• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Car question for out of state med school.

Ki-100

5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
I recently accepted into out of state med school and plan to drive my dad's car. I wonder do I have to register my dad's vehicle in other state? If the title's name is my dad and I purchase car insurance with my name it is ok to do so? Also do I have to change the state residency( like change my driver license). Thank you.

D

deleted1005514

I recently accepted into out of state med school and plan to drive my dad's car. I wonder do I have to register my dad's vehicle in other state? If the title's name is my dad and I purchase car insurance with my name it is ok to do so? Also do I have to change the state residency( like change my driver license). Thank you.

1. Many college students don’t re-register in a new state. If you’re not going to drive home every year for an inspection, this can be an issue in some states.

2. Yes, getting insurance won’t be a problem.

3. Most states have laws that say you’re supposed to change your drivers license within 30 days of moving, but I know lots of people who either don’t or waited until renewal. Most of my classmates never changed a thing. I was actually moving for good and changed everything immediately.

Hematochezia666

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 23, 2020
  1. Medical Student
You don’t have to change the state plates or the license. You can typically buy insurance in the state where the car is being driven (your schools state). Call and ask progressive and State Farm about ownership. You don’t want to change insurance unless it’s much better or cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.