Car insurance/Registration when moving states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dookter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! What are you guys going to do about registering your car, etc., when you move? Are you keeping it registered in your home state? I have never moved states and have no idea about these things. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UTpremed said:
Hi everyone! What are you guys going to do about registering your car, etc., when you move? Are you keeping it registered in your home state? I have never moved states and have no idea about these things. Thanks!

This depends on the state I believe. For instance, I have out of state friends who brought their cars to Wisconsin while keeping their state license plates. However, when they needed to get new plates, I believe they had to get a Wisconsin plate if they were going to continue to live in Wisconsin. Now when I move to Iowa, I know that I will have have to get Iowa plates within 30 days. Ultimately, you just have to check with the state laws.

(I had found this out from realtor, but I am sure there are other places to look as well like the states DOT website.).

As long as you are a full time student or in the military, I believe you can keep your tags registered in your home state.

UTpremed said:

You should probably move it with you. I think the general rule is that the registration should follow your permanent address, but this obviously varies from state to state. It might save you some headaches down the road if you need to go to DMV for anything relating to the car (i.e. you'd have to deal with it in your home state.)