car in israel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s10m30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice from some current students or grads from Technion or Sackler.
What did you do about a car?
I know public transportation (esp in Tel Aviv) is wonderful in Israel, between the buses and the trains, but I have a kid and a spouse, and chances are we will not be able to make it work with less than one car (and probably will need both our cars, depending on where my husband finds a job and our childcare arrangements!)

What did you guys do?
Do you lease a car there, or buy one? both seem like awfully expensive options with Israels insanely high tax on automobiles.
- But, does being a student make it cheaper? if you are not an Israeli citizen, are you still charged the same rates?

Does anyone bring their car with them from the states? how much does doing that cost, and what are the logistics involved? Right now we lease our cars, and we are not interested in purchasing vehicles if not necessary!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

33 views and not a single person has one word of advice???

buuumppp?? please??

seriously people. 86 views??? and not one of those 86 people has one word of advice to give me?
Ive searched the old threads...Ive googled it...ive found very little other than some vague guidelines on the Israeli Foreign Ministry's website....

any advice would be appreciated....

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most people that go to the school don't worry about the logistics of a car because it's short term and not necessary for their needs. I doubt you would be able to bypass the obscene taxes. You probably want to talk to an Israeli about leasing and such.

I cant believe people "bypass" having a car for 3 years of their lives. if I was moving to montana for med school I wouldnt "bypass" the option. Tel Aviv is NOT manhattan and getting by without a car with children is more complicated than it is in NYC or Paris. I know, I spent my yr abroad there (hence my desire to go back). Not having a car is not an option... I just remember hearing if you are not a citizen or are a student from abroad the regulations insurance taxes etc are very different. that is why I didnt want to ask israelis.

Try asking the school and current students for some answers.

out of the 65 people in my class, there are 2-3 people with a car. so yes they do bypass having a car for 3 years. having a car in tel aviv is the biggest hassle since parking is limited not to mention its horribly expensive. i've rented a car here and got no student discount

I cant believe people "bypass" having a car for 3 years of their lives. if I was moving to montana for med school I wouldnt "bypass" the option. Tel Aviv is NOT manhattan and getting by without a car with children is more complicated than it is in NYC or Paris. I know, I spent my yr abroad there (hence my desire to go back). Not having a car is not an option... I just remember hearing if you are not a citizen or are a student from abroad the regulations insurance taxes etc are very different. that is why I didnt want to ask israelis.