Capitalize W in western blot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Really ridiculously-specific question: Do you capitalize the W in your western blots? or your Western blots?

(in pre-allo due to PS).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Really ridiculously-specific question: Do you capitalize the W in your western blots? or your Western blots?

(in pre-allo due to PS).

I usually capitalise it, as it's sort of a play on the name "Southern".

I usually capitalise it, as it's sort of a play on the name "Southern".

hmm...I used to capitalize it, too. But it looks like western is uncapitalized in Wikipedia (?)

Members don't see this ad :)
only capitalize if it is a proper name...I don't know the answer to that...but for example, if somebody named "Western" is the source, then it is for sure capitalized...

No, it shouldn't be capitalized. The "Southern" in Southern blot is because it is a person's name, but northern and western blot should not be capitalized because it is not someone's name.

My vote is that it has an exactly 0.00000000001% (+/- 0.00000000001%) chance of affecting your application. Have a good day.

My vote is that it has an exactly 0.00000000001% (+/- 0.00000000001%) chance of affecting your application. Have a good day.

I agree.

BTW- I'm running a Western at work as I type this sentence.

Just be safe - use the word immunoblot instead. :)

Hrm...doesn't really matter I don't think.

Heres another question along the same vein...

Is it...

PrincipAL Investigator?

or...

PrincipLE Investigator?

Both the NIH and NSF has both spellings in their grant forms.

(By the way, its principal investigator, since principle is a belief)

Thanks for the help and comments. I was largely asking for the sake of my own knowledge so that I write it correctly in the future.

And the obvious benefit that being able to correctly write 'western blot' guarantees you a full tuition scholarship to Harvard.

The only capitalized of the directional blots is Southern because it is named after a person. The other ones are all puns on this original one.

One of these days, I'm going to invent the Eastern blot and make millions.

The only capitalized of the directional blots is Southern because it is named after a person. The other ones are all puns on this original one.
Those molecular biologists are hilarious, but they're not quite up to par with the real comedians - the Drosophila scientists with Sonic hedgehog and whatnot.