Cardiac Fellowships in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MulletMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any resident/attending here comment on the ACGME accredited cardiac fellowships in CA?

- USC
- Loma Linda
- Stanford
- UC Davis
- UCLA
- UC SD

Members don't see this ad.

Can any resident/attending here comment on the ACGME accredited cardiac fellowships in CA?

- USC
- Loma Linda
- Stanford
- UC Davis
- UCLA
- UC SD

ucla is the primo fellowship: easily top 10 in country, and best west of the mississippi sans mayo-rochester.

stanford is a distant 2nd, and not run very well. Very disorganized.

ucsd wins on location, and may edge out stanford for this reason.

UCSF isn't accredited.

Ignore the rest on your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate more on UCLA? How are the faculty, case variety, TEE experience, etc. Do you know if the fellows there are happy or just overworked residents?

It's too bad there isn't an "anesthesiology fellowship review" section on this forum.

Can you comment on other top programs around the country?

Brigham
Columbia
Hopkins
Duke
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
Mayo-Rochester
UCLA

That seems to be the consensus for top cardiac fellowships when I ask around. Some people say Texas Heart, but I've heard more often than not that it's a poor TEE experience and not a good place to go. Heard that Penn, Stanford, Cornell, Sinai, U of W are also good, but not top.

Guys -

This link will allow you to look at the numbers at each program, as reported by the programs themselves (I believe). Of note, you can look at the programs down by which are ACGME accredited and which aren't.

http://www.scahq.org/

dc