CAP Fellowships with Strong Research Focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

downwithDTB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has insight into CAP fellowships that have a history recruiting or given strong indication that they would recruit physician scientists with a high probability of being able to start an independently funded primary research career immediately following CAP fellowship either with K or R funding by leveraging additional salary, reduced clinical obligations and/or some seed money as is done by several general residencies (i.e. to research track graduates who have produced and want to continue producing). I am not interested in "scholarly projects" or "1 day a week for research." I am interested in programs with a track record of or a stated commitment to fast-tracking science careers with the hope of getting paid back with future indirects and scholarship not clinical obligation during fellowship. I know that there are very few individuals out there to whom this would apply and likely very few programs with the right need/desire/charity to invest at the fellow level in order to increase the extremely limited number of CAP/scientists out there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would look at Brown, Pitt, and Wisconsin (particularly for CAP neuroimaging research) as places that might be able to meet your requirements. Obviously all the top flight programs will have some ability/interest in doing this and it will clearly require a discussion with the PD and likely the chair/section head to have a full understanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet is to stay at your home program and continue your research, because moving to another program is going to make it hard to be prepared to apply for your K as a fellow without extending. There are several programs which have 3-yr child fellowships with an additional year of research built in. Otherwise, this is something you need to negotiate with programs of interest. In which case, your best best is to find a place that has the research and mentorship you need for your interests/goals and go from there. If you are a competitive, clinically competent, applicant, then you will have some leverage to negotiate what you need. bear in mind that child fellowship is a clinical fellowship, and you still need to meet the minimum ACGME requirements in order to graduate. Unlike in residency, it is not possible to shave off large chunks for research time, though there is definitely fat to be cut. If you want to turbo-charge your career, and have a K award right out the gate, you should expect to be spending your evenings, weekends, and vacation, working on your research and grant applications as whatever time you have carved out in fellowship is unlikely to be sufficient, even if you extend.

people often forget that things are still negotiable in residency/fellowship, but only for competitive applicants. Things to discuss are protected time for research, funding, professional leave and funding for conferences and other activities, child care, and in some cases spousal hires. Bear in mind it is easier to this in the midwest and other places that have a harder time getting their pick, than it is at coastal institutions. Most places will, for the right applicant, pay for x amount of time as a junior faculty for research for a year. You will be expected to get your k award or other independent funding within a year typically or be let loose. again, start up package is something you have to negotiate.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm aware of many of the complexities of this negotiation process and the advantages and disadvantages of staying at my current institution. I know that some fellowship programs see fellows only as clinical workers and that some departments are able to recruit enough money generating research faculty without having to invest in people who don't already have hard money on the table. Other programs would love to lay out the money but don't actually have it. What I would like to know is what programs have actually made offers in the past (or would be highly likely to now) to attract clinician scientists that they otherwise wouldn't likely match. Having multiple offers would strengthen my position at all institutions. It is complicated to uncover this information from within one's own institution given their interest in retaining people they trained and not wanting to have to compete with other good offers; thus, I'm hoping that someone from the anonymous internet might be able to suggest that the program at State U has made efforts to lure in physician-scientists so that I don't waste time (mine or theirs) with programs whose goals, needs and resources won't lead to mutual interest.

Reactions: 1 user