Can't score higher than a 30!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prince Abubu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken AAMC 3-6.

I made a 27 on AAMC3R. On AAMC4-6 I've made consistent 30s. I score 10/10/10 or 11 on one section and 9 on the other.

It seems like I miss about 9-12 questions a section. Any advice on how to break past this point?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat...sucks.

You can definitely get PS to the 12-13 range by covering all your weak chem and physics topics. It's hard to identify which ones are weaker, so I personally went back and reviewed EVERYTHING in detail. If you have a lonnnggg time to study, I would suggest buying the BR physics and chem books and do all of the passages. Raised my PS score from ~9 to 12-13. Taking my real test on Saturday and I am more confident on the PS than ever. My last AAMC test was #9, which I took yesterday, and I scored a 14 on the PS.

For BS, TWO THINGS that will for sure raise your scores:

1) STUDY YOUR OCHEM. Use BR for this, too. It may seem tons of work to go through all the passages of all 8 of their chapters, but it will definitely prevent you from missing any ochem questions. It will for sure consistently raise your score at least 1 point on every test.

2) For the bio passages themselves, you need to realize 75% of the answers come straight from the passage. You need to let go of your upper-level bio knowledge and only stick with intro bio levels. For the 25% of bio that is not in the passages, you should read through EK bio. EK provides a very concise, brief review of all the bio you need to know. I have taken numerous, numerous, numerous practice tests and I can guarantee any knowledge not in the passages has been in the EK bio book. It takes less than a week to go through. It's totally worth it. This will raise your score another point or so consistently on every test. That's up from a 10 to a 12. The main thing is using the passage knowledge as much as possible. You just need to work on going slow and trusting the passage. I finally let go of my pride thinking I knew sooo much bio from my bio major and simply answer questions based on the info given to me in the passages and the brief info from EK. THAT'S IT. I was averaging 9-10, I'm consistently at 12 now.

Do what I say and you'll get a score in the mid-30s, at least for sure on AAMC practice tests haha. I'm taking my real test this Saturday, so I'll let you know how that goes. AAMC tests are very indicative of your real score, though, so I'm definitely expecting no less than mid-30s.

Oh and for VR, IDK what to tell you. I also get 10s all the time. Only advice I can give you here is to make sure you are reading question stems correctly. VR scores fluctuate easily because your performance is so specific to the passages you come across. One passage may confuse the hell out of you and finish you off. It's unpredictable. Every time I think I have a VR strategy down that will result in fewer mistakes, a few tests later I miss just as many as before for no apparent reason lol. IDK. Those science scores, especially the PS, are the easiest to raise.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My BS was in mech/biomed engineering and I've done a lot of chemistry based projects at work, so I fly through the PS. Avg 11-12 consistantly. The ones I miss come from stupid mistakes. I miss more on stoichiometry crap and misreading than anything else. I know the mat'l/formulas pretty well though.

I don't know why I can't get past a 10 on bio. Most of it is again dumb mistakes from missing a sentance in a passage and having trouble fully understanding what the question is asking for. I did EK bio book, AO, and did the entire EK Bio 1001. I feel like I know that content inside and out.

Verbal is gay. About a 9 avg there. My mind wonders too much and I just don't care about the passage. The passages that I'm interested in wide awake on I can nail every question. However, when it comes to history of law, I find myself almost falling asleep. I did lect 1-7 in EK Verbal and it helped a lot (first tests were a 6 avg, lol).

For me, I know the stuff, just suck at standardized testing unfortunately. I'd rather show my work and explain how I got my answer. I think my adreniline will help me stay awake and focused more, so I'm praying for a 32-33.

I take mine tomorrow too. Can't wait to be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be more confident if ppl were saying the test is like all the old AAMC practice ones. If that was the case, I could do a 32. With the Bio section sounding more difficult and the verbal being the same difficulty, but longer, I'm a little worried...

I'd be more confident if ppl were saying the test is like all the old AAMC practice ones. If that was the case, I could do a 32. With the Bio section sounding more difficult and the verbal being the same difficulty, but longer, I'm a little worried...

the VR isn't harder on the real one.

even if the test seems harder tomorrow, your score will be about your AAMC average. you said you were averaging 30? expect ~30 then. it's unlikely you'll actually do better on the real one than the AAMCs but rather on queue.

I just took a Kaplan Diagnostic and scored a 19 on it. That having taken the the Actual MCAT in 2006 and January 2008 with less than 24 scores. I am currently studying EK and Princeton Review. My performance on the EK lecture exams in Physics is less than average although I had an A in Physics 2 years ago. Please any advice for me?
PS I can't afford a prep course. Too expensive.

I just took a Kaplan Diagnostic and scored a 19 on it. That having taken the the Actual MCAT in 2006 and January 2008 with less than 24 scores. I am currently studying EK and Princeton Review. My performance on the EK lecture exams in Physics is less than average although I had an A in Physics 2 years ago. Please any advice for me?
PS I can't afford a prep course. Too expensive.

Your about to be $300,000 in debt and you can't shell out $2,000 for a prep course? Please explain this to me? Not everyone can pay for a class straight up with cash or with the assistance of a rich grandmother. If you think you need a class to stay motivated, take out loan or take out a credit card where you don't need to pay anything for a year, and then your year before medical school, work your ass off to pay it off.

I'm taking the test in three weeks. May 22.

I've got four more AAMC practice tests, and I'm hoping to raise my score by a few points. I don't have time to go through all the BR book's review on Ochem or Bio.

So basically, the only way to raise my score is to make sure I have every tested concept down. I get excited when grading my test, since I'm only getting about 10 wrong out of 52... but that only gets me to about a 10 or 11.

I suppose the main point is to just realize that every question can be answered correctly... it is possible to get a 14 or 15 in a section. With that in mind, I'll hopefully get over the seemingly impossible task of getting all 52 questions correct.

I finally made a 32 on a practice test! I took AAMC 7R this morning and got 10P/10V/12B.

I got nine questions wrong out of 52 on the physics section, but still ended up with a 10. So I bought EK 1001 Physics to help me bring up my score. Still have two weeks left.

I hope everyone else is improving up to the 22nd!