Cardiac surgery vs General surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm a 3rd yr med student in Canada and I have to make my specialty decision asap.

So far i'm in between cardiac surgery and general surgery. In Canada, cardiac surgery is a direct entry 6 year stream and general surgery is 5 years. Cardiac in Canada is not highly competitive like the I-6 programs in the states. Cardiac and thoracic are separate specialties in Canada. Thoracic is normally entered after general surgery but can still be entered after cardiac (although not typical and you may find it difficult to get community jobs).

My resume is more geared towards a cardiac application, I have electives, research etc in it and my interest has been in it as well as interventional cardiology for quite a while. I have always had an interest in general surgery as well but it has always kind of been a 3rd choice for me until now.

I'm now at the point where I've had experience in medicine, cardiology, CCU, ICU, cardiac surgery and general surgery and I know I want to do surgery over medicine. The trouble is cardiac vs general.

The reason I like general surgery, is that I like the diversity of the cases. I definitely like the idea of being able to operate almost anywhere in a pinch and I like that there are some cases that are simple and short and some that are longer and more complex. I also like the idea of putting off a specialty decision until later. I like that in general surgery, you are very involved in the entire hospital, you go to the emergency while on call for consults, so you get your medicine as well. As staff, I do like the diversity in careers, so there are options for a less hectic work schedule as well as more hectic ones. I do like the idea of one day being able to do international surgery and the idea that if needed, you could be a very useful physician in low resource settings.

What I don't like is that while I do like the GI tract, I don't like it as much as the heart and lungs. I like that with the heart and lungs, there isn't as much poop and gas to deal with, less odd smells. I like emergencies and gen surg provides that but I do find that cardiac and thoracic emergencies excite me the most. I get excited at the idea of ECMO, chest tubes, pneumothorax, TAVI, TEVAR and thoracic trauma more so than abdominal emergencies. The side effects of some general surgery procedures don't interest me as much, like the idea of giving people an ostomy bag. I believe I would be most interested in thoracic, upper GI, trauma, hpb or mis if I were to do gen as opposed to colorectal.

The reason I like cardiac surgery, is first that I always liked the heart and vascular system. Bleeding/blood excites me and the great vessels excite me as well. I like the cardiac patient and the fact that the post-op care is almost like a assembly line and simple and often part-managed by other specialties. Most patients go home post op day 5-7, NPs manage the wards and cardiac anesthesia/ICU manages the CVICU. In the end as a cardiac resident or staff you round symbolically and pull chest tubes, this is nice. I like how cardiac surgery research is booming and how there is real funding in cv research and I like all the advancements in the field and want to participate in that.

I do appreciate that this often means later starts to the day since less rounding and ward work is required. As mentioned above, I like that cardiac patients are nice patients to have, they are typically cooperative with their care and they often very appreciate your help. I also like that the outcomes are good on cardiac surgery, there aren't very many complications that leave patients alive but permanently disabled (true, stroke but this happens less often than an inoperable tumor or mets in general surgery).

What I am most worried about is the future of cardiac surgery. TAVIs are predicted to be at least 50% of all AVR cases in the next 5 years and eventually will likely be 80%+. I don't see cardiac surgery being able to perform most TAVI cases in the future, I believe some surgeons may do them, but the majority will be done by interventional cardiology. Mitraclip is an interventional procedure now and while I see TEVAR and TMVI leaning more cv surgery. The current job market for both general and cardiac is bad, but worse for cardiac in Canada. I'm worried that if most aortic valves leave cardiac surgery, 15-20% of the case load will disappear and I will not be able to find a job in 10 years.

Like I mentioned above, I also dislike the fact that cardiac doesn't deal with much medicine at all. The workup and consults are almost entirely done by cardiology, to the point that most of a cardiac surgeon's non-surgical work is simply reading an angiogram and determining where to place grafts. As a cardiac surgery resident, it is nice that you will get sleep while on call, but I do feel like I would miss going to the emerg for consults and cases (aortic dissection seems to be the only reason for emerg to consult cardiac). I also dislike the fact that in the future if caseload doesn't change, it is very possible that 70% of cardiac cases will be CABG only and I feel like that might not be enough diversity in cases for me.

