car rental question/insurance converage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm gonna be renting a car soon to get from airport to med school. Since I'm under 25, my dad's gonna be doing the driving to save the underage fee. My question is how is the insurance like for car rentals? is it worth it to dish out like $25 more to get complete coverage? I haven't rented before so I'm not sure of the details.

-I have a citibank platinum select card which says it covers car rentals. if there's an accident involved, what type of coverage do credit cards generally cover, and does ur current car insurance cover it? thnx.

[question's been answered so please move to appropriate forum]

Members don't see this ad.

You better check what exactly you're getting from citibank, but it's probably collision damage waiver, which means if the car you rent gets totaled, citibank covers it. If you are on your dad's insurance policy, you are generally protected from personal liability when you drive a car (any car) in the US. If it is your dad who will be driving, same thing for his auto insurance. If you rent in a foreign country, your own automobile insurance and the credit card may or may not cover you depending on the policy, but I guess this doesn't apply to you.

Originally posted by WatchingWaiting
You better check what exactly you're getting from citibank, but it's probably collision damage waiver, which means if the car you rent gets totaled, citibank covers it. If you are on your dad's insurance policy, you are generally protected from personal liability when you drive a car (any car) in the US. If it is your dad who will be driving, same thing for his auto insurance. If you rent in a foreign country, your own automobile insurance and the credit card may or may not cover you depending on the policy, but I guess this doesn't apply to you.

cool. i just contacted cc company and finally got it cleared up. the cc only covers damage to the rental car while any liability issues will be taken care of by the regular auto insurance company.