Can't document volunteer experience -- options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grif

Crazy About Psychology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Thank you for the info. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For what purpose are you trying to document this experience? If you are in the process of applying to graduate school and want to show that you have clinical experience, I would simply list it on your CV and then don't include that organization as a reference. Most likely, nobody will ask why, but if they do then you can tell them more details.

Or, are you talking about documentation of hours to apply for pre-doctoral internship? I may very well be wrong here, but I was under the impression that you can only document hours that are obtained while in graduate school and while being directly supervised by a doctoral psychologist. I also recently heard that in order to document hours you have to be receiving concurrent grad level course credit for the experience (ie. summer jobs wouldn't count unless you were also taking a summer prac course through your grad school).

For what purpose are you trying to document this experience? If you are in the process of applying to graduate school and want to show that you have clinical experience, I would simply list it on your CV and then don't include that organization as a reference. Most likely, nobody will ask why, but if they do then you can tell them more details.
Thank you so much for that idea! I was concerned that it might, well, look bad. But I think you're right in that I can always offer a basic, professional answer about my time there instead of leaving it open to someone who may hold a grudge.

I want it documented for a couple of reasons:

• It opens up the BS in Human Services at my college. For that, it has to be documented and be 1'500 hours or more.
  • For grad school and scholarship apps, for which it may or may not need to be documented.
  • For future volunteering ops, as many do check refs or look at documentation. This is an area where I'm afraid it will bite me, since I may need to network with orgs in the future. I may just leave the phone number off apps and see how it goes.