I could feasibly do general surgery and then apply for a CT fellowship in the states but the issue with that again is that if there are limited jobs in Canada i'm pretty sure that most jobs would go to someone who was dedicated trained in Cardiac and then pursued fellowships over someone who was a 5+3. In addition, another issue is that I know people in cardiac surgery much better and also have a better chance of matching in cardiac than general at this point. In terms of my knowledge, I know cardiac better than general. I know this shouldn't play a role, but in some sense it feels like I've gone so far into the heart and know so much that it would be a shame to turn back.

Any advice or opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my GS resident colleague discovered cardiac surgery while doing her rotation PGY-2, and she is currently doing elective rotation at various places across the country (I'm from Canada). From what I heard, it is definitely doable to do 5+3 even in Canada, while less advertised and popular than in the US.

Also, have you considered Vascular Surgery? You will have plenty of urgent/emergent consults from the ER, there are plenty of technological advances, you somewhat control more your caseload and referral base. However, patients are among the sickest in the hospital, and often not compliant. They do complicate quite often as well. From what I heard, it is still possible to go the 5+2 route.

I myself matched in Thoracic Surgery. Very happy with that choice, I'll be able to work in the chest while also be involved in abdominal cases. Case load is broad, and do not get fooled by the "you-only-perform-lobectomies/wedges". Every patient is different and their anatomy might be somewhat challenging. And from my point of view, I definitely do not get excited when I get awaken to put in a chest tube at 2AM.

Hi everyone, i'm a 3rd yr med student in Canada and I have to make my specialty decision asap.

So far i'm in between cardiac surgery and general surgery. In Canada, cardiac surgery is a direct entry 6 year stream and general surgery is 5 years. Cardiac in Canada is not highly competitive like the I-6 programs in the states. Cardiac and thoracic are separate specialties in Canada. Thoracic is normally entered after general surgery but can still be entered after cardiac (although not typical and you may find it difficult to get community jobs).

My resume is more geared towards a cardiac application, I have electives, research etc in it and my interest has been in it as well as interventional cardiology for quite a while. I have always had an interest in general surgery as well but it has always kind of been a 3rd choice for me until now.

I'm now at the point where I've had experience in medicine, cardiology, CCU, ICU, cardiac surgery and general surgery and I know I want to do surgery over medicine. The trouble is cardiac vs general.

The reason I like general surgery, is that I like the diversity of the cases. I definitely like the idea of being able to operate almost anywhere in a pinch and I like that there are some cases that are simple and short and some that are longer and more complex. I also like the idea of putting off a specialty decision until later. I like that in general surgery, you are very involved in the entire hospital, you go to the emergency while on call for consults, so you get your medicine as well. As staff, I do like the diversity in careers, so there are options for a less hectic work schedule as well as more hectic ones. I do like the idea of one day being able to do international surgery and the idea that if needed, you could be a very useful physician in low resource settings.

What I don't like is that while I do like the GI tract, I don't like it as much as the heart and lungs. I like that with the heart and lungs, there isn't as much poop and gas to deal with, less odd smells. I like emergencies and gen surg provides that but I do find that cardiac and thoracic emergencies excite me the most. I get excited at the idea of ECMO, chest tubes, pneumothorax, TAVI, TEVAR and thoracic trauma more so than abdominal emergencies. The side effects of some general surgery procedures don't interest me as much, like the idea of giving people an ostomy bag. I believe I would be most interested in thoracic, upper GI, trauma, hpb or mis if I were to do gen as opposed to colorectal.

The reason I like cardiac surgery, is first that I always liked the heart and vascular system. Bleeding/blood excites me and the great vessels excite me as well. I like the cardiac patient and the fact that the post-op care is almost like a assembly line and simple and often part-managed by other specialties. Most patients go home post op day 5-7, NPs manage the wards and cardiac anesthesia/ICU manages the CVICU. In the end as a cardiac resident or staff you round symbolically and pull chest tubes, this is nice. I like how cardiac surgery research is booming and how there is real funding in cv research and I like all the advancements in the field and want to participate in that.

