car owners - what do you do as an out of stater?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'll be attending school as an out of stater and I was wondering if anyone else knew if bringing along my car for the time during which I will be living there requires me to change my registration and plates etc. ?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So I'll be attending school as an out of stater and I was wondering if anyone else knew if bringing along my car for the time during which I will be living there requires me to change my registration and plates etc. ?

thanks!

hm i was wondering about this too

No, as a student you dont have to do anything. I had CO in OH for 4 years, and in CA for 1, and now going to be in NY...never had a problem but got tickets so someone did look at them

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the DMV website of the state to which you will be moving and they will let you know what you need to do... Many states don't require anything if you are a student... Some have stipulations if you work though, such as getting a license but not registering your car... So check out the DMV of the state you are going to!

Best of luck!

as said above, check the dmv site for the state that you're going to.

also, you need to make sure your insurance company covers you in the state that you're going to. national/nationwide insurance companies typically do, but smaller/local insurance companies may only cover you in their respective state. make sure to check your policy.