SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

car owners - what do you do as an out of stater?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by MedChic, Jun 4, 2008.

  1. MedChic

    MedChic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Dec 19, 2005
    Hi everyone,

    So I'll be attending school as an out of stater and I was wondering if anyone else knew if bringing along my car for the time during which I will be living there requires me to change my registration and plates etc. ?

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. NYCarebear

    NYCarebear 2+ Year Member

    Dec 17, 2007
    hm i was wondering about this too
  4. tdsbird2

    tdsbird2 7+ Year Member

    Feb 5, 2008
    No, as a student you dont have to do anything. I had CO in OH for 4 years, and in CA for 1, and now going to be in NY...never had a problem but got tickets so someone did look at them
  5. DrJD

    DrJD Junior Member 7+ Year Member

    Oct 24, 2005
    Go to the DMV website of the state to which you will be moving and they will let you know what you need to do... Many states don't require anything if you are a student... Some have stipulations if you work though, such as getting a license but not registering your car... So check out the DMV of the state you are going to!

    Best of luck!
  6. MedChic

    MedChic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Dec 19, 2005
    Thank you!
  7. elwademd

    elwademd 2+ Year Member

    Jun 24, 2007
    as said above, check the dmv site for the state that you're going to.

    also, you need to make sure your insurance company covers you in the state that you're going to. national/nationwide insurance companies typically do, but smaller/local insurance companies may only cover you in their respective state. make sure to check your policy.

Share This Page