I do appreciate that this often means later starts to the day since less rounding and ward work is required. As mentioned above, I like that cardiac patients are nice patients to have, they are typically cooperative with their care and they often very appreciate your help. I also like that the outcomes are good on cardiac surgery, there aren't very many complications that leave patients alive but permanently disabled (true, stroke but this happens less often than an inoperable tumor or mets in general surgery).

What I am most worried about is the future of cardiac surgery. TAVIs are predicted to be at least 50% of all AVR cases in the next 5 years and eventually will likely be 80%+. I don't see cardiac surgery being able to perform most TAVI cases in the future, I believe some surgeons may do them, but the majority will be done by interventional cardiology. Mitraclip is an interventional procedure now and while I see TEVAR and TMVI leaning more cv surgery. The current job market for both general and cardiac is bad, but worse for cardiac in Canada. I'm worried that if most aortic valves leave cardiac surgery, 15-20% of the case load will disappear and I will not be able to find a job in 10 years.

Like I mentioned above, I also dislike the fact that cardiac doesn't deal with much medicine at all. The workup and consults are almost entirely done by cardiology, to the point that most of a cardiac surgeon's non-surgical work is simply reading an angiogram and determining where to place grafts. As a cardiac surgery resident, it is nice that you will get sleep while on call, but I do feel like I would miss going to the emerg for consults and cases (aortic dissection seems to be the only reason for emerg to consult cardiac). I also dislike the fact that in the future if caseload doesn't change, it is very possible that 70% of cardiac cases will be CABG only and I feel like that might not be enough diversity in cases for me.

I could feasibly do general surgery and then apply for a CT fellowship in the states but the issue with that again is that if there are limited jobs in Canada i'm pretty sure that most jobs would go to someone who was dedicated trained in Cardiac and then pursued fellowships over someone who was a 5+3. In addition, another issue is that I know people in cardiac surgery much better and also have a better chance of matching in cardiac than general at this point. In terms of my knowledge, I know cardiac better than general. I know this shouldn't play a role, but in some sense it feels like I've gone so far into the heart and know so much that it would be a shame to turn back.

Any advice or opinions?

If you like cardiac surgery, go for it. I wouldn't worry about what the future holds. People have been saying for years that cardiac surgeons are a dying breed, but they just never seem to go away.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my GS resident colleague discovered cardiac surgery while doing her rotation PGY-2, and she is currently doing elective rotation at various places across the country (I'm from Canada). From what I heard, it is definitely doable to do 5+3 even in Canada, while less advertised and popular than in the US.

Also, have you considered Vascular Surgery? You will have plenty of urgent/emergent consults from the ER, there are plenty of technological advances, you somewhat control more your caseload and referral base. However, patients are among the sickest in the hospital, and often not compliant. They do complicate quite often as well. From what I heard, it is still possible to go the 5+2 route.

I myself matched in Thoracic Surgery. Very happy with that choice, I'll be able to work in the chest while also be involved in abdominal cases. Case load is broad, and do not get fooled by the "you-only-perform-lobectomies/wedges". Every patient is different and their anatomy might be somewhat challenging. And from my point of view, I definitely do not get excited when I get awaken to put in a chest tube at 2AM.

this wears off about halfway through intern year, maybe sooner

Is your friend doing some kind of official or unofficial transfer into a cardiac surg program?
I'm in the same position as the first post (also Canada), really liking cardiac but very, very afraid of the job market here. Enough so to avoid the field if it doesn't improve, but would be nice to know there is the option to switch if it does

Is your friend doing some kind of official or unofficial transfer into a cardiac surg program?
I'm in the same position as the first post (also Canada), really liking cardiac but very, very afraid of the job market here. Enough so to avoid the field if it doesn't improve, but would be nice to know there is the option to switch if it does
She will finish her GS residency, then start her CS residency through "Pathway 2" http://www.royalcollege.ca/cs/group...t/y2vk/mdaw/~edisp/tztest3rcpsced000480~3.pdf

She won't go through CaRMS. Obviously not every program has the ability to accommodate such "non-traditional candidate", but I am sure what the program want is someone senior enough to be quite independant and not have to teach the very basics, after all she will already be a certified surgeon. Also in my mind, it is quite a sign of commitment wanting to pursue 3 extra years of residency instead of starting billing right away!

