Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Cardiac surg?

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by aric_taylor2000, Apr 25, 2004.

1. aric_taylor2000

aric_taylor2000 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just a question that may sound a bit odd but it seems some medical positions are changing and such. I most often refer to "Heart Surgons" has cardiac surgeons and I am not sure if that is their correct title anymore. Could anyone verify that for me please? or please tell me what this are more commonly known as now.

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well to be honest, I'm not sure it matters but the most common terms are:

Cardiovascular and Cardiothoracic surgeons. IMHO, Cardiothoracic is usually the best term as the newly graduating fellows don't do near as much vascular as they used to. Although i guess that's not really true as they do a lot of AAA, Thoracic aneurysms, and the such.

4. I've heard many things. Cardiac surgeon. CT surgeon. Heart surgeon. Cardiothoracic surgeon. Cardiovascular surgeon. Thoracic surgeon.

:)

5. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi Folks,
    The proper term for someone finishing fellowship today is Cardiothoracic Surgeon because Vascular Surgery is a separate fellowship. Many of the folks who trained back in the 60s and 70s were Cardiovascular Surgeons because their fellowship did include vascular surgery but that is no longer true.

At some institutions such as UVA, there are Thoracic Surgeons who do not do Cardiac work and Cardiovascular surgeons who do perform both cardiac and vascular cases but do not do thoracic cases. There are a couple of folks who only do vascular.

njbmd :)

6. GeddyLee

GeddyLee Bad-ass Guitarist
    7+ Year Member

You'll hear lots of other names for the cardiac surgeons at most institutions, however, most of them aren't postable here.