PhD/PsyD card carrying psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimich

Associate Professor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just renewed for my 2nd time and they sent me a nice plastic card/receipt.
"Please carry it with you at all times."
Do other states do this? Maybe I'll check the useful internet website. /s
licensepic.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
When do they send your badge and gun?

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reminds me of:

Reactions: 3 users
i also like the sign card immediately part. I get the same thing on my credit card and half the time I forget to sign them and use them for years without incident. If I forget to sign my license to practice psychology and have it on me at all times will that cause a problem in some way? Hard to imagine the scenario where that would play out. I think I am more to likely to need to show a receipt for my donut especially when I’m audited and I claimed my donut as a business expense. I’m pretty sure my coffee is a business expense, it’s not like I can work without it.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been licensed in California for years. Why would I carry my psychology license card with me? That’s dumb

I’ve been licensed in California for years. Why would I carry my psychology license card with me? That’s dumb

For psychology emergencies obviously. For example, on my way to lunch the other day I drove past a car on the shoulder with the hazards on. I stopped to check on the person. I immediately stopped them and said " I am Dr. Sanman, licensed psychologist" and whipped out my psychology license for their inspection. I then quickly assessed the gentleman in front of me and whipped out my trusty BAI to ensure that he was not suffering undue anxiety from his automotive troubles. The gentleman insisted he was fine, but I like to make sure someone is not about suffer a panic attack. The man then said to me "I got a flat tire. Do you know how to change it?" I once again flashed my psychology license and assured the man that I attended grad school in psychology to avoid manual labor and that I was in no way mechanically inclined. He responded "Oh, I called AAA, but they are going to be another 30 minutes" and politely asked me to leave. I got in my car and drove to lunch...late. Another day and another emergency successfully emotionally processed by Dr. Sanman.

Clark Kent Superman GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
My state also does not issue physical licenses unless requested, so definitely no card. If I’m on an airplane, someone has a mental health crisis, and the flight attendants request if a professional is on board, I have no way to prove it. I wonder if they just take my word in those cases.

• Haha
love the jokes! but would also want to know what the CPA is thinking.

just renewed for my 2nd time and they sent me a nice plastic card/receipt.
"Please carry it with you at all times."
Do other states do this? Maybe I'll check the useful internet website. /s
View attachment 353658
Pennsylvania also sends us a card! I ended up just getting it tattooed on my forearm for easier accessibility when psychological emergencies arise. It's a bit of a pain updating the expiration date every two years but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the greater good.

Members don't see this ad :)
love the jokes! but would also want to know what the CPA is thinking.
That is quite a presumption. I'm pretty sure they are not thinking and are unaware that they just like to tell people what to do. It just comes naturally to certain types of people or situations. Someone should do a study on that. You could setup a fake prison situation and see if the guards start bossing around the inmates arbitrarily.

Pennsylvania also sends us a card! I ended up just getting it tattooed on my forearm for easier accessibility when psychological emergencies arise. It's a bit of a pain updating the expiration date every two years but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the greater good.

We also get in a card in my state, but there's no weird mandate to carry it around. It's autogenerated from the board's website and I guess you can go through the effort to print, laminate, and carry it around if you want to.

My state also does not issue physical licenses unless requested, so definitely no card. If I’m on an airplane, someone has a mental health crisis, and the flight attendants request if a professional is on board, I have no way to prove it. I wonder if they just take my word in those cases.
This is the only kind of scenario I can think of where the card might be used. And then it makes the signature even more absurd -- if I used this in an emergency would someone flip it over to make sure it was signed?

This is the only kind of scenario I can think of where the card might be used. And then it makes the signature even more absurd -- if I used this in an emergency would someone flip it over to make sure it was signed?

The signature thing has always confused me. Even if someone stole a credit card or similar, don't they know how to copy whatever signature is on the back of the card? Is every store clerk supposed to be a handwriting expert? Your signature on a piece of uneven plastic looks different from this signature on a paper so you can't buy this toilet paper? They have probably already handed the card back by the time the person is signing the receipt anyway. Don't get me stated on how pointless those digital signature pads are...

Reactions: 2 users
The signature thing has always confused me. Even if someone stole a credit card or similar, don't they know how to copy whatever signature is on the back of the card? Is every store clerk supposed to be a handwriting expert? Your signature on a piece of uneven plastic looks different from this signature on a paper so you can't buy this toilet paper? They have probably already handed the card back by the time the person is signing the receipt anyway. Don't get me stated on how pointless those digital signature pads are...
I remember waaaaay back in my retail days, we were told not to accept cards if they weren't signed. I don't remember how regularly we actually checked for signatures, but I vaguely recall asking a few folks to use a different form of payment for that reason.

Then again, this was also back when we had to call banks on the (land line) phone to verify checks (back when people also regularly used checks) if our register printing system thing went down. And had to use carbon paper for credit cards in those same situations. Good times.

Hold it right there, punk! Come WAIS your time with me! Or else I will assess your resistance with such non-sensitive measures like "The Test of Memory Malingering" and detain you for a 72-hour hold! Now...put down those 3-D square looking blocks with the kinda cool psychedelic-looking colors! Now.... put em in the shape/design seen here! That's right, you heard me ****head!

No, no...it's a "butterfly" you freaking pervert!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Hold it right there, punk! Come WAIS your time with me! Or else I will assess your resistance with such non-sensitive measures like "The Test of Memory Malingering" and detain you for a 72-hour hold! Now...put down those 3-D square looking blocks with the kinda cool psychedelic-looking colors! Now.... put em in the shape/design seen here! That's right, you heard me ****head!

No, no...it's a "butterfly" you freaking pervert!
Uhoh, I think Dr . Erg might be losing it. :uhno:

My license just says it has to be shown on demand. It doesn't specify who can demand it or when, but at least it doesn't say I have to carry it at all times. Of course, if I'm at the grocery store and the clerk demands to see my psychology license when I respond empathically to her expressing that she is having a rough Monday, I could be in trouble if I can't produce my official papers.

Last edited:
Yes, I've been sent and was told to carry a wallet card in one of the states I've been licensed in. Mine is paper and not plastic though, now I feel ripped off.