Cardiac Surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

styphon

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What training would you need to be a cardiac surgeon?What about a cardologist?

Members don't see this ad.

Cardiothoracic surgeon: five years of general surgery residency, then a Cardiothoracic surgery fellowship.

Cardiology is a three year internal medicine residency followed by a three year cardiology fellowship.

I think those are right. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

later

Cardiothoracic Surgery is a MINIMUM of 7 years - 5 years is the minimum for General Surgery but most academic programs will require you to do lab years (1-3+) in addition. CT fellowships are 2 years. So count on at least 7+ years for this pathway.

Cardiology is a MINIMUM of 3 years following 3 years of IM. About half the programs in this country are 3 yrs. for general Cards, and half are 4 years (1 yr. research). General Cards includes diagnostic cath training. Subspecialties within Cards (=further years of training) include:

Interventional Cards: 1-2 years depending on the program and depending on how much peripheral intervention you do

EP: The AICD/pacemaker/ablation guys. Generally 1-2 years after general Cards, but many places let you fold in your first year of EP into your last year of general Cards fellowship

Heart Failure: Generally 1 year more after general cards

ECHO: 1 year, including more TEE training.

Preventive: 1 year, from what I understand
Int. Cards and EP are by far the most procedure intensive.