Cant find any residency requirements of urology programs!! What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

33wins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS3 US alopathic currently in rotations. My school does not rank students and our only grading is honors, high pass, etc. on clerkship rotations. Im hoping someone who either applied or is currently in their urology residency can help me out because I am really struggling to find information on the residency statistics for this particular specialty. I scored low 220s on the step1 and am very interested in urology bc I am loving the elective so far. I am wondering if its even worth it for me to pursue a residency in this field because it is a rather competitive residency. I know I have to improve in step2 and I hope to do so. Any advice on whether or not my goal of going into urology is even possible with my step1 score? Will I have to take a gap year to do research and build a resume or do I have a shot if I apply broad and to a large # of programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MS3 US alopathic currently in rotations. My school does not rank students and our only grading is honors, high pass, etc. on clerkship rotations. Im hoping someone who either applied or is currently in their urology residency can help me out because I am really struggling to find information on the residency statistics for this particular specialty. I scored low 220s on the step1 and am very interested in urology bc I am loving the elective so far. I am wondering if its even worth it for me to pursue a residency in this field because it is a rather competitive residency. I know I have to improve in step2 and I hope to do so. Any advice on whether or not my goal of going into urology is even possible with my step1 score? Will I have to take a gap year to do research and build a resume or do I have a shot if I apply broad and to a large # of programs?
Urology is one of the most competitive specialties in medicine. Low 220s in pretty much unsalvageable. You wouldn't even make it past the initial screen at most places. Urology is off the table, sorry.

Sure, a couple people make it in each year with step scores even lower in the 200s and 210s, but that doesn't mean that anyone with those scores can match urology. Even if you were to do everything perfectly from here on out, I doubt your odds would even get as high as 40-50% to match.

Last edited:
You’re not completely out of the running. Last year, 27 people matched with a similar Step 1. Crank out some research and get to know the Department. A research year would really be beneficial. It’s worth a shot!
Source:
I can’t post the link, but the AAMC website shows all the scores of people who matched into particular specialties. Google “Urology Step 1 Average” and it should pop up. The data might not be complete but it gives you a pretty good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above. Matching isn't impossible with a low step1, but it will be an uphill battle. You will need something to stand out in the rest of your application (research, letters, etc), crush your away rotations (best chance to get someone to overlook numbers and like you) and apply very broadly.

It will be difficult to match. My advice would be to talk to the program director at your home program. He can review your boards, grades, research experience and give you an honest opinion on your chances and what you can do to improve them. I would have a backup plan in mind if you decide to go forward.