Car during M3 clerkship/rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the locations my school is affiliated with are in large metropolitan cities (ie Chicago, New York, Atlanta). Did most of you guys keep a car during your third year, or just lived in the city and relied on local city transportation such as the subway or bus?

On the verge of purchasing a car, but my Mom insists on keeping the current car and just driving it for the next 72 weeks and get something new once residency starts.

Members don't see this ad.

What is wrong with your current car?

If at all possible I would get something cheap/easy to fix if you need one. Bike or public transportation is obviously cheap..

I do all the work to my own cars and racing is my hobby so I have a "fun" car and I just bought a daily driver but I bought it wrecked and am fixing it myself. Still planning to walk/ride my bike as much as I can to keep the mileage down and save on gas. Just got the car in case I need to go to a far away rotation sometimes.

Most of the locations my school is affiliated with are in large metropolitan cities (ie Chicago, New York, Atlanta).

Chicago and NY you can get away with commuting by train/bus, but you don't want to be trying to get to your surgery rotation at 5 am using Atlanta public transit.

Also something to consider: if you have some sort of family med rotation, or outpatient, where you're in the suburbs, you're going to need a car anyway.