Can't Pay for Medical School (NYMC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lromero95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m a DACA student that just got accepted off the waitlist into NYMC not too long ago. I just found out the school won’t certify my private loan. Under the school’s policy, I am considered an international student, because of this I am required to pay out of pocket like an international student. Are there any international students on here that have some advice? I’m feeling very crushed as this is my only acceptance. I don’t know what to do I’m reaching out to anyone and everyone for help. The first person I talked to in the financial aid office gave me no problems so I was under the impression I could. The next time I called I was told a different answer. I even spoke with the guy in charge of financial aid. I feel very hopeless. After posting on the premed Reddit I was given a lot of good suggestions. I’m thinking of emailing or visiting the dean of the school to speak to him. If I can I’ll defer a year so I can get married to my fiancé and obtain a green card, but I’m not sure how long that will take. I’ve also sent out emails to senators and representatives. My last resort would be a GoFundMe. Does anyone have any other ideas? I’m desperate for a way out of this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
No. OP linked to NYMC policy regarding international students, which is how they are classifying DACA as non-citizens and non Green Card holders. The school can certify or not certify any loan it wants. OP is ineligible for federal loans due to immigration status.

Sallie Mae's requirement: "Borrowers must be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents if the school is located outside of the United States. Non-U.S. citizen borrowers who reside in the U.S. are eligible with a creditworthy cosigner (who must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident) and are required to provide an unexpired government-issued photo ID to verify identity." Of course, OP won't be able to close on a loan if the school won't certify, and the school won't certify for "international students" because it wants all 4 years upfront, or 2 years with a promise to make additional annual prepayments before the second and third years, with a guarantee of payment made by a creditworthy US citizen.

For the record, OP has DACA status, and is not here "illegally" under US law. Of course, if OP was illegal, merely applying would risk deportation, which is certainly not the case here. No one is saying a DACA is "entitled" to anything. It's just that an ethical institution that welcomes applications from non-citizens would make reasonable accommodations (like certifying a loan application) to allow a DACA candidate to attend.

Again, for the record, the US IS OP's "home country" if it is where they grew up, notwithstanding the fact that their parents came here illegally a generation ago. That is why there is no widespread consensus to deport them, even among immigration hardliners who don't want to reward how they came here with a path to citizenship. Do you know a single "home country" that originates 4 year loans for studnets to make prepayments to attend school in the US, other than maybe places like China that require the students to come home and work for the state post-graduation? That would do nothing for a DACA whose parents came to the US illegally 10, 15, or 20 years ago.
No, OP is not here legally, just like marijuana is not legal federally. The feds just choose not to deport DACA recipients and choose not to raid marijuana dispensaries. They could change their mind tomorrow with an executive order.
DACA protections can be revoked by DHS and DACA recipients continue to lack legal status and a pathway to citizenship.
Source: Fact Sheet: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) - National Immigration Forum

The politics of the DACA program is beyond the scope of this post, but OP is not a legal resident of the US. That is a fact. Whether or not that fact is fair is not relevant to this post.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users