently on a weird rotation with sparse internet access. I can't do USMLE World and my step 2 is in two weeks. Can I get by without it? Maybe with just NMS and Kaplan questions? I didn't do well on Step 1 and was hoping to rock this baby, but I have pockets of brilliance in NMS and then complete disaster. Suggestions?

Doc Ivy

Miss Understood
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You really should do UW, it's great practice. I had about 2 weeks to finish it, but I also had all day to work through questions.

Do you have internet access at home? I assume you're on a light rotation, so if you worked hard and did about 225 questions per night you could get through most of it.

OP
Z

ziffy 850

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
thanx for your opinion. it's going to be tough-i'm staying in an older resident housing not wired for internet(can you believe it) and this is supposed to be my study time during a light rotation-access in library is not great and it's pretty noisy. I'll give it a try, though-don't feel like I'm ready for this test but everyone tells me to take it early. I feel like I might be putting a nail in my coffin if I screw this up.

I took 2 NBMEs-didn't do great, but not awful-predicted score 220. How accurate?

About the Ads

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
Westbury,NewYork
Visit site
Status
tkim said:
If you have a laptop with a wireless card, you might be able to find a coffee/sandwich shop or a Borders or Starbucks with wireless access. You might have to pay for it but it's better than nothing.
this is what I was thinking! Sprint or Verizon has quick access to this last I checked.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
New England
Status
Attending Physician
mjl1717 said:
this is what I was thinking! Sprint or Verizon has quick access to this last I checked.
For Verizon, you need to get their cellular wireless card for the laptop, and the cost is relatively steep - ~$60/mo with contract.

Panera Bread, which is a national chain, has free wireless. Some independant coffee shops have free wireless as well, but are harder to find.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
Westbury,NewYork
Visit site
Status
tkim said:
For Verizon, you need to get their cellular wireless card for the laptop, and the cost is relatively steep - ~$60/mo with contract.

Panera Bread, which is a national chain, has free wireless. Some independant coffee shops have free wireless as well, but are harder to find.

Im not saying its cheap, I had Sprint for a few months to get the card it was aroung $180. and $50 per month.

Verizon wireless may have quicker wireless speed. When I looked at lot of carriers were out of cards.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
New England
Status
Attending Physician
mjl1717 said:
Im not saying its cheap, I had Sprint for a few months to get the card it was aroung $180. and $50 per month.

Verizon wireless may have quicker wireless speed. When I looked at lot of carriers were out of cards.
Yeah, the best short term solution would be to pay for a Starbucks/Borders wireless account for a month.

turkish

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
Surely you have a freakin phone line. USMLE world does not exactly require a high-speed connection. Netzero, dude.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
in hell
Status
Resident [Any Field]
if you can't get to UW, I suggest doing NMS instead.

Kaplan qbook isn't that great IMHO

About the Ads