Regarding job opportunity, I think it is very location-dependant. In my area, cardiac surgeons are all their fifties without any evidence of succession... It's a gamble, but as ThoracicGuy said "If you like cardiac surgery, go for it."

if you like the big city, go with cardiac, no contest, the great downside of cardiac versus gen is no jobs in the community/rural

While more cardiac jobs are in bigger cities, there are quite a few community and rural based cardiac jobs out there...
wow, i had no idea. How rural are we talking 20k population? What procedures are done.

wow, i had no idea. How rural are we talking 20k population? What procedures are done.

Just looking at jobs listed on ctsnet right now:

Zanesville, OH (pop 25k)
Canton, OH (pop 75k)
Roanoke, VA (pop 98k)
Wichita Falls, TX (pop 105k)
Jackson, TN (pop 65k)
Kalispell, MT (pop 21k)
Missoula, MT (pop 69k)
Mountain Home, AR (pop 12k)
St. Joseph, MO (pop 77k)
Terre Haute, IN (pop 61k)
Lawton, OK (pop 97k)
Danville, VA (pop 42k)
Eau Claire, WI (pop 67k)
Iowa City, IA (pop 72k)

I'd say these are all definitely community jobs and most would probably be considered rural.

Reactions: 1 users
Just looking at jobs listed on ctsnet right now:

Zanesville, OH (pop 25k)
Canton, OH (pop 75k)
Roanoke, VA (pop 98k)
Wichita Falls, TX (pop 105k)
Jackson, TN (pop 65k)
Kalispell, MT (pop 21k)
Missoula, MT (pop 69k)
Mountain Home, AR (pop 12k)
St. Joseph, MO (pop 77k)
Terre Haute, IN (pop 61k)
Lawton, OK (pop 97k)
Danville, VA (pop 42k)
Eau Claire, WI (pop 67k)
Iowa City, IA (pop 72k)

I'd say these are all definitely community jobs and most would probably be considered rural.

Roanoke is definitely not close to rural or community. Roanoke serves the surrounding counties and Lynchburg, the sister city on the other side of Bedford County. Roanoke Memorial Hospital is a Level I Trauma Center, Primary Stroke Center, and Chest Pain Center and has a couple dedicated floors to cardiothoracic surgery. Here in Lynchburg, RMH and UVA Medical Center are the two hospitals where complicated patients go (although LGH has a decent cardiac program of its own but it's not as great as people make it out to be.) The moral of the story is that you can't assess this based on hospitals city/county limits population alone.

if u dont like poop u shud not touch gen surg. come on
ur gonna have to do 5 years of pure poop.
from 2am rectal abscess i and d in the ED
to fistulotomies
to daily rectal exams and trouble shooting ostomy bags. gg

Roanoke is definitely not close to rural or community. Roanoke serves the surrounding counties and Lynchburg, the sister city on the other side of Bedford County. Roanoke Memorial Hospital is a Level I Trauma Center, Primary Stroke Center, and Chest Pain Center and has a couple dedicated floors to cardiothoracic surgery. Here in Lynchburg, RMH and UVA Medical Center are the two hospitals where complicated patients go (although LGH has a decent cardiac program of its own but it's not as great as people make it out to be.) The moral of the story is that you can't assess this based on hospitals city/county limits population alone.

I didn't say they were all rural, just most on that list. As it was, I was looking primarily at cities with under 100k population.

I didn't say they were all rural, just most on that list. As it was, I was looking primarily at cities with under 100k population.

It's fine... Just funny I was talking to a hot cardiothoracic nurse from Roanoke Memorial about it on Tinder just the